Removing markings of ripe-stop/goretex clothing?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Illusion

Removing markings of ripe-stop/goretex clothing?

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:21 am

I have a perfect opping waterproof goretex jacket, its also rip-stop so really really perfect.

However, I got it from my last employer - when I had to do some technicians work in the field one day. So it has a little Apple logo on the breast, "Certified Technician" and a website on the arm.. in white! :/

It seems to be printed on in some kind of plastic almost. I cant seem to remove it, and to demonstrate how awesome this jacket is - even spray paint doesn't stick properly! I may try some nail varnish remover.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'll post pics (obviously blanking out my former employers details :P).
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Eden

Re: Removing markings of ripe-stop/goretex clothing?

Post by Eden » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:29 am

A tip from someone who probably knows much more about nail polish remover than you do: it will fuck up your clothing. At best it will strip the color, at worst it will trash the material.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:35 am

Eden's Garden wrote:A tip from someone who probably knows much more about nail polish remover than you do: it will fuck up your clothing. At best it will strip the color, at worst it will trash the material.
Yeah, I figured the Acetone would fuck it up - was going to dab a bit on a edge first just to test the waters.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:56 am

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that would remove the substance without ruining the dye in the fabric. Acetone would certainly work, and the best I can offer is that I've wiped things off with rags soaked in it without the color coming out, but by no means is this any hint of what might happen to your clothing.

You might try using vinyl paint to simply spray over the logo and lettering, it's different than conventional spray paint in that it sticks to that sort of material and bonds to it. I've been using it for my car's interior and it's durable. You're still going to have the lettering, but at least it'll be a darker color. I can only vouch for the Dupli-Color brand, as that's what I use. I've heard some are really cheap.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:04 am

Psychlonic wrote:Unfortunately, I can't think of anything that would remove the substance without ruining the dye in the fabric. Acetone would certainly work, and the best I can offer is that I've wiped things off with rags soaked in it without the color coming out, but by no means is this any hint of what might happen to your clothing.

You might try using vinyl paint to simply spray over the logo and lettering, it's different than conventional spray paint in that it sticks to that sort of material and bonds to it. I've been using it for my car's interior and it's durable. You're still going to have the lettering, but at least it'll be a darker color. I can only vouch for the Dupli-Color brand, as that's what I use. I've heard some are really cheap.
The fabric itself doesnt seem dyed though - I mean I've just hammered it with nail varnish remover and all it did was take any paint off and after a VERY hard brushing I got a few flakes off. :| Fuck knows this doesnt want to come off!

I think I will just paint over it. I'd like to use it tonight so I'll use some of the paint I have left over, I'll try some vinyl paint soon! Cheers!

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

Yeah I hope the vinyl paint helps. It might be worth your time to spray down something useless with it and toss it in the washing machine because I have no idea how it would cope with that sort of thing.

By the way...
Eden's Garden wrote:A tip from someone who probably knows much more about nail polish remover than you do: it will fuck up your clothing. At best it will strip the color, at worst it will trash the material.
This was most unexpected. Regained an interested in nocturnal exploration?
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 am

Psychlonic wrote:Yeah I hope the vinyl paint helps. It might be worth your time to spray down something useless with it and toss it in the washing machine because I have no idea how it would cope with that sort of thing.

By the way...
This was most unexpected. Regained an interested in nocturnal exploration?
Lol, Well its got another coating of paint drying now! I will wait for that to try and give it a good clean. If not; what I'll do is get some black tape and stick it losely over the markings on the side - its only writing about 12mm big; and 100mm or so wide. It's not going to be a fashion statement either way!

Just not something I want coming up on CCTV tonight..

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:32 pm

That's what I was about to tell you, just throw some dark tape over it, or sew in a dark patch if goretex works that way, iunno I've never used it.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:46 pm

Yeah, I think I'll get some dark tape.

Until then the spray paint has actually subdued it enough! It was good enough to take the other night anyway.