Ideal gear for thunderstorms/heavy rain

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
tbone510

Ideal gear for thunderstorms/heavy rain

Post by tbone510 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:52 am

Need some advice - as there are a lot of storms in my area around this time.

As a lot of you already know, opping in the heavy rain is very different from opping in clear weather. For one, the rain (often windswept) decreases visibility and makes noise. Consider also that other humans (security guards, etc) will almost always be inside when the weather is foul. Ever try seeing out a window covered in rain droplets at night? It isn't exactly easy. Perfect for those who dwell in the night! But not so perfect when you want to enter a building (squeaky feet! use carpet on boots?)

And let's not forget the amazing advantage a crash of thunder provides. The noise is so great that you can easily make a necessary noise (a loud door, bushes or trees, etc) and remain covert. However, lightning is a force to be reckoned with. Any tips for dealing with it? My plan is to stick to cover until right after it illuminates the night, and then move to the next piece of cover, laying low while the lightning hits, rinse and repeat.

The most important question, however, is gear. Obviously some items will be the same (knife, radio+mics, headwrap and balaclava and/or t-shirt ninja style head covering) but as far as keeping me a bit more dry, what are my options? A lot of water resistant fabric is noisy. Noisy gear is the enemy.

nooner

Re: Ideal gear for thunderstorms/heavy rain

Post by nooner » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:20 am

Eat your veggies...

Psychlonic

Re: Ideal gear for thunderstorms/heavy rain

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:35 pm

I highly recommend carpet sandals for any tasks which may involve entering a building after being out in the rain. Not only is it a matter of loud footsteps, but also because you're very likely to get mud on your footwear and track it into the building. Whether for sport or for insurance, it's best to leave as little evidence at the scene as possible. No point in showing where you entered, where you went, how large of shoes/how large you are, etc.

As for staying dry, it's never been much of an issue to me (I don't care if I get soaked) so I don't have much experience in the matter. I typically wear Goretex outer-material in the winter but that can get expensive. Outside of night ops, oilskin fabric is water resistant and very quiet. Nylon is water resistant but also is usually loud. A lot of military cold weather coats are water resistant, camouflaged, and 50/50 nylon and cotton blend so they're quiet.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.