Belt and drop pouches?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
theconfusedone

Belt and drop pouches?

Post by theconfusedone » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 am

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path. -Siddhartha Gautama

The above post is completely hypothetical.

Xanatos

Re: Belt and drop pouches?

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:20 am

I've always wanted to get one of those utility belts, they seem fairly durable and convenient.

As for the leg pouches they wouldn't be a bad choice either, especially if you have a lot of loot to carry you can spread the weight out a little more instead of having it all bunched up on your belt. Although they don't seem to have a lot of space; 1 STANAG worth of loot isn't that much (unless it's in bank notes, in which case a pouch probably isn't even necessary). Although they would probably be useful for holding small equipment such as lockpicks, flashlights, bump keys and other things since it's easier to reach for something at your leg than digging around in your pockets (especially when crouched or in another awkward position). I'm just not sure how silent they are... they'll probably be stiff & loud at first but will wear out & soften up over time.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:10 pm

I don't usually wear leg pockets, because either side of my pants already have pockets. Kind of beats the use of wearing another one around your leg.
I'd say try the pockets out before you buy them first, who knows what kind of sounds your legs and pants start making together under the pressure of those bands.

As for the belt? looks good enough. But I'd personally prefer to just buy your regular police/army coupleing belt and add pockets of the desired flavour. This keeps my gear customizeable before an op so I can stay as light as possible. Your general surplus store or dump store probably has plenty of belts and pockets and attachments available. Baton holders, Cuff holders, reflecto-vest holders (or whatever you can roll up into there, like camo-netting), Cell phone holders, Holsters, Glove pockets, knife pockets, zippo-lighter pockets, documents and map pockets, Magazine pouches, Canteen holders, light pouches, Maglite-rings, and so forth. Of course, some of these attachments can be abused for other purposes, ofcourse.

The most important thing to look at, however, is the buckle. the square buckles with the sliding pin should be avoided, at all costs. They don't work as well as they should, jam easily, and rattle constantly. Same for the pin-and-holes. Your best bet is plastic clips, like the ninja belt has, clasps, or special 'stealth' systems, such as a firm plastic 'secured' clasp or a clip variation. So the clips on your leg pockets and belts are safe.

One thing, on any count of pouch however, that should be avoided -at all costs-, is velcro. Mother. Fucking. Velcro. It is insanely unreliable. If you don't maintain it after the abuse we give it, it will get 'clogged' and stop reliably securing your pockets within the month. And will make a fucking hell of noises GUARANTEED. Over time, your pockets WILL end up unsecured, half-open, and noisy, when they are use Velcro, so inspect your pockets when you buy them and consider it to be safe to remove and reattach someone else. It makes more noise and is less reliable then magnetic strips, zippers, clips, click-buttons, or hole-buttons. Velcro is at the very, utmost bottom of the list (I seriously have no idea why so many people make velcro-secured pockets. I mean... seriously, wtf?). So I'd say you should modify each of these pockets before using them for night ops, because I think all of them use velcro, from here...

I'd say keep the ninja belt and modify it, and lose the leg pockets. They seem to be made for large pockets, and really... what is the only thing about as large as a STANAG mag you'll be taking along? a lockpicking folder or a camera, perhaps? if you put multiple things in one large pocket, it's highly likely you'll rattle and clatter. I usually keep a 'one object per pocket' policy, or tape things together tightly.
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:09 am

Conversely, I love drop pouches. You usually don't need more space than they afford for basic equipment like a flashlight, multitool, and some picks. I used to swear by them. They're quiet and stay pressed against your leg which is good for getting into tight spaces. They also keep your equipment secure and prevents things from falling out, rattling, or snagging unlike your regular pockets will.

The fact that using the pouch doesn't "widen" your hips is the main selling point, if you will. Makes it easier to get into tight areas and low crawling is less likely to tear something open and spill it. I found myself having to take my web belt off a lot back when that's all I used. The drop pouch prevented all of these issues.

For your consideration.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Dark Kaiser

Post by Dark Kaiser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Psychlonic wrote:The fact that using the pouch doesn't "widen" your hips is the main selling point, if you will. Makes it easier to get into tight areas and low crawling is less likely to tear something open and spill it. I found myself having to take my web belt off a lot back when that's all I used. The drop pouch prevented all of these issues.
This. Still, no matter where these things are strapped they're still likely to snag onto things, make a noise etc (especially with zips dangling) especially in situations where you need to be very 'agile'.
'A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Churchill