For those of you who take pictures...

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
fx1k

For those of you who take pictures...

Post by fx1k » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:51 pm

What kind of tripod do you normally use?

For the past month or so, I've had to lug around this big heavy tripod. Today, I ordered one of these:
http://www.adorama.com/images/product/tpgpslr.jpg

I'm pretty excited about this. Does anybody else use one of these? If so, how much of a difference would you say it makes?

Xanatos

Re: For those of you who take pictures...

Post by Xanatos » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:56 am

I've been meaning to get a tripod for a while but I never get around to it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:10 am

Just received it in the mail. I will give it a good test run and get around to giving my review on it soon.

Turok117

Post by Turok117 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm

I've got one of these, it's pretty interesting - very stable, the 'feet' are magnetic, but it has a torch on the head as opposed to a camera. I guess it does it's job well enough, though.

fx1k

Post by fx1k » Sun May 15, 2011 2:18 pm

To follow up on this:

It's been about a month since I created this thread, and I've had plenty of time to use the tripod.

It's awesome. It makes it much easier to snap pictures as it is light, portable, and flexible. I don't even notice it as an extra piece of gear on my operations due to the weight and size. I can bring this thing on just about every operation. The flexible arms makes it very easy to set up, even in the most adverse conditions for a regular tripod. The legs are surprisingly strong; they can hold my camera up with ease. Even when the camera is upside down or the legs are wrapped around a pole they hold tight.

If you are looking to snap some photos on your operations without having to go through too much trouble, I highly recommend getting one of these.
Last edited by fx1k on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 am

Picked one of these up the other day. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it seems pretty sweet.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:02 am

I had a baby one for my compact, and a big one for my dSLR - and they were both awesome. Unfortunately, I lost my dSLR one pretty quickly (within a month I think actually, or maybe even 2 weeks :/) so I can't comment on long term use.

I've got by with a big tripod before - and it's generally what I use, but I agree; it can make climbing a pain in the ass and it can become a bit of a drag after hours of carrying. However, a lot of camera bags have bits to clip a tripod on the side; so if anyone is stuck with a big one for whatever reason - look out for a camera rucksack with a tripod holder.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."