Night Ops: 3rd Homework Assignment

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Xanatos

Night Ops: 3rd Homework Assignment

Post by Xanatos » Mon May 07, 2012 9:13 am

Is this post tl;dr? Fuck you, read it anyway. If you don't have time, put a reminder somewhere to look at it when you do have time.

We operatives are a dark lot in the sense that our lifestyle revolves around the night. However, each of us have a day life too that we have to maintain. This daily life often gets in the way and prevents us from opping as often as we'd like. And on the rare occasion we have the time to do an op we either lack the motivation, are out of shape or simply can't get into the "zone".
But just because we can't op enough doesn't mean we have to fall completely out of touch with ourselves. So for the next few weeks I'm going to be setting homework tasks that I expect each and every one of you to complete. Just simple exercises to help you stay sharp and in shape.
These assignments also extend to you visiting guests and silent lurkers - yes, you, the reader - I want you all to participate as well.

Lesson:

This week's lesson is on fitness, now that you should be back in the right mindset for opping it's time to work on the rest of your body. If you don't get much exercise, going on your first ice breaker op after a long hiatus can be a real bore. Travelling long distances becomes tiresome, crouch walking & sticking to cover becomes problematic and navigating obstacles becomes awkward. It's not enough to simply train yourself to a satisfactory level of fitness, because like a sculpted hedge you gradually grow out of shape. You need to "trim" yourself every now and then to keep yourself fit and ready for whatever challenges lie ahead.

I'm sure I don't need to harp on the importance of fitness for operatives who normally travel everywhere on foot, often taking long & difficult paths to their objectives, spend a lot of their time stalking around in a crouched position, frequently circumnavigate tricky obstacles (including climbing onto structures) and occasionally have to run to cover/away from an enemy and strain their muscles trying to remain in awkward hiding places. Oh wait, I just did.

Homework:

Nothing much, just give me... 30 pushups. Per day. Every day. That's not too much to ask, is it? For those of you who have never had to do a pushup before please tell your butler to stop massaging your feet and pay attention! It's a fairly simple procedure: lie down face-first with your palms at about shoulder's width on the ground. Then, while supporting your lower body on your toes, push yourself up off the ground all the way with your arms and lower yourself again, repeating this over and over without letting your body touch the ground. One pushup consists of both the up and down part.

Do 30 of those a day. Can't do 30 pushups at once? Fuck you, do them anyway, I don't care if it takes you all day. If you really can't do 30 at one time then do 10 in the morning, 10 in the afternoon and 10 before you go to bed. Or 15 in the morning and 15 at night; however you divide the numbers just make sure the total adds up to 30. Already got a strict exercise regime? Fuck you, do an extra 30 pushups. Make an effort.
Over time, as your strength builds up, increase the amount of pushups you do. Within a few weeks you'll start to notice a difference in strength.

Drop and give me 30 right now. Here, I'll do them with you.

Brotips: * Do your pushups just before you go to bed. The exercise will exhaust your muscles, letting you fall asleep easier.
* Adhering to the Yamakasi Parkour philosophy, always push yourself to do 1 more than your set goal. If you set yourself 30 pushups, do 31. If you set yourself 50, do 51. If you've broken them up into three 10-pushup parts, do 11 each time instead. Continually push your boundaries.
* So you think you're tough, eh? Do 50 pushups instead. Twice a day.

Class dismissed.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Nukes

Re: Night Ops: 3rd Homework Assignment

Post by Nukes » Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Just got home from the gym. Get online, read post, do 31 push-ups. If this scrawny women can do it, you men can too.
Hey you! Yes YOU! Go here... http://night-ops.net/chat/

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Mon May 07, 2012 10:33 pm

I just added another 30 push-ups to my usual routine which involves sledgehammers and semi tires. If this homo can do it, you men can too!
שד ציד

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Tue May 08, 2012 11:48 am

Just returned from school and -as usual- all I want right now is to take a shower and sleep until next week!
But I push myself to get down and do those push ups.

(I have been taking Kick Boxing lessons last year and I was very fit. But I stopped due to economic problems..
I found a gym in my area that has kick boxing lessons and it is kinda cheap.
So I'm starting again!)

