Double-edged or Single?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.

Dougle or single-edged?

Single-edged blades
70%
Double-edged blades
30%

Total votes: 10

Xanatos

Double-edged or Single?

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 am

Which bladetype do you prefer and why?

Personally I prefer double-edged blades; they're easier to cut through material with, if you damage one edge you have another one as backup, you can have both a serrated and clean edge on the same blade (as with the SOG Pentagon), they're more useful for combat and there's not a lot single-edged blades can do that doubles can't.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Re: Double-edged or Single?

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:36 am

I've always been a single edge guy, I guess just because I try to use my knife as a tool most of the time. More of a camper/survivor mentality than that of a fighting one. A single edge actually has plenty of pros to it, hollow ground knives have way more chopping power and are capable of being much sharper, the back offers a surface to press against or hammer on, and the increased volume provides a marginally better structural integrity when prying. They can even penetrate better than a double edged knife as in the case of the hissatsu knife and most tantos.

:D Just offering a case for single edged ones, I realize a double edged knife has it's benefits as well. In the end, I don't think it matters. Almost any knife in the right hands can cut, chop, stab, and smack "good enough" to get the job done.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:51 am

I prefer single edge. I like to use the back of the knife as a place to press the blade, or spark off of a starter block. Also I prefer a partially serrated blade to saw small things which would seem strange on a double edge knife. For fighting I'd grab a double edge first but as a general pocket knife and night ops knife I prefer the single edge. Maybe it's because I'm more down with folders in general since I'm in a city (carrying a sheathed knife would draw too much cop attention to me).

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:02 am

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure I'd get funny looks where I live carrying around a fixed knife as well. I used to mosey about with a couple tucked away but I was younger and dumber back then. My "theory" was that if someone pulled a knife on me, I had vastly superior "firepower".

Honestly, I no longer believe in "pulling a knife" like how you see people in movies stand back from someone and pull a knife to intimidate them. Might work if you're robbing someone at knife point, but if I'm using my knife in a fight, I'm playing stupid/defenseless until the last minute when I pull the knife from hiding and go for a vital before they know what's going on.
In this role, a folder will work just fine as long as it's not cheap and stays firm when deployed. I've thought about buying a Hissatsu folder for just that purpose since my current ones take a hunting/utility role, but it's one of those low priority ideas that won't happen for awhile.

Another tangent, but fuck it. Need something to talk about on these forums eh?
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:22 am

I used to carry around at least 5 blades as well; 2 throwing knives, a rather large dagger and 2 "twin" daggers. But now I rarely carry anything, sometimes only a tube of metsu-bishi and/or a really cool rock I found that makes a suitable shobo (used for hitting pressure points), both of which are easily disposable and concealable.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm not sure why I prefer single-edged knives. I guess that like Psychlonic put it, I have more of a survival mentality and having the back of the blade is usful for pressing down on. Carrying a sheath knife on my belt wouldn't be a huge deal seeing as I outside of town in the country, but it would still draw some attention. My sheath knife is big though and is great for prying and chopping.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 pm

I admit I carry a big fatty of a knife around as well, probably just because I've grown used to it over the years and I'd rather have it around than a shorter although probably more practical knife.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 am

My carry knife is single edged, but for anything serious i prefer a double, more because i like "dagger" style knives than for any practical reason. For survival stuff like camping/hiking, i tend to have a couple different knives on me for different purposes, plus a swiss army knife for anything i don't want to risk damaging or dulling a fixed blade on.

For opping, it's always a fixed blade, and double edged more often than not.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:34 am

Actually, A single edged blade and doubled edge blade are equally combat effectve; except the spear point. A spear point is weak, as the pith is formed at the center. its more about Violence of action than anything.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 pm

Single edged for me, for the same reasons Psychlonic outlined. Also it's easier to cut yourself with a double edged knife when using it as a tool or even when handling it in the dark. More room to slip or fuck up in some other manner, just something to keep in mind.
Fuck off.

roccoco

Post by roccoco » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:08 am

Psychlonic wrote:I've always been a single edge guy, I guess just because I try to use my knife as a tool most of the time. More of a camper/survivor mentality than that of a fighting one. A single edge actually has plenty of pros to it, hollow ground knives have way more chopping power and are capable of being much sharper, the back offers a surface to press against or hammer on, and the increased volume provides a marginally better structural integrity when prying. They can even penetrate better than a double edged knife as in the case of the hissatsu knife and most tantos.
^^ This. I much prefer the single edge. I'm not really going around stabbing people - my knife is generally for prying/general tool usage.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:54 am

AVE...

Both...
Single-edged knifes are great tools for cutting, chopping(if the knife is big and heavy enough), unscrewing and prying open...
Double-edged however are better for self-defense. I like dagger-type blades. These are great for stabbing, which is better for eliminating enemies without actually killing them. But to use this method one must know the anatomy to avoid all those big blood vessels and important organs. Double-edged blades can also be used to cut, but I never liked that. It doesn't "feel" right...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Captain Winky

Post by Captain Winky » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Urgon wrote: which is better for eliminating enemies without actually killing them
in that case I have,

MAI FEESTS, DEY AR MADE OF OPERATIVE, BZZZRARARARARARARARARA
that's why roger podactor was murdered,
HE FOUND CAPTAIN WINKY!