NVG's how they work and a good alternative.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Captain Winky

NVG's how they work and a good alternative.

Post by Captain Winky » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:01 pm

alright then, on the previous NOPSNET we discussed a lot about Night Vision Goggles, because actually, they're almost always useful on night ops.
First, let's take a look at how an actual nvg works.

source:

Code: Select all

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/nightvision3.htm
okay, what the image intensifier tube, the most important part of the NVG's does, is convert photons into electrons, amplify those electrons, and convert the electrons back into photons by using certain types of small discs with microscopic holes in them. The last disc is covered in Phosphor, that's why everything we see with NVG's is green.

Now this is a very difficult and probably very expansive task, so we'll have to think of something else.

This technique does not work if there is to little light (amplify 0 and you still have 0). So a lot of NVG'S have small backup IR lights. What we're gonna do here is construct NVG's that are less dependant of the image Itensifier Tube, and more dependant of the IR lights. Is it cheaper? most probably, is it easier to construct? more probably is it better? that remains a question, and the answer will most probably differ per opper.

Building a wannabee Nightvision machine, that works anyway

Step 1, shopping
Hey, I never said this would be free, but I guess you can steal the stuff you need anyway, here's the list!

- An empty roll of Film, I'd prefer actual Film roll (for movies) instead of a photoroll, since it's bigger, but Photo works anyways.
- A white piece of Paper
- A bright lamp
- Welding Goggles, just goggles, not a mask.
- a. A maglite and something to attach it to the welding goggles, or
- b. some old remotes (new ones require you to buy a TV).
- b. Some pieces of Mirror

Step 2, Creating the IR filter
Allright, let's get to building. You take the piece of White Paper and put the bright lamp over it. Now you take the film Roll, pull it all the way out and hold it in the center of the light (the brightest part). Make sure all Pieces of Film capture this and get them developped, make sure you develop them somewhere where you get your pictures back even if they fail. Take out the Negatives and tah-dah! you have yourself an IR filter.

Step 3, Adjusting the Goggles
Most Welding Goggles allready have some sort of Filter, I don't know if it's all right so We'll just remove the entire glass from the Goggles. Cut out pieces of IR filter in the shape of the glasses and put the IR filters into your welding goggles. If you have Filtered Glasses APART from the Normal Glasses (some have these) you can put the normal glasses behind the filter, to make them more durable, if you don't, we'll just have to settle with pieces in film roll in front of our eyes.

What we just did is the same as the infamous "IR WEBCAM TRICK" where we replace the UV filter of the webcam with a piece of film roll with a bright white picture on it, and so we have a webcam that only sees IR light. Simply put, everything is black for you untill there's some source of Infrared light, the colour of IR light can differ though, so you'll still see lots of Bright colours, depending on the lamp you use.

Step 4, the IR backup light, Option A
I don't know if this one actually works, so I'd go with option B, below, but let's just cover this part anyway, becaise it's fun.

So, take out your maglite, slice out a Piece of homemade IR filter a bit bigger than the head of the lamp (you know, where the light comes out) And Put this over the head, wrap it around and tape it to the head (the part you twist, OK?), Now, if you turn on your maglite, you probably won't see any light, because the output is filtered. Using the goggle's with IR filter, we can see that now Infrared light, theoretically, I don't know how the lamp affects to Film.

Attach the filtered lamp to your Goggles and there you have them, wannabee night vision goggles, or as I like to call it, the Invisible Light Device (ILD)

Step 4, the IR backup light, Option B
Okay, this is probably better than option A, but a bit more difficult to build. You take your remotes, take them apart, and take out the small lamps in the front. These are actually IR lights. Attach them to the goggles at devided places

for example, of you have 3, one right of your right Goggle, one left of your left goggle, and one in the center, or of you have 2 lamps, on above the left goggle and one above the right goggle

Now you use the pieces of mirror wich you build around the lamps, you can see what I mean if you look into your flashlight (don't turn it on, turd!) This is so that the light get's redirected into a beam and amplified. So you basically get stronger light, now all we need is to build a power source and preferable an on-off switch (switches aren't so expansive). I'm not goïng into the details about building these, since I'm not so technical, but if we could all figure this out together (or someone who allready knows just posts feedback). And there you have it, your ILD is done!

=====================================================================================================================================================================================
This item has not yet been field tested! This is just a theory and I'm not an expert, if you have any criticism please act like a human being instead of an ape and use constructive criticism, thank you.
=====================================================================================================================================================================================

by the Way, I would like to make this guide Easy Enough for any idiot on this forum, such as myself, if anyone knows how to make a power system for 3 IR lamps, on what kind of batteries they run, how to add a switch (or 3 or 2.) as soon as we know how to make a system for one, we can make one for 3. If anyone who knows would like to post this up, this could be of great help!
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:03 am

A tip to use:
If someone has NVGs and if looking for you (knows your there), use their NVGs against them...
Take out your flash light, set it as high as it goes if its adjustable and give the NVGs a good shine, this will probably buy you enough time to take flight or fight...

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:56 pm

stealththief wrote:A tip to use:
If someone has NVGs and if looking for you (knows your there), use their NVGs against them...
Take out your flash light, set it as high as it goes if its adjustable and give the NVGs a good shine, this will probably buy you enough time to take flight or fight...
yea I had something like that A while ago (not NVG'S, something else, long story), suddenly catching so much light HURTS like HELL
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!

Jon91

Post by Jon91 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:31 am

This is worth a read:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-Nightvision-Headset-Hack/?comments=all
Everything I say and claim to do is part of an online role playing game.

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 am

stealththief wrote:A tip to use:
Lol, I saw that on 24 ages ago.
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:10 pm

24 is awesome I should actually follow the show, but this just goes to show that even Jack Bauer has to borrow techniques from the NO community lol jk.

unknowndude90

Post by unknowndude90 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:33 pm

For anybody who caries a digital camera this might be a cheaper option. especially for getting pictures without visible light.

http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/08/29/diy-night-vision/
If at first you don't succeed try and try again. But if after that you still fail you are doing something wrong.