I haven't done any push-up the last 10 months xD Let me try now..
I did 15, then paused for 10 secs and did 16.
Total: 31.
Okay, I promise tomorrow I'll try to do them all at once. Or maybe tonight before sleep.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :P
Society gets the kind of vandalism it deserves.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue May 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Good to see you all putting your back into it. Right, time for another 30... *hits the floor*
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Tue May 08, 2012 4:56 pm

MFW I feel like a badass doing 32 pushups in a dress right before an interview.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue May 08, 2012 7:12 pm

What, just while you were waiting in the hallway or something?

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Tue May 08, 2012 8:11 pm

No, that would've been hilarious though. Just at home right before I left.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Tue May 08, 2012 9:22 pm

What a coincidence Nukes, I'm in the same boat. 31 push-ups before an interview. What's your interview for?
שד ציד

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Tue May 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Well isn't that nifty. Mine was for a scholarship.

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Thu May 10, 2012 9:54 pm

Awesome sauce. Mine was for Hardees. :P

So did another 31; this time in the waiting room of the Eye Care Center.
שד ציד

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Thu May 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Like a boss. I was doing some at the gym yesterday and as I was pushing up for the last one my shoulder ended up almost popping out of place. Hurt like hell. Shoulder, Y U no work right?!

Coryne

Post by Coryne » Mon May 21, 2012 11:44 am

I ask you guys to remember about warm-up. Elbows and wrists mostly. It's as important as proper position. I had to do push-ups next to a mirror to fix my position because I used to bend my back and didn't even know about it (until the pain started :P).

n1ghtshade

Post by n1ghtshade » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:38 pm

Fitness has never been a problem with me since 10th grade in high school as that is when I got into running. I do 2x25 set of push ups every night, 15 pull ups and 500 crunches every night before I go to sleep. I also run everyday for cross country practice, been able to get a 4:30 mile.

I also found that eating healthy as a significant effect on how good of shape you are in, and your energy levels. I always fall into a junk eating slump through the summer months, and I can feel it. As soon as I started to eat healthy and get a good night's rest, my energy levels and stamina increased dramatically.

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:04 am

i wont let you down xanatos!
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

Pontifleviticus

Post by Pontifleviticus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:40 am

Alright here is 30.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:53 am

Sod it, here's another 30.

Wind

Post by Wind » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Assignment Week 3: Fitness

Another tl;dr post from me. Sorry! Read on if you are out of shape and want to get some ideas from someone else working on getting back in shape. I share some resources that have helped me.

This was good timing for me for this assignment because I just started a new 9-week workout program a couple weeks ago. I have a long way to go on my fitness journey. However, I have lost 75 lbs. and am working on losing another 35 lbs. to get to my goal weight. In addition to the pushup assignments, I have included the other elements of my program in case anyone else might be interested in any of it.

Generally, I think of my program as having two days a week that are pretty intense for me: Sundays and Wednesdays. The rest of my week is more work on mobility, martial arts, general athletic skills, and active recovery. Saturdays are my rest day; however, I will do the 30 pushups on Saturdays to complete this assignment.

Good article on different types of pushups: https://www.outsideonline.com/2390287/types-of-pushups

SUNDAY
1) 30 regular pushups (3 sets of 10)
2) 1 hour of MovNat (2 minutes per exercise). MovNat came from the same root as parkour, but it is more focused on fitness and primal movement training. If you are interested in it, here is the YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MovNat . In the channels playlist, I use the movement library and WOD playlists.
3) Flexibility holds (1 minute each)
a) Low squat
b) Low crouch (each side)
c) Shoulder stretch on both sides (one arm reaches down the back, and the other reaches up the back to try to touch fingertips)
d) Front splits (both sides)
e) Middle splits
f) Kneeling (try to touch my heels to my butt. This is hard for me post ACL surgery).

