The Alarm Splice

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

The Alarm Splice

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am

This is a simple but slick type of item I've made for the sole purpose of jumpering an alarm system quickly and reliably.

What you need:
2 conductive sewing needles - silver plated, copper, or better.
High conductivity silver wiring
Soldering gun with solder

Optional:
Variable resistor

You want fairly tiny needles, the smallest you can comfortably handle but not so small that they won't conduct electricity to save their life. Pins and other sharp, thin objects have the potential to accomplish the same goal. That goal is to simply penetrate a wire's insulation and create a direct connection with the copper or silver wiring inside.
Now we take our wire, which is ideally silver high conductivity for less resistance, and we connect both ends to a sewing needle with solder. How long you want your wire is totally up to you, but I wouldn't go past two feet. You should now have a conductive wire that you can "plug in" anywhere you want onto any given wire.
If you want, you can add a variable resistor into the circuit for optional resistance control, but in my opinion if you've got the time to match resistance levels then you've got the time to not even bother with this splice and wire it in manually.

At the most basic level, when you've got access to vulnerable alarm wiring, you simply locate the two signal wires coming out of the sensor/switch and you stab the splice dead center into each one as to go through the conductive wire below, creating a secondary route for the electricity to go and you snip the old one. How to get up close and whatnot will be covered in an upcoming topic, this is solely focusing on the equipment and it's use.

The point of using this item as opposed to wiring by hand is to save time in situations where time is at a premium. This might include short moments where you might be able to jumper a wire during the day when nobody is looking, allowing you to do so quickly and without drawing suspicion. You might also have a limited time window to jumper at night with the system activated. If you can't evade a sensor, one could even walk directly up to the sensor, jumper it in a few seconds, and spend the time you saved covering up any signs of tampering then exit the building allowing the alarm to go off. When the place is quickly checked out and deemed to be a false alarm, you can now return at your leisure knowing that sensor can never detect you again.

Hope this comes in handy to some of you.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ysidro

Re: The Alarm Splice

Post by Ysidro » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:19 pm

This sounds cool, I may have to make a trip to the hardware store.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin