Techniques for entering through windows

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Anthony Sykes

Techniques for entering through windows

Post by Anthony Sykes » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 pm

List yours here!

We have many topics going over how to get through doors, but quite often windows are a better choice, and we have a lack of window-entry topics. New people should realize that windows are often a better entry choice than doors. I use three main methods:

Prying: Just put a flat head at the base of the window and pry.

Shimming: Put a small flat shim like metal such as a hacksaw blade and use it to force open the lock. Alternatively, you can use the blade to cut little notches into the fastener and then slowly push open the fastener. It's not easy, but can be done very quickly with practice.

Popping: Put a screwdriver under the fastener of the lock, and smack the base of the handle, popping the lock off the window. When you do this, realize most window sills are white, and that if you do pop the window off, a bit of white-out, wood glue and skill can conceal ay sort of markings you may have left behind.

I tend to have problems getting through windows un-aided by climbing tools. Any of you parkour gurus have tips to get through a window quickly and painlessly?

Xanatos

Re: Techniques for entering through windows

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 am

The techniques you mentioned would seem to only work on old wooden vertically sliding windows. The modern horizontally sliding ones with the metal frames have much stronger locks and the glass has more of a tendency to shatter. I haven't got any good tips for getting through those aside from cutting through the glass - which is noisy - or breaking the glass by either duct taping it or tapping it through some thick material - which is also noisy. And unless you want to spend all night replacing the window after you're in - which is also noisy - there's no real way of removing any trace of an intrusion. Of course if the window has an exterior lock you can always try picking it open the old fashioned way, but this is unlikely and if you're trying to break into an elevated window you're going to have a hard time trying to pick a lock with only one hand.

On the subject of doors again I happened to get locked out the other night when I needed to return home to pick up a few swords. I had my knife on me, so I tried prying open the back lock but to no avail. I then decided to go SWAT on the motherfucker and kick the door open (aiming towards the lock) which worked like a charm. I managed to dislodge the lock somewhat, but after finding a screwdriver I managed to screw it back in place within a few seconds, good as new.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 am

Xanatos wrote:The techniques you mentioned would seem to only work on old wooden vertically sliding windows. The modern horizontally sliding ones with the metal frames have much stronger locks and the glass has more of a tendency to shatter. I haven't got any good tips for getting through those aside from cutting through the glass - which is noisy - or breaking the glass by either duct taping it or tapping it through some thick material - which is also noisy. And unless you want to spend all night replacing the window after you're in - which is also noisy - there's no real way of removing any trace of an intrusion. Of course if the window has an exterior lock you can always try picking it open the old fashioned way, but this is unlikely and if you're trying to break into an elevated window you're going to have a hard time trying to pick a lock with only one hand.

On the subject of doors again I happened to get locked out the other night when I needed to return home to pick up a few swords. I had my knife on me, so I tried prying open the back lock but to no avail. I then decided to go SWAT on the motherfucker and kick the door open (aiming towards the lock) which worked like a charm. I managed to dislodge the lock somewhat, but after finding a screwdriver I managed to screw it back in place within a few seconds, good as new.
Do you have any pics of the hortizontally sliding windows? All the ones around here are vertical.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:27 am

Most of the ones around here are like these:

Damn near impossible to open from the outside without causing damage.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Huh. Never seen those above ground, but I've seen them as windows that are used on basements, but much smaller in scale. Even businesses around here are vertical, or swinging windows.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:11 am

Indeed. Those horizontal sliders are pretty much non-existent where I live in the US.

It's only verticals.
שד ציד

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:10 am

AVE...

Here there are no horizontal or vertical windows - only casement windows. And those are pain in the ass. If the window has wooden frame, you can try to open it by force. If you are lucky, the lock is crappy and will surrender with no noise. Any other type is hard to open because lock is not accessible from outside and you can't use shimming to open it. Again, you can try to break the lock by force, but it would be hard. Only other method would be to try to remove the rubber seals and disassemble the window frame while at the same time keep the panes from shattering...

About doors:
I live in apartment building made in soviet times. 8 years ago we got new door, anti-burglar type. And you know, what? It's easier for someone to break in SWAT style than pick the lock. Wall around the door would give up. I think it was made of sand and horse shit...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...