MONDAY
1) 30 Hindu pushups (3 sets of 10)
2) 40 minutes of shadowfighting following FightTips. FightTips teaches online MMA skills. If you are interested, you can get a lifetime membership (https://fighttips.com) for the cost of only 3 months of a regular MMA gym membership. For that price, you get access to several programs they have laid out, an active forum where the coaches and other members respond to questions, and the ability to upload videos of your techniques and get feedback. All the coaches have real sport fighting experience, and one fights in the UFC, so the material is legit. Also, for those struggling with money, they do have a pretty good YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos.
3) 20 minutes of shadowfighting on Ninpo taijutsu and basic self-defense techniques.

TUESDAY
1) 30 triangle pushups (5 sets of 6)
2) 40 minutes of weapon work, including katana, knife, throwing knife, bo, hanbo, escrima, kusari fundo, tactical flashlight, improvised thrown objects, and drawing my pepper spray.
3) 20 minutes stretching

WEDNESDAY
1) 30 wide-grip pushups (3 sets of 10)
2) 100 air squats
3) 100 butt kickers
4) 100 pushups progression (2 sets of 50 from knees)
5) 100 crunches
6) 100 pull-ups progression (2 sets of 50 underbar rows with knees bent)
7) 20 minute jog (with some backward and sideways running too)
8. Flexibility holds (1 minute each)
a) Low squat
b) Low crouch (each side)
c) Shoulder stretch on both sides (one arm reaches down the back, and the other reaches up the back to try to touch fingertips)
d) Front splits (both sides)
e) Middle splits
f) Kneeling (try to touch my heels to my butt. This is hard for me post ACL surgery).

THURSDAY
1) 30 Spiderman pushups (6 sets of 5)
2) 50 minutes Systema mobility. There are some real nut jobs teaching Systema, so it gets a bad rap. However, I have found that Systema’s mobility and low acrobatics work is really interesting.
One legit Systema self-defense guy is Kevin Secours. Here is his YouTube channel if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/user/systemacanada
You can also find interesting stuff by YouTubing “Systema low acrobatics.” Here are a couple example videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J2PCxAl_FM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5gGJx ... OP7HIJ0jhP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcA1xuMW_So

3) 10 minutes AccuBall (this is a boxing training device that is a ball that you hit that is attached to an elastic cord with a headband around your noggin)

FRIDAY
1) 30 Sphinx pushups (3 sets of 10)
2) 12 minutes balance work (1 minute of each below)
a) Stand on left foot, put right leg hanging forward (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
b) Stand on right foot, put left leg hanging forward (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
c) Stand on left foot, hang right leg to the side (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
d) Stand on right foot, hang left leg to the side (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
e) Stand on left foot, hang right leg behind you (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
f) Stand on right foot, hang left foot behind you (lean forward, sideways, and back) & (look at one point, move eyes, look left, look right, look behind you, look up, look down)
g) Stand on left foot, hang right foot in front (eyes closed)
h) Stand on right foot, hang left foot in front (eyes closed)
i) Stand on left foot, hang right leg to the side (eyes closed)
j) Stand on right foot, hang left leg to the side (eyes closed)
k) Stand on left foot, hang right leg behind you (eyes closed)
l) Stand on right foot, hang left foot behind you (eyes closed)
3) 10 minutes juggle
4) 10 minutes hacky sack
5) 10 minutes heavy bag work (headbutts, shoulders, elbows, pushes, palm strikes, punches, chops, knees, stomp kicks, front kicks, round kicks, side kicks, back kicks)
6) 10 minutes ukemi (forward rolls, sideways rolls, yoko nagare, backward rolls, cartwheels)
7) 10 minutes foam roller and lacrosse ball for muscle release

SATURDAY
1) 30 pike pushups (2 sets of 15)
2) Rest

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:48 am

That's a lotta weapon work to cram into 40 minutes. Well, seems you got this assignment down-pat. A+

Wind

Post by Wind » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:13 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:48 am
That's a lotta weapon work to cram into 40 minutes.
True! Sometimes I focus on one or two weapons, but this week I was enjoying quickly hitting the basics of each.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Post by Sicarius » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:32 pm

How the hell do you have so much time for all of that and the motivation? As for the exercising itself, I recommend you do fewer pushups and increase other areas significantly, as I will explain why. However, it is your exercise routine and your body, so do whatever you like and works well for you.

