Official map thread.

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
II CraftyCommando II

Official map thread.

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:48 pm

I've decided to make this the official NO Maps thread.
Essentially, for those who are interested, this will be a place for you to post and discuss maps and physical outlines of OPs past present and future; as well as the possible benefits or downsides to keeping records of your ops on maps.
A few rules.
There will be NO identifying characteristics that could give away your location within 100 miles.
This means:
-no city, town, village, or state/region names
-no coordinates
-no addresses
-no postal codes
-no names of businesses or "targets"
-no names of state owned property
I understand that this may be difficult if you live near any easily recognizable places on a map. If this should occur and you still wish to share, try to be as obscure as possible. Use your own judgement.
Locally specific names like street names, rivers and lakes, parks and what have you as long as they are places that occur commonly in many communities. (IE state street)
Mark all Points of interest with a marker like "X", "Target X" or something of that nature instead of something specific.
As far as how you wish to modify the rest of your personal maps with legends, waypoints, directions, and anything else, i leave up to you.
Be creative, the point of this is to share info and learn from each other without divulging ANY sensitive info.
Thanks!
Ill Start. I have used an old OP as the template for the map to give you guys an idea of what I'm talking about. This is very basic, as I am still learning the mapping tools (I'm using Google Earth).
More detailed maps to come as i get better at mapping and such.
Please See my operation, OP: Empty Nest for details.
Attachments
Map.jpg
Here is my first map, Not much to work with, i know. But I hope it gets the job done.
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.

Illusion

Re: Official map thread.

Post by Illusion » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:19 am

Moved to "The Art of Night Ops" as it's not specifically an op itself.

Otherwise, good idea! Will post some up later no doubt
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Polyptoton

Post by Polyptoton » Sun May 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Google maps has a terrain feature that can be very useful. A half mile through the woods is no big deal, unless the elevation changes a few hundred feet. A topographical or terrain map also is less identifiable.

II CraftyCommando II

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Mon May 07, 2012 12:04 am

thanks!!1 again, please feel free to post your own maps!
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.