bikes as a means of urban escape

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
stealththief

bikes as a means of urban escape

Post by stealththief » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:44 pm

Hey, I don't know how many of you are in cities, but if you are you may want to consider having a bike hidden near where you op to get out quickly. I've been riding around as a means of transportation in my daily life and it's super fast. Some other things you may want to consider:
You can bike against one way streets pretty safely if you stick to one side of the street
You can bike on the sidewalk, through parking lots, down alleys and other places cars can't pursue you.
Cops don't usually do anything about going through red lights on a bike as long as you aren't disrupting traffic.
Bikes are the fastest thing on the street during any sort of traffic or gridlock.
They're pretty quiet unless you're rolling over gravel.
A bike doesn't weigh much so you can throw it on your back for a short distance (though you probably won't climb a fence with it).
Just something that you may want to consider, it works for me...

Captain Winky

Re: bikes as a means of urban escape

Post by Captain Winky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:43 pm

I have considered this, yes, I have a bike on my own. It's the number one method of transportation here. Sadly enough, that means there's plenty of cops on bicycles, too. If you use a bike for opping, I do suggest one with a backward break, else your chain might start making a noise when you stop pedalling for a while. Though this removes the possibility of multiple gears.

Our royal marines started using foldable bikes as a means of transportation in the sandbox, to generally patrol faster. And there's even people been doing parajump excersizes with military folding bicycles.

Some bicycles actually are quite light, and made to be so. Usually mountain-bikes or so. Better yet: the more your bicycle is built for 'city use', that's generally how much heavier it will be, those are in relation. Mountain bikes and racing bikes (I do not recommend using the latter at all) are much, much lighter. And actually, I would not be surprised if someone managed to vault a fence with one of those on his back if he were strong enough. A remarkable feat, but by no means impossible.

Though they are more expansive, I recommend only going with light or folding bicycles. You use anything near a citybike, you won't have an advantage compared to bicycle-mounted cops. And they definately do exist.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

theconfusedone

Post by theconfusedone » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

This is a good idea and I've been meaning to try this.
The only problem is our town has a fuckin curfew. Anyone under 18 seen at night is taken to their home in a cop car. So i have found being on foot easier, as you can spot the patrols more easily.(yes we have people that roam around at night on bikes looking for kids...)
Anyone have ideas for a bike thats really quiet so i would be able to detect these guys before they detect me? Any ideas on where to stash the bike?
No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:16 am

I should consider getting a bike too for long-distance opping, although since I just spent $380 on a (fucking sexy!) priest coat I think I'd be better off trying to "liberate" one.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.