Flashlights

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
liMePod

Flashlights

Post by liMePod » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:53 pm

On flashlights - DO NOT use a cheap maglite or something.
Use a surefire (if you can afford it) or an Olight T15 (olightworld.com), which runs on one AA battery and is waaaay brighter than surefires, for less $$$
(a good review at http://funditor.110mb.com/Olight-T15%20Review.html).

you caan use a red piece of cellophane (colored saran war, basicly) to stop your night vision from going.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:35 pm

A lot of people actually prefer LESS output than a maglite offers, utilizing single LED designs. Some, like me, even prefer white light to distinguish colors - which can be important in some situations - merely keeping one eye closed while the light is on to preserve night vision.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:46 pm

I bring a maglite - brand flashlight upgraded with three red LEDs, but in truth i rarely ever use it. I think it's worth taking some time to let your eyes adjust when you first leave, and doing everything you can to not use light. even if you keep one eye closed, turning on a light is like a beacon pinpointing you, and there are few times when we can be 100% certain that there is no way we'll be seen.
That being said, my maglite does a pretty good job at illuminating things when i need it to, like in dark, enclosed indoor environments.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:18 am

Kinda drifting more into technique here, but any light can be tamed by shining it through the cracks between your fingers, thus regulating the light. This is especially useful since onlookers won't be able to see light coming from the flashlight itself, but only it's illuminated target.
That said, Surefires are awfully bright, so it'd be significantly easier to screw up and blast the side of a house with your light.
On the other hand, if you're in pitch black and some idiot decides to investigate without the use of their own light, you can easily confuse them with the brightness.
Whatever suits your op, I guess.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

nomadx

Post by nomadx » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:34 pm

found this guy here at the home depot today, very tempting[/url]

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:41 am

Headlamps are pretty fucking awesome on black ops for indoor situations. When you know your light cannot escape, you can just flip them on and start working on whatever with both hands.
For that same price or less though, you can usually find headlamps with white and red modes, along with spot and flood. Try Wal-Mart or Bi-Mart for example.
Also make sure you find a cover for the lens, in case your head is illuminated.

Eden

Post by Eden » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:05 am

My father would love you forever for this suggestion. Every birthday and holiday involving the male half of the species that is what my dad recommends i get them.
On a more serious note, they are a valuable idea. You can get the ones that have the different modes for about 15-20 bucks at wal-mart, and they are tried and true.
I'll tell you a secret...The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.

hX_

Post by hX_ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:27 pm

I use a single LED Ultrabright Generic brand. I get them through aria.co.uk whenever I order computer hardware.

I find the only disadvantage to the light I use is ease of loss and non-usability as a weapon. Other than that, for 50p each including batteries (lots of tiny button cells) they're as good as disposable.

The one I'm currently using is hidden away and with the noisy chain bit clipped off.

In comparison to a pencil:

Code: Select all

http://www.vulomedia.com/images/13784Picture1.jpg
Just wondered: as no-one seems to post straight links and images I guess this is a rule (can't find a rules page/list) to avoid the site being noticed via referer URL?

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:06 am

The links are for the referer as you suspected.
I personally use an L shaped flashlight with a red filter. Its good because its small and I can clip it to my chest and have it on or have flashes at whatever interval or pattern I need by tapping the secondary button. I really like the red filter I've done some field tests and it works really well.