Do you ever pack heat?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Frightinthenight

Do you ever pack heat?

Post by Frightinthenight » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Do you ever bring a gun, just in case you need it?

Psychlonic

Re: Do you ever pack heat?

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:48 pm

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:24 am

made my own sawed of 12 gauge i carry with me because where i live there are alot of animals/ farmer who excercise what they are allowed to do to traspassers.
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Yeh, in my pants.

Im sorry I couldn't resist, I had a totse moment there. I would never risk it, a co2 gun for streetlights maybe but I would stash it after use.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

trx100

Post by trx100 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:09 pm

No firearms. They are definitely more trouble than they are worth, especially with the sort of Op's that i usually do.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:55 pm

A suppressed .22 would be good for knocking out street lights, but it'd be tricky, especially in my neighbourhood.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:54 pm

i bring one because i live in a rural environment and have been shot at by farmers.
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:09 am

Don't own a gun, don't carry a gun. In an urban setting I feel it would be ridiculous, way to many places to hide/escape, carrying a gun would also be really stupid if any cops around decide I'm to shady.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:06 am

-cleaned-
Last edited by Psychlonic on Sun Oct 22, 2023 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 am

I take Pepper Spray, never had to use it though.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:27 am

How many of you would ACTUALLY shoot a pursuer if you had a firearm with you? I know I wouldn't even if fired upon if i have a good chance of outrunning and finding cover. A gun sounds like a good idea and movies lead you to believe so but it's not worth the risk. Consider getting caught with one by police on an op. You will be doing LOTS of time for sure - never worth it. Or how about this: someone catches you off guard and a short chase follows. You quickly draw the gun and without thinking anything through you end up shooting the other person. You will probably run off panicked, forgetting your brass behind. Murder is a very serious thing and there's a VERY good chance police will find the shells. It's almost a given that you would have your fingerprints on them if you have the "bringing a gun with me is cool" type of mentality. If you are like me and have your fingerprints on file, you are majorly fucked.

I sometimes carry a full sized KaBar and I would never stick anyone with it unless my life absolutely depended on it. I never had to use it to deter someone from coming after me yet but I will if I have to. I treat it as only a tool and I rarely ever take it with me. My preferred weapon is a collapsible steel baton. I've had people back off when they saw me whip it out. I would not hesitate to use it but I always rely on my skill to stay hidden and avoid any confrontation if possible.

I'm tired and I can't organize this post very well but the bottom line is that it's better to have a screwdriver or something similar than a real weapon on ANY op (unless you have a weapon for wildlife protection which should be stashed).
Fuck off.

killdozer

Post by killdozer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Biohazard wrote:How many of you would ACTUALLY shoot a pursuer if you had a firearm with you? I know I wouldn't even if fired upon if i have a good chance of outrunning and finding cover. A gun sounds like a good idea and movies lead you to believe so but it's not worth the risk. Consider getting caught with one by police on an op. You will be doing LOTS of time for sure - never worth it. Or how about this: someone catches you off guard and a short chase follows. You quickly draw the gun and without thinking anything through you end up shooting the other person. You will probably run off panicked, forgetting your brass behind. Murder is a very serious thing and there's a VERY good chance police will find the shells. It's almost a given that you would have your fingerprints on them if you have the "bringing a gun with me is cool" type of mentality. If you are like me and have your fingerprints on file, you are majorly fucked.

I sometimes carry a full sized KaBar and I would never stick anyone with it unless my life absolutely depended on it. I never had to use it to deter someone from coming after me yet but I will if I have to. I treat it as only a tool and I rarely ever take it with me. My preferred weapon is a collapsible steel baton. I've had people back off when they saw me whip it out. I would not hesitate to use it but I always rely on my skill to stay hidden and avoid any confrontation if possible.

I'm tired and I can't organize this post very well but the bottom line is that it's better to have a screwdriver or something similar than a real weapon on ANY op (unless you have a weapon for wildlife protection which should be stashed).
Gotta go with Biohazard here. The closest thing to a gun I have ever brought was a co2 handgun to shoot out a floodlight that I knew I couldn't get around before I even left on the op. Just seems like an all around Totse bad idea to me...
----------------------------------------------------
Life bytes with a variety of sizes of teeth
(previously evil_0ne)
A.K.A porschenazi (tM)
R.I.P. Totse
-----------------------------------------------------

darktorn

Post by darktorn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:29 pm

killdozer wrote: Gotta go with Biohazard here. The closest thing to a gun I have ever brought was a co2 handgun to shoot out a floodlight that I knew I couldn't get around before I even left on the op. Just seems like an all around Totse bad idea to me...
This, bringing guns on ops is fucking stupid and anyone who does it is a fucking cunt in my eyes. (co2 airgun for streetlights is as far as this should go and even then probably isn't even necessary.) Going out with a gun is basically taking the principles of night ops and raping them. I'm sorry if my post seems aggressive but it's just such a stupid idea... and I would hope people would have the sense not to pull the trigger.
"The human being created civilization not because of willingness but of a need to be assimilated into higher orders of structure and meaning."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:00 am

I'm not sure what the fuss is all about. I'm pretty sure we're all in agreement here that the idea is a shitty one.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:54 am

Biohazard wrote:How many of you would ACTUALLY shoot a pursuer if you had a firearm with you? I know I wouldn't even if fired upon if i have a good chance of outrunning and finding cover. A gun sounds like a good idea and movies lead you to believe so but it's not worth the risk. Consider getting caught with one by police on an op. You will be doing LOTS of time for sure - never worth it. Or how about this: someone catches you off guard and a short chase follows. You quickly draw the gun and without thinking anything through you end up shooting the other person. You will probably run off panicked, forgetting your brass behind. Murder is a very serious thing and there's a VERY good chance police will find the shells. It's almost a given that you would have your fingerprints on them if you have the "bringing a gun with me is cool" type of mentality. If you are like me and have your fingerprints on file, you are majorly fucked.

Meh, most of us say that we'd never shoot anyone, but when you're in the field and shit's going down, it's impossible to know how you will act unless you've been in the situation before. Being pursued by someone who's a lot bigger than you, is gaining, and is carrying a bat... of course we'd like to all come up with some tricky way to outsmart him and get away, but the reality is when your survival instinct kicks in, there is a chance that even the most timid and peaceful of us would turn around and pull the trigger.

I'm with the majority on this one - i would only carry one if i knew that my life would be on the line. and if i thought there was a good chance of that, i wouldn't be opping in the first place. Save the guns for SHTF/hunting/shooting/home defense, or join special forces if you like running around in the dark with firearms.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:37 am

I'm with you on that one Therin. Like I said if I have a good chance of running away I would not open fire, but who knows under that kind of stress. That's why I would rather not have a firearm with me on ops.
Fuck off.

II CraftyCommando II

Post by II CraftyCommando II » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:05 pm

There are alternatives to gunpowder-based firearms that are often overlooked. Air rifles, spring loaded rifles, and paintball guns can all be used as-is or modded for desired effect. I have known people in the past who switched out the bolt in their Tippman 98 for a reinforced bolt, and used ball bearings. Quite effective and non-lethal i may add.
We’re all miserable together.

It’s the opposite of a victimless crime.