Tips for opping, some useful things to remember.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Atmos

Tips for opping, some useful things to remember.

Post by Atmos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Below are a list of important things i think i should share with you all.

Windows:
Often we found ourselves having to cross the line of sight of windows. They are the only way people inside have any clue what we are doing, and could be the breaking point of an op. If you are passing a window and you are spotted, it could ruin your precious alibi, or catch you in the thick of say climbing the fence of a the local factory. So to avoid this, i remember two things...

First treat every single window spewing light (unless the blind is up obviously) like their is a person staring at every angle every say 5 seconds. This doesn't mean avoid there view, but not to presume if its not being looked out its safe to wander past, all it takes is the person you didn't know was in the house to walk and glance past to ruin everything.

Secondly on a more positive note, remember what they see from the inside is mostly the reflection of the room, they have to get right up close to the window to get a clear view out of it which isn't something they will do often, but if they are say looking for their cat, you have to be completely concealed to avoid detection as they will be looking more minuscule movement. You should never rely on this fact, but if you catch them glancing directly at you, as long as their not to close to the window, you may not have been detected.

Your Alibi:
This may not be relevant to alot of oppers but is something you should consider none the less, especially if you are commonly undertaking black ops. Even if you are just into some hefty tresspassing, 8 charges of breaking and entering is enough to lock you away for a while...

As i briefly mentioned above, an alibi is vital if the police are involved. It doesn't matter how much evidence they have, if you can prove you weren't even there at the time its all irrelevant. If i need to do something close to where I live that may involve the police, I tell my parents that Im going to a friends house via the bus, then I either simply don't get on the bus, or get a bus back that same night but get off a good while before my home and head to the op. Then if the 5-0 ask around (Luckily this never happened for me) there is no proof i was anywhere near the crime. Of course this is ruined if anyone sees you after your 'away'. Just Because they kept quiet at the time doesn't mean they didn't see you hop that fence.

Human contact:
Human contact is essentially the only way a op can go wrong. If no-one sees you (or the cctv footage of you) there isn't even a problem. So from this we can presume, that minimal human contact is the most solid way to avoid being caught. If you did an op with a team of 20, you could almost guarantee you would be caught. If there was 20 people watching 20 cameras or patrolling the area you intend to infiltrate, you would never get in. So as much as having a middle man in the area might seem pretty neat, he could be luring you into a trap, or more specifically human contact. This though also comes onto the delicate subject of a team member. Personally i think acting in a duo is the most effective and safest method of opping, you know exactly whats happening, without the problems of a larger crowd where everything gets a bit hairy. But also, you should NEVER bring some-one along just because they are willing. Its pretty difficult to get a guy (or girl) who is wanting to op, but they should never hinder you on a important or risky op. You should either test them on something simple or train them to a point where they will assist you.

Your searches:
This may seem a bit paranoid, but if you search "how to make a bomb" for a week straight, and then 3 days later some-one gets seriously injured via IEDs close to your home at 2 in the morning your in trouble (especially when they see you visiting this website lol). So if your planning something big, use a tor browser if you need info. Obviously the police wont invest in this if you simply smashed a window or something, which leads us on to the next point.

Thinking relatively:
Basically, there's no need to hide finger prints when infiltrating say a business. but if anyone is hurt or sensitive info is published, you might want to be a bit more tactical.

This is simply a list of food for thought that currently springs to life, if i get enough ideas again then I might make another one of these.
Enjoy, and any comments or criticism would be taken on board.
<- Shaco could op like a boss xD

Xanatos

Re: Tips for opping, some useful things to remember.

Post by Xanatos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:38 pm

About the windows; just because there isn't a light on inside doesn't mean nobody is looking out. This is where observation becomes very important - before walking into the line of sight take a look around and pay special attention to any windows and doors you might see. Study them carefully for any signs of activity and any clues that someone may be inside. Open curtains, panels and mysterious silhouettes are just some things to look out for. Also, when passing an open window, try to move directly under it if at all possible. Like security cameras, the blind spot of a window is directly beneath.

Another thing about human contact - this mainly applies to black ops - unless you happen to be a highly trained commando and you don't plan on visiting the AO again any time soon and it's completely necessary, it is not cool to leave a string of unconscious bodies around the premises a'la Sam Fisher or Garrett. Eventually they're going to wake up or be discovered, and when they are you can bet your arse they'll tighten security on the place so hard it'll make your head spin. Not to mention a massive investigation and charges of assault as well as whatever else you committed if you get caught. Escape and evasion are in 95% of cases preferable to incapacitation.

There's always a need to hide fingerprints, as well as hairs, footprints and your face. Unless you're doing some UE on an abandoned facility, never compromise.

When posting, remember that grammar is important. Learn the difference between "your" & "you're", "there", "their" & "they're" and realise that "a lot" is in fact two words. :wink:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Atmos

Post by Atmos » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:09 pm

Haha Ill take the window tips into account thats a really good point. And with black ops, I was more referring to launching IED's at windows, more vandalism that actually confronting humans. Also do you really think the authorities would invest in a DNA investigation to find out who has just been crawling around a office block? And i think im lucky enough not to have my DNA and such on file X) (not that it really matters).

And yeah ill try to work on my grammar.

Your the guy who keeps this sight goin man aha keep at it.

n1ghtshade

Post by n1ghtshade » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm

snareboxx wrote: And yeah ill try to work on my grammar.

Your the guy who keeps this sight goin man aha keep at it.
snareboxx wrote: Your the guy who keeps this sight goin man aha keep at it.
snareboxx wrote: Your
:roll:

Nice tips though, I'll try to remember them when opping

Atmos

Post by Atmos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Haha You're*?

Ghillie

Post by Ghillie » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:24 am

Cool.
I'll keep this in mind.