How do you check if someone is home before entering?

Exchange the techniques and skills needed to walk the shadows. Post your guides and how-tos here.
riveto

How do you check if someone is home before entering?

Post by riveto » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:00 am

As the title says, what are your methods for checking if someone is home before enter the AO?

Basically there's a house with 3 people living in it, in separate bedrooms. I need to get my hands on something in one of the rooms. I think I could enter the house at night or over New Years Eve when they will hopefully be out. Is there a way to check if someone is in that specific room or anyone in the house? Under door camera? Shine a laser from outside through the window and see if there's any movement from inside? Let off a firecracker or something loud and see if any movement?

Xanatos

Re: How do you check if someone is home before entering?

Post by Xanatos » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:38 am

The old-fashioned way, basically. Check if there's a car in the driveway, if there's a light on inside, then check the windows CAREFULLY. Other than some kind of high-tech thermal imaging gear, you're gonna have to play it by ear.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Intruder

Post by Intruder » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:45 pm

First of all, avoid residences if you can. Frankly it's not just the house - You have the neighbourhood. Ring cams. Dogs. People leaving, arriving late. Houses are where most people are most aggressive about property. I woudn't sugget ever doing it. If you are close, and know the area then double that risk. Now you will be a known quantity. It is too easy to make a stupid mistake. Find places that have closing and opening hours. They often stick to the staffer times. A house can have someones kid home alone or someone with a very decent weaponlight and the doctrine to shoot.

This also goes into how you observe a place. Often scouting out things in advance is how you can get the most basic preliminary checks done. You want a timetable? You need the time to watch and write it down. Note leaving times. Note if lights come on at exactly the same time each night. Note mail and pileups of mail. Note lawn length. Then rethink everything. You can start to see how it's not that simple. Or if it is simple it is never easy.

If you scout in the near dark you can follow someones car as they leave. See what kind of work they do. Sometimes the job is more interesting where they go. Consider that.
You can use a burner phone or prebuilt devices to scan for wifi and blu tooth. Note what names come up. Service provider names. Addresses that contain variants of the same. "14st" vs "14st-B" Incicating they might have a renter or extra person in the house. You can often even find people who have poorly optimised phones with roaming discovery of devices on. This is common with boomers. When in doubt, Ding dong ditch them. My favourite discovery tactic is to leave a package for them and see how long it takes for someone to notice and pick it up. That way you have a reaction timeline. But you have to be around. Be present. Check on it. Thus you take the repeated risks of showing up and being in the space. This is to be avoided as much as possible. The more travel, the more time in the zone, the more you go and arrive, the more you use cars, take specific tools - the worse you are doing. Minimise this sort of risk. Or don't do it at all is better.

Check dates on meters and compare usage to neighbours. That can tell you who spends the most hours home. But this is all before. That's why homes and residences are so iffy. You need to do a lot to do it right and it's often not worth the screw around. It's so much easier to be seen where people sleep,take sick days,leave,holidays and living general life. Find somewhere else. Somewhere commercial.

basewatcher

Post by basewatcher » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:42 pm

Use Kali linux to profile their wireless devices, look up the MAC and determine if its a cell phone. Combined with images you will know how many people live there, strive to fingerprint each phone. On ops night, just check to see if its associated with their WAP.

You can also use Kismet to intercept their wireless smart meter shit, but it requires either a really isolated tgt or walking up and getting the numbers printed boldly on the front of the meter. Then, profile them to determine typical use when occupied vs unoccupied. Dont rely on this alone. Its a good way to find grow houses for drug ripoffs too.

My favorite is placement of a trail camera on their vehicles. When they leave, you know about it.

If you do gain entry, put a forensically sterile microcontroller on their network. Use anti-tampering measures. Im not above putting chemically initiated thermite charges in mine with a tilt switch. Black bag job, give yourself a backdoor to enter digitally. If they have CCTV, you can monitor, spoof or disrupt it from this box. If its wireless, jam that shit, the freqs are all published.