Starting off, we have to analyze what mainstream fitness "practice", for lack of a better word, is most applicable to stealth? Well, stealth is really just being aware of your environment and moving in a way that kinetically does not disturb the environment and any living creatures' senses in the vicinity. So, going back to the first question we can now answer it with; Parkour. Parkour is all about moving in an environment, mostly urban, in the most effective and fastest way possible. This means it is great for what we do, but not necessarily the moves, but the exercises themself. I highly recommend that you read "Parkour strength conditioning: Overcoming obstacles for fun and fitness" by Ryan Ford. It is semi-accurate and discusses many exercises. The part of stealth that requires exercise is odd strength positions, such as being able to hold a climb up and being able to stay crouched for a hell of a long time(legs).

However, it is not entirely trustworthy. I will currently cover what is good about it. The book makes you think about what an exercise is actually doing to your body, not just blindly working out. It details harder and easier progressions and stresses something very imp[ortant. STRETCHING AND JOINT preparation. I get so irritated when people forget these in normal exercise routines, but in parkour and stealth, it is 100% necessary. Stretching obviously makes you more flexible, making many positions easier to achieve as well as fluid transitions. Stretching before an operation is NECESSARY. Just like you stretch before any other major physically straining activity, do it for this as well. Also, even if you do not care about your body still stretch to eliminate joint cracking. Nothing like sneaking past someone and they hear your ankle crack lmfao. As for joint prep, it is just as necessary as stretching. Your knees suffer a lot if you stay crouched most of the time as you should. Anything used to strengthen joints for impacts and strenuous positions is joint prep.

Here is a "funny" story as to why it is so important. My first op was just sneaking out and climbing a nearby building. The building had no ladder, but it had the main roof then what appears to be a freezer for the restaurant. The freezer was lower to the ground by 6 feet then the roof. Next to the freezer is a weird dumpster thing about 5 feet tall. I stepped on the top of the dumpster thing, then clambered onto the freezer(about a 5-foot gap from the dumpster to the freezer), then onto the roof. The problem was then getting down. I had to drop maybe 10 feet onto concrete, and the result was a knee issue. Every other time I crouch or squat, bending at the knee past a right angle, something moves that is definitely not supposed to. I hear a crack and then hear and feel what sounds like a tear. There is rarely pain, so I do not address it, and with enough stretching, before an operation, it goes away briefly.

As for what I dislike from the book, the guy seems adamant that strength and endurance are not possible to achieve together in "great" quantity for anything. He says parkour is about rapid strength to cross many obstacles, which I think is partly true. However, Ryan Ford has apparently never heard of special forces, extreme CrossFit practitioners, or just common sports. Both of these have a huge emphasis on strength and endurance. However, you can never reach your greatest level of endurance while training both, or vice versa. But he just says it makes no sense even at a basic level. He also says that once you have mastered an exercise 8 reps(example=8 squats) is enough and that you have to move on to a harder variation. This is something I find makes great sense and is overlooked, but only 8 reps? I would play it safe and do 20 maximum. If you go through squats with ease, learn shrimp squats instead of doing 100. The harder variation will challenge your body more than doing the same easy thing 100 times. And personally, I would be bored as hell just doing 100 squats or whatever else.

Ryan also touched on doing exercises for a purpose. Think about what the exercise or movement is doing for you. Pushups only do decent things for your core/abs and train great horizontal pushing. There are better core/ab exercises, so if that is the focus find some of those. As for horizontal pushing, how is this useful to parkour? It is not for the most part, but a huge part of stealth is crawling. Crawling is quadrupedal, and many crawling variations require to push up like motions. So, push-ups have a place here. Once basic push-ups are mastered, move onto harder variations, which you already have done in this post. However, there is such a thing as too many push-ups. I think you have reached that and should train legs significantly more as well as vertical pushing(part of climbing up and over) as well as pulling(pullups, other part of climbing up and over).

However, it would be pretty cool to see if you could do an entire B&E mission through crawling :) .

