Good source for cheap balaclavas

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghost

Good source for cheap balaclavas

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Code: Select all

http://www.fastcycleparts.com/showproduct.aspx?variantid=37470&aid=10050
Just found this site when i was looking for a good balaclava for summer opping. The material doesn't look too heavy, and for a price of $5.00, how could you go wrong? I'll be ordering one or two of these when my first check from the air force comes in, and i'll write up a more detailed review then.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Zaffron

Re: Good source for cheap balaclavas

Post by Zaffron » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:18 am

What would happen to your air force career if you were caught/prosecuted on an op?

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:17 am

A misdemeanor trespassing charge? not much, if anything at all.

But you do raise a good point, there is always a risk involved with opping, which can vary depending upon what you do for a living. There's more than one reason any opping i do now is "purist only", and that is indeed one of them.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:56 am

So Therin did they work out? I need a new balaclava seeing as I had to destroy my ski mask.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:58 am

Well, they aren't super high quality, but if you're like me, and you just want a cheap, relatively think piece of cloth to serve as a balaclava they'll get the job done. I'd consider it a late spring/summer/early fall balaclava, if your climate is similar to mine here in the northeast.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:11 am

Is what you are saying is that they're not cut out for winter weather? That's not really an issue for me.

Most of all I just need something to cover my face that I can still breath, hear and see well through. The Neoprene face mask I bought was absolutely horrible to breath and hear through. It also slid all over my face and obscured my vision. Lasted about 30 seconds on my first op.

As long as it doesn't severely compromise any of those things I'll probably be happy with it.
-Gollum

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:01 am

A friend gave me a balaclava (she's down with me doing "ninja stuff"). It's really warm, but since it has three holes (eye, eye, mouth) it's comfortable in colder weather, and hearing is fine. I like the rubbing fingers test to see sound sensitivity. I usually just use a bandanna and/or hood in other situations.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:33 am

^ I've also been going with bandannas. I usually use them with a hat. Works out nicely.

I loved my ski mask that I used to have, highly breathable, almost perfect hearing in it, and it stayed taught on my face (and warm). Pretty much the only problem I had with it was how much it made me look like a criminal. I need a replacement badly. I'm gonna buy one of these balaclavas and see how it works out. 5 bucks and free shipping, I'm willing to take the risk.
-Gollum