An old stealth guide i found (worth a read)

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Ghost

An old stealth guide i found (worth a read)

Post by Ghost » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Last week i was wandering around the "kewl" side of the interwebs, and managed to find a pretty decent guide on how to stay hidden. Some of the ideas are a little outdated, but all together it seems like a very good guide for beginners who are looking for some advice on how to hide, and how to move undetected. Some of the theory it covers, like being seen vs. being perceived, is VERY relevant even today. Keep in mind that it's based on some korean school of nijutsu, and take it with a grain of salt, but who knows, even i learned something. Definitely worth a read, at the very least.

http://www.ninjagym.com/level-4/stealth ... ty-1-of-2/

http://www.ninjagym.com/html-files-to-i ... t_two.html

Also, pardon the website, it seems a little bit "kewl" at first glance, but the guide itself is decent material, even going so far as to acknowledge that there is no "secret master technique" for becoming invisible, and that practicing the basics is really the best way to become proficient at being stealthy.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Teutoni

Re: An old stealth guide i found (worth a read)

Post by Teutoni » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:03 am

That was an interesting read. Good though basic info and a nice sense of humor.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Celtisch

Re: An old stealth guide i found (worth a read)

Post by Celtisch » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:36 pm

Hey those are some good tips!
S - stepping
T - touch
E - exhale
A - attention
L - listen
T - tolerance
H - harmony

Stepping

This is your most important skill to staying quiet. You depend on your foot work. Practice won‘t make it perfect, but it will sure make a difference. Before completing a step, keep your weight on the ground leg until the other leg is in position. This requires balance and harmony to master.

Touch

Stepping is only half the battle. Use your hands and feet to feel for obstacles and for clearing the way. Thick soled shoes make it difficult to feel and manage over a noisy terrain. Either where light shoes or go barefoot. The more you can feel your surroundings, the better you chances are of moving through them quietly.

Exhale

Don‘t hold your breath when you move. Breath as you step, twist, turn or lower. This will keep you and your muscles relaxed and assist in your ability to adapt with your movements.

Attention

Pay attention to your surroundings and not just the ground below. Keep a circular vision at all times - focus when you step, but keep your attention on your environment. This includes all your senses and not just visual.

Listen

Stay alert to the sounds you are making and pay attention to the way these sounds correlate with your surroundings. Stop completely if you make a sound, listen for any reactions or any signs of being discovered. Keep a constant ear for any changes in the environment.

Tolerance

Patience is your key to staying quiet. If you are not patient, your movements will be jerky and mistakes will occur. How long can you tolerate standing still? How long can you tolerate remaining absolutely quiet? How long can you tolerate holding your leg frozen in the air prior to stepping?

Harmony

Stay focused, keep the knees bent and move with all the muscles and joints flowing naturally. Move like a cat - balanced, patient and fluid.
Thanks for the links. :D
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate."
- Abraham Lincoln