Do you carry a tool to incapacitate on ops?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.

Do you carry a defensive weapon?

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes: 7

Psychlonic

Do you carry a tool to incapacitate on ops?

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:15 am

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Legend

Re: Do you carry a tool to incapacitate on ops?

Post by Legend » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:42 pm

I usually carry a small impact weapon and a pocket knife. At the moment it's a Comtech Stinger, a device that concentrates the force of a punch and can easily break someone's ribs, but isn't a knuckle duster. I've carried a kubaton before. A defensive weapon is part of my EDC.
Who dares wins!

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:54 pm

I always carry 2 tubes of metsu-bishi (blinding powder) with me on ops and I also have my SWHRT9B if I need it. Thankfully I've never been in a situation where I needed to use these. I'm also good with my hands & feet, but these I usually use for running the fuck away (only happened once, before I knew about NO or Ninjitsu). While my knife is a last resort weapon, my hand instinctively drifts towards it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:03 pm

Yes, i always carry a folding knife on me for both utility and defense reasons, and on ops i usually trade it out for a slightly larger fixed blade. I've had two situations which could have ended in me needing to use it but were avoided (night ops is indeed about being stealthy, no?) and one situation that required me to use the knife to incapacitate my attacker and create an opening for me to escape.

Something important to consider : it's a good thing to try to keep in mind "i'm using this to help me escape" when using a knife defensively, NOT "i'm using this to hurt my opponent".
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:39 pm

Therin the Hand wrote: Something important to consider : it's a good thing to try to keep in mind "i'm using this to help me escape" when using a knife defensively, NOT "i'm using this to hurt my opponent".
Absolutely, although (depending on your adversary) they might flee just at the sight of your knife. A guy dressed like a Ninja in a restricted area with a weapon and a fierce glance would make most people shit themselves and leg it, although I'd prefer to be the one doing the 'legging'.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:20 pm

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:43 pm

I don't carry a weapon as such per say. I carry a small folding knife, but I carry that all the time anyway, not just for operations. I'm pretty confident with my ability to bounce if I need to vanish, fighting-wise, I'm probably better than average but I'd still rather roll out than stick around if it's at all possible. Depending on the op I might have extra gear that could double as a weapon but is essentially a tool; screwdriver, hammer, rocks. I should carry a tube of metsubishi though it seems easy to carry, conceal and deploy.

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:30 am

Depending on the op I either carry SAP gloves and a small-ish fixed blade fury, (my cold steel broke :oops:)
Or I carry a larger fixed blade fighting knife.
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 am

Extensible baton for me, unless I happen to take a screwdriver or something else that can be used as a weapon. No point in having 2 things that can serve a similar purpose weigh you down. I don't always have it with me though, just most of the time.
Fuck off.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:07 pm

I carry minimals to ensure that if the shit hit the fan I don't have more things in my possession to get done on a higher charge. Sometimes I've even dropped the multi-tool if I didn't think I'd need it! (Despite most blades being under 3 inches, I don't trust police at times) Although, If I do take a multitool I keep it in my first aid kit and use the excuse of "I may have to cut a dressing". (Yes, there isn't really any reason to go around cutting a dressing, let alone with a in-sterile multitool!? However, its a police interview not a first aid test :P)

However; I generally rely on my ability to hide or run should the situation require it - but hopefully I should be aware if someone is "danger close" long before it becomes an issue. Thats not to say I wouldn't rely on my maglite should something happen - nice and legal, easily explainable, and you can probably get a decent swing on it.

I'm not 100% confident with getting into confrontations, its one thing I need to train on - martial arts/fitness wise. However, I defy you to find many people who will confront you if you're dressed in boots, black combats, black top and a mask?! :wink:

Interestingly, I did my first op without my maglite a few weeks back and I did keep getting a feeling of "I don't even have a maglite to protect myself with..". It went when I met up with my people, but when I was going solo before - it was quite different.

EDIT - Actually, I've carried a kubaton several times. Not recently though as I appear to have lost it - it was a black one I got off someone who worked in a prison.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 am

When I carry something, I carry a wrist rocket, they're really useful.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:43 am

Hmm...

When I have had to, simple aggression, Speed, Surprise and Brutal techniques have put me on top 100% of the time; try to knock an opponent down, and knock the wind out (or KO if you know what's good) and book it.

kunoichi

Post by kunoichi » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:09 pm

I always carry a folding knife with me, and maybe a wrist rocket... But I prefer using my arms and feet or something like a rock.
Sometimes I also carry a pepper spray instead of a knife...
Last edited by kunoichi on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :P
Society gets the kind of vandalism it deserves.

Ysidro

Post by Ysidro » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:14 pm

I always have a knife with me that could be used as a weapon, but it is mainly a tool. Other than that, I don't really rely on weapons. It is better to just avoid that kind of situation. A stun gun would be nice to have just in case though.
“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security”
-Ben Franklin