Razor Wire

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
Lucian Neo

Razor Wire

Post by Lucian Neo » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:01 am

Ever get caught on barb wire? Well razor wire is just a bitch. Barb wire looks cute and harmless compared to razor wire.

What is razor wire? It's exactly what the name implies. http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/110520 ... r_wire.jpg
That is the razor wire. THIS IS NOT BARB WIRE. This is much more dangerous and should be dealt with using extreme caution.

If anyone has any ideas on navigating this problem feel free to post.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Xanatos

Re: Razor Wire

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 am

Nothing comes to mind except carefully cutting away a section of the coil to climb through, and I wouldn't think the doormat trick would work on such wire. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this before, although I have seen it up close and I can tell you it's not pleasant.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:48 am

Xanatos wrote:Nothing comes to mind except carefully cutting away a section of the coil to climb through, and I wouldn't think the doormat trick would work on such wire. Fortunately I haven't had to deal with this before, although I have seen it up close and I can tell you it's not pleasant.
I personally wouldn't be surprised if the doormat trick worked better than on ordinary barbed wire; my reasoning being that ordinary barbed wire has the advantage of having longer protrusions - essentially meaning there is always the risk of a barb over-penetrating the material.

However, all razor wire has going for it is it's namesake - it's composed of many razor blade like prices. Now when you combine the natural effects of the elements; you can see that the chances of them being sharp enough to cut clean through a doormat is quite low. Furthermore, they have to work harder to penetrate - as they don't have the length advantage that a barb does.

The downside is obviously that the barbs on barbed wire provide the doormat with *grip* to stay in place, but I dare say the pointy ends of the blades on razor wire may do the same..
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 pm

In my experience, razor wire has always remained true to it's name. There are a number of military guys i know who've worked with the stuff in the past, and claimed that even when wearing full protective gear (heavy leather gloves, welding leathers, ect) they still got all cut up. The worst type of razor wire is the "loose" stuff, not the stuff that's stretched tight. Once that loose stuff gets hooked into you, it bounces around like a spring and hooks into you/slices you up even more.

the only thing i could think of, other than taking massive amounts of time to cut through the wire, would be to make a kevlar blanket of sorts, made from the same material that you find "cut proof gloves" in:

http://www.askthemeatman.com/images/ans ... 0glove.jpg

But even then, the logistics of it would be a nightmare - the blanket would be large and heavy, and once you threw it over the razor wire, there'd be no way in hell you'd get that blanket back off.

To me, it really looks like your best bet would be simply lifting up the fence and going under (car jack is your friend), cutting through just enough that you could low crawl through the fence at the bottom, or even digging a small trench underneath the fence, just deep enough for you to squeeze through.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Neurotic Anomaly

Post by Neurotic Anomaly » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:46 pm

I like the just crawl under the fence idea.
I ran an op a while back that involved a fence topped with barbed wire. We went up to where it was attached to a support poll, removed the thin metal wires holding it fast, lifted it up a bit, and went under. Went completely painless.
It's easy because if you really want to not leave a trace, you can always reattach the wires afterwards.
שד ציד

Lucian Neo

Post by Lucian Neo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:04 am

Whatever your comfortable with Neuro,
A friend of mine said to just throw a heavy leather jacket over it and climb over, I'm not going to ruing a leather jacket for an op! That's just stupid and a waste of money.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the hell is the ceiling?

People are like slinkies, not really good for anything, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs;)

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:18 am

haha, screw wasting a leather jacket!

I remember you discussing this in chat Lucian, as a general rule of thumb (and I know this doesn't quite apply in your case):
-Gates: Often present a weakness, as for the gate to function properly (atleast if it's for vehicular access) the razor wire has to stop to allow it to open. Which just so happens to be at the point where it's easiest to climb..!
-Fence: Obviously you'll check the fence, but depending on the fence type you're bound to find some weaknesses. I'm generally coming across these fences, which have about 2 weaknesses and 1 vulnerability that I can immediately think of - but thats for another thread!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:54 am

^ Those fences are typically quieter to climb over but aren't nearly as easy as standard chain link fences. Some establishments take things a bit further and combine the two fences; spike/spear fence with a layer of chain link to block the gaps.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:34 pm

AVE...

Make a barb-o-mat. Get a piece a leather and sheet of 1mm thick steel. Cut the sheet into about 0,5" wide strips. Put them on the leather, 2mm gaps between them, use tape to fix them, then drill some holes and use rivets to connect leather with strips. This way you will get tool to pass both barb wire and razor wire...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Xanatos wrote:^ Those fences are typically quieter to climb over but aren't nearly as easy as standard chain link fences. Some establishments take things a bit further and combine the two fences; spike/spear fence with a layer of chain link to block the gaps.
Yeah, thats a pretty good approach - because despite the spacing between the spike fencing; it's actually not enough to get your feet through. Furthermore, if you manage to find a vulnerable part of the spike fencing, you still have a secondary fence. I can think of one or two ways... but once again; it all comes down to how much (if any) damage you're happy with.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:48 am

"I used to be a pretty good operative, then I took a fence to the knee."

Epic

Post by Epic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 am

I got my sweat pants stuck onto some wire, the result was a rip. :roll:

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:13 am

Before i learned to take my time when crossing barbed wire, i once came several inches away from loosing my right nut. Ruined a perfectly good pair of black BDU pants, too.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:34 am

I climbed over a barbed wire fence in my op video, twice. I didn't record me actually climbing over it because I needed two hands so had to put the camera away, but it's not that big an issue if you're careful about it.