Another crucial point is just running. People either typically do not run or just run 2-3 miles. I am trying to get my lazy ass into working out in the first place, but when I did/do I tried to run a minimum of a 5k. I think 10k-15k is the sweet spot of being able to do it every day, eventually with practice and speed. I was dying at the end but I ran my 5k close to as fast as I could and could do it in 20 minutes or so. Pretty pathetic in my opinion, but the average fitness person says it is "impressive".

If trying to aim for the realism of the military or splinter cell, martial arts exercises are necessary too. I also recommend mixing in some ninja BS, like balancing or hanging for a long time.

I am probably missing a few things, sorry :( . If I remember, I will edit it.

I am also speaking through research and little experience in all of this write-up, so you can choose to believe me or not. I am just trying to help you based on what I know, but if what you feel you are doing works, then continue. Thank you for reading, and have a good day!
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:17 pm

Stealth Technique also has plenty of videos for stealth-related exercises (hanging, crouching, stretches, climbing, etc). Pretty good routines.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:40 pm

I like his old videos, I will not lie I am a tad disappointed with his new ones. He has been publishing katana stuff for soon to be 3 months now... As for his old workout videos, I thought some were useful and unique, like the finger conditioning one. I certainly appreciate the amount of squat videos and variations he does too. However, some of the workout videos are just about niche stuff like hanging upside down or he neglects the critical stuff like not killing your knees.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Wind

Post by Wind » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks, @Sicarius! I really appreciate your feedback and the time you took to make it.

Currently, I am at the third week of a nine-week training cycle based on the program I created (as flawed as it is). One of my main goals with it is to be consistent, not miss a day, and not alter it in anyway. The not altering it probably sounds stupid and unnecessarily stubborn; however, one of the challenges that I have had in the past is constantly tweaking my programs to the point I have no consistency and, therefore, little accountability.

This being said, I am already starting to think about my next nine-week program, and your suggestions will be very helpful for that. Thanks!!

Wind

Post by Wind » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 pm

@Xanatos, thanks! I love Stealth Technique's videos. Thanks for the suggestion about some of his videos more on working out. That will be helpful for me to consider when I make my next nine-week program. Thanks you!

Wind

Post by Wind » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:41 pm

@Sicarius, I just ordered Parkour Strength Conditioning: Overcoming Obstacles for Fun and Fitness by Ryan Ford. This is the second time you recommended it to me, so it better be good. If not, I will send it back to you for a refund :D Seriously though, I appreciate the recommendation.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:18 pm

Of course! :D

NewGuy

Post by NewGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:42 am

I have been adding 30 pushups to my normal routine for a little over a week now as a cooldown

My normal routine is as follows

M/W/F
-a 20 minute jog
-Basic parkour movements

T/TH/SA
-3 sets of
12-15 pull ups into 20-30 pistol squats each leg - no rest
-3 sets of
15-20 barstool dips into 10-15 forearm pullups - no rest
-3 sets of
15-20 one armed kettlebell swings (40 lbs) into 50-70 dumbbell shrugs (20 lbs) - no rest
-3 sets of
25-30 dumbbell forearm curls (20 lbs) into 15-20 diamond pushups - no rest
-3 sets of
30 second plank + 30 second side plank each side into 30 situps - no rest
-1 minute rest if needed
-one minute of one legged jump rope each leg
-As many one armed pushups each side that I can do before I gas out
-Long walk for cooldown

Every day
-grip trainer
-30 pushups

NewGuy

Post by NewGuy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:47 am

All and all, if you don't rest, and do something other than the long walk for the cooldown, this only takes 20-30 minutes to do. The idea behind the lack of rest comes from military and police training. They want you to be able to do things back to back, showing great endurance. The guy who can do 50 pushups then 50 squats then 50 pushups then 50 squats is better in their eyes than the person who can do 100 pushups, then after a 5 minute rest do 100 squats, then another 5 minute rest another 100 pushups. Other than that my body type and size are similar to Bruce Lee, so I looked into what he did and modified it to fit the equipment I had at my disposal. It's not as intense as what he did, I'm not fit enough for that just yet, nor do I have the gear he had just yet, but eventually!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:08 am

Varying your exercise is a good substitute for a 'proper' rest: do some arm stuff, then do some leg stuff while your arms recuperate.