Flashlights

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Legend

Flashlights

Post by Legend » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:09 am

Here's a good resource for learning about torches: candlepowerforums.com
You can search the forums without being a member. There are many reviews on the forum.

Sometimes you need a lot of light in a pocket sized package. I've ordered an Eagle Tac P100C2 which according to the manufacturer can put out 55 lumens for 15hrs or 220 lumens for 2hrs on two CR123 batteries. I have an Inova XO which puts out 32 lumens for 5hrs on two 123s. I've gotten "That's bright!" when I use the Inova. A mini Maglite outputs less than 10 lumens and drops to less than 50% output in 30min. I've read multiple reviews of the Eagle Tac before ordering it. My new light should be a light saber and elicit adverse reactions in normal use. So, if it's safe to use a bright light on an op don't cheap out, get something powerful and durable.

Reputable companies include Fenix, Surefire, and Nite Core. Nite core produces lights about 3.5in long that can output 3 lumens to 130 with some levels in between but the runtime isn't very good at max power. Surefire is the choice for many military and police forces although their lights aren't as versatile and are the most expensive. Fenix is the every day carry standard and would fit anyone's light needs. Eagle Tac is newer but seems to be high quality from reviews, they have the lowest prices, most power, and best runtime and output regulation with output on a runtime line chart being flat near full power for hours before dropping sharply to 50%. If you're thinking of a high quality light be sure to Google "X flashlight review" and find one preferably with a runtime chart.
Who dares wins!

stealththief

Re: Flashlights

Post by stealththief » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:14 am

I usually carry an L-necked military flashlight with a red removable filter. If I feel I really need a lot of light or won't be seen I carry a 99 cent store LED light that's super bright.

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:17 am

I use a maglite with that red led thing you attach yourself. It's not too bright so it doesn't attract as much attention and its red which is also advantageous. Also it cost me 12 pounds (19.5 dollars) overall so I'm not too bothered if I have to ditch it.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:05 am

I'm going to admit that while red is better at night, I have a preference for just regular white light since it allows me to distinguish colors - something I often find myself wanting to do for one reason or another. There are flashlights out there that have both red and white LEDs in them so you get the best of both worlds at the flip of a switch. Same with many LED headlamps. Of course, one can simply attach and remove a filter if they don't want to acquire new gear.

So that said, I go with a generic 15-LED white flashlight when I need to see really well, and a small single red LED push-button for when I only want enough light to be able to see where I'm going and be positive nobody else can see it. Up close and personal situations, if you will.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:45 am

darktorn wrote:I use a maglite with that red led thing you attach yourself. It's not too bright so it doesn't attract as much attention and its red which is also advantageous. Also it cost me 12 pounds (19.5 dollars) overall so I'm not too bothered if I have to ditch it.
Same thing i use, and it's served me well for several years now. On occasion i'll also carry a cheap penlight as a backup.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Zaffron

Post by Zaffron » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:29 am

hehe, I am super cheap. I stole a maglite while on a boyscout campout (my dad makes me), and got some scrap red cellophane from my art class and put that over the lens. I like the price of $0 whenever it is possible :D

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:34 am

ahh.. My love - Flashlights.

I use my 3D Maglite, Its a green model and has lasted me about 3 and a half years now - its been dropped multiple stories, submerged in drains, smashed through fuckloads - and apart from the cosmetic damage (which kinda makes it look cooler :P) it still functions like it was knew. Hell, it has even had batteries leak and corrode the insides.. a quick change of batteries and rub with a dry cloth.. its working again?!

I got a surefire clone thing, which was AMAZING. I love it - but I can't really afford the batteries right now.

I also have a 3xAAA 5LED headlamp - had 3 different settings (1LED, 3LED, 5LED) and has saved me a load of hassle before.

The MiniMag (2AA) is also useful, I have a push-button tail-cap for it which makes it even better.

My main love is a 1AAA LED torch I picked up from "Blacks" (a large outdoor shop in the UK) which came with a pouch, a clip and a headband - its tiny but incredibly bright, and also so cheap to get batteries for. Its probably my main opping torch now.

