Timing

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Celtisch

Timing

Post by Celtisch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:07 am

I had looked and hadn't seen a thread made specifically about this yet...

So, what would you say would be best time that you go on your "Night Ops adventures"?
Obviously at night, but what time range, specifically?

Around 9 or 10 pm? Midnight? Early morning?
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate."
- Abraham Lincoln

Xanatos

Re: Timing

Post by Xanatos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:58 am

I usually conduct ops at around 2-3am, sometimes earlier during winter (people generally go to bed earlier in cold weather) and weekdays if I get the chance.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:31 am

Coincidentaly the same time as Xanatos is my ideal time really.

Its a pretty good question actually, I can't think of any real reason behind it. Often though, the guy I explore with travels a fair distance, so I'll meet him in the evening - grab some food and do a quick recce; then come back later.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Celtisch

Post by Celtisch » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:58 am

I was thinking around the same time, between midnight and 2 a.m. maybe.

I think my reasoning is because I've noticed a lot of cities/towns around that time it seems really empty and desolate outside... Not many cars or people out. Peaceful. :D
Unlike at 9 or 10 p.m. when people are getting off of work and getting late shopping done.

That's just my thoughts on it though.
"The problem with quotes found on the internet is that they're not always accurate."
- Abraham Lincoln

Nukes

Post by Nukes » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:43 pm

The ideal time I agree is midnight-early morning. We however live in a pretty small town so we usually go around 8-9 in the evening. We do a lot of low-risk stuff anyways and usually the places we go are semi-secluded.
Hey you! Yes YOU! Go here... http://night-ops.net/chat/

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Agreed that the prime opping hours lie between 12 and 3 A.M. Those are normally the hours for me as well.

Though sometimes I feel rather ballsy, like about a week or so ago I ran an op from 6 P.M. (since it was still winter here, sun went completely down around 4:30 or 5.) to 3 or 4 A.M.
That's about a 9 or 10 hour excursion.

It's a major rarity that I ever do that. It's usually something that's premeditated with multiple objectives laid over a large area of operations.
שד ציד

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:03 am

4 am is attack time. lol. I usually leave around midnight
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:15 am

Yeah, I think the longest thing I've done has been 12+ hours. 1100->0030 watching security, infiltrated by 0100, staggered sleeping* 0200->0700, then 3 hours actually exploring the location before having about a 2 hours wait whilst there was security training going on. However, if you note the first 90 minutes were just watching, the op really actually began at around 2am - as I've posted in this thread; generally my golden time.

*not that I advise you to sleep! If you do though, generally safety in numbers applies here, we only slept as a)we'd both opped the night before and were exhausted, but primarily b)the site was hazardous with windows that would show any torchlight but structural features that required light to navigate. Risks were minimised in two ways: 1) Finding a room in a incredibly dark part of the building, door had frosted glass and was forced closed with a chair. 2) Staggered sleeping patterns (0230->0400, 0400->0530, 0530->0615, 0615->0700) and the proper use of foil blankets etc. Whilst it was far from ideal, it's what we deemed best in the end. In this scenario it did however mean exfil during daylight.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:42 pm

Typically, my ops range from 12am-3:30am. I usually leave base around 12am and return by 3:30. I've never been out past 3:30, but it seems as if activity would begin to increase in my area around that time.

I've run ops from 10pm-12am before. However, those were very low-key operations. The amount of activity in my area that occurs before midnight is a little too much for my tastes.

Celtisch

Post by Celtisch » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:44 pm

So it's agreed that that's probably the best time? :wink:

I actually end up leaving around 11:00 p.m. because I need to walk in to town (I live about 7 miles out of town).
Sometimes I will actually leave at 12 and end up being back by 4 or 5 in the morning and it will still be dark.
- Abraham Lincoln

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 am

I've gone out as early as 11pm, and stayed out as late as 5am, but those were both sort of extreme circumstances. No one likes an op where you're literally racing against the rising sun to get back home. My "prime opping range" is probably between 1am and 3am, but i don't mind stretching that an hour either way. I tend to think of things like this in a scale, more or less.

1am - 3am > Ideal Tier
12am - 4am > Acceptable Tier
11pm - 5am > Holyshitisthatthefuckingsuncomingup?!? Tier
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 am

Therin the Hand wrote:11pm - 5am > Holyshitisthatthefuckingsuncomingup?!? Tier
We've all been on that one at some point. :lol:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Celtisch

Post by Celtisch » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:40 am

Therin the Hand wrote: 11pm - 5am > Holyshitisthatthefuckingsuncomingup?!? Tier
Actually I did that one pretty recently. It was more like 1 am - 4:30 am though. :D
- Abraham Lincoln

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:55 pm

Therin the Hand wrote:11pm - 5am > Holyshitisthatthefuckingsuncomingup?!? Tier
That was actually the very last one I did. Was several minutes away from sleeping the day away in the woods.
שד ציד

2bit

Post by 2bit » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I usually start at 3am, sometimes later if the drive or walk takes a while. End whenever the OP calls for, usually 3:30, or a half an hour after my infiltration.