Also have a few others - including 2 which switch between Bulb and multiple LED, and 2 ones which are basically a shitload of LED's coming off of a small base.

I remember having to have all my equipment "bagged and tagged" at the bust, and one guy I was with LOVED his torches. Spent stupid amounts on them. When he went through his kit the police were stunned by the amount of torches he had on him - about 8 or so I think. All different intensities, colours etc Understandable for underground work and photography, but wasn't really needed that day. :roll:
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:49 am

Wow, I'd be infuriated. Is the rule in England that anything confiscated you never get back?
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:06 am

Psychlonic wrote:Wow, I'd be infuriated. Is the rule in England that anything confiscated you never get back?
Nah, luckily! All our kit was "bagged and tagged" upon arrest, all that was confiscated was purely pending the investigation. That was generally computer equipment seized from our houses, USB disks, memory sticks, cameras, mobile phones... As I say, thats mainly because we got caught somewhere stupid. (To this day, I regret so many things about that afternoon - it should never have happened)
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

brute4ce

Post by brute4ce » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:32 am

i picked this up today and am rly happy with it so far and itching to test it out thoroughly.
http://www.nitecore.com/goods_detail.php?id=8
any thoughts?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Looks like a good exploration flashlight to me.

I tend to carry two lights on me; a larger bright white one like that and then a smaller red light like this guy here: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/XLYvZNsD9E4/0.jpg that emits just enough to let me move around without being seen. The red light is obviously the more stealthy option, but for exploration and identification purposes a white light is invaluable.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:11 pm

Moddy wrote:
Psychlonic wrote:Wow, I'd be infuriated. Is the rule in England that anything confiscated you never get back?
Nah, luckily! All our kit was "bagged and tagged" upon arrest, all that was confiscated was purely pending the investigation. That was generally computer equipment seized from our houses, USB disks, memory sticks, cameras, mobile phones... As I say, thats mainly because we got caught somewhere stupid. (To this day, I regret so many things about that afternoon - it should never have happened)
Post a story?

I'm planning to get that new motion controlled maglite. Looks cool.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:21 pm

CokeCanNinja wrote:
Moddy wrote:
Post a story?

I'm planning to get that new motion controlled maglite. Looks cool.
http://no.surgen.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146

Was already posted. I'll re-upload pictures if anyone is still interested. It's quite an interesting thread as the first post is all about the planning and preparation, then you can see the arrest unfold, and read about how it all happened. It's part of the reason I had multiple accounts for a time, as my laptop had been seized I asked for all my posts to be deleted and for the opportunity to change my account name.

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks for the link.

Dark Kaiser

Post by Dark Kaiser » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:15 am

Lights. Ho hum. Ninjas got by for hundreds of years perfectly well without the need for flashlights. Just another example of humanity's hopeless dependency on technology which they don't actually need. That said, I also have an unhealthy obsession with flashlights. I have a ton of random lights, but only eight that I actually like and five that I actually use.

1. AA Minimag, upgraded with an LED and tailcap switch kit from some online store.
2. Maglite Solataire. Tiny, and creates an equally tiny amount of light, which is perfect for situations when you need just enough illumination to see something close up without drawing attention to yourself in the dark with a brighter light.
3. 3-D cell Maglite. Bought an LED upgrade for it from the same site. Has the option of narrowing the beam to a small circle which works well for illuminating a small area at a great distance. The LED bulb puts out slightly less light than the standard incandescent, but lasts a lot longer, obviouslty. The other reason the D cell Maglites are popular is their ability to double as a club, where need be.
4. Shitty Chinese headlight. Very cheap but does its job. Has 3 brightness settings and is of course good for when you need light, but need both hands free for other things.
5. SureFire 9P (incandescent). This is the most powerful of the 'small' SureFire's, putting out 100 lumens with the standard lamp (1-hour battery life) and 200 (20 minutes battery life) with the P91 upgrade lamp. The 200 lumen bulb will burn a hole through your pocket if left on. There's very little use for a light like this on a night op though. Good if you need to brightly illuminate a huge area for a short period of time. Also great for blinding people in the dark as a method defence (believe me, it burns). You'll get no better flashlight than this.

'A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.' - Churchill