Head covering?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
nooner

Head covering?

Post by nooner » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:00 am

Hey all, just wanted to see what everyone used for their head coverings.

I usually go with the tried-and-true t-shirt ninja mask with a black t-shirt. I find this does restrict my breathing and hearing a decent amount though. Anyone go with anything else? i was thinking about a black balaclava with ear-holes cut out, but I'd be worried about having too much skin showing. Maybe stitch some lighter weight, loose fabric back over the ear cut-outs so I could stay covered but still hear? I rely on my hearing a lot when I'm out.

I remember someone posted about using shemaghs a while ago, anyone have experience they could relate?

Code: Select all

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_0RubMi88JFI/SUlz3UzHFUI/AAAAAAAAAL8/7NFnmTC8azo/s320/shemagh+US+soldier+1.jpg
that's a shemagh, for reference.
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Re: Head covering?

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:12 am

I use the Ninja t-shirt mask as well, no problem with hearing or breathing though. I think the shirt you use may be too thick, get a thin one. Maybe that will help.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:33 am

My shemagh was (some theiving bastard stole it when I let them borrow my webbing :roll: ) awesome, a very useful bit of kit. Here's a quick run down of its uses -

- Scarf - Keeping your neck warm and insulating your clothing
- Mask - Covering the whole of your head
- Hat - Covering your hair and the rear of your head
- First Aid Support - Can be used to form a sling in the case of an injured arm
- Towel - Can be used to dry if you've got wet/something on you
- Camouflage - Can be used to conceal an item in undergrowth or bushes should you need to extract quickly
- Padding - I used to wrap my camera in my shamagh when I went out, so I could jog and my camera wouldn't break in my bag

On to your original question though - as headdress its brilliant. Very versatile and surprisingly easy to learn how to tie. There's a few tutorials online documenting the different ways too. Quite warm in the winter, whilst not being overly hot in hotter climbs.

One downside is that it can become loose if not tied perfectly though, and that can be a bit of a pain in the ass when you're jogging. It also gets very warm and moist whilst jogging due to the condensation with your breathe.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

trx100

Post by trx100 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Personally id stick to a balaclava with some small ear holes. Even with large ones, there wont really be enough skin showing to make you stand out.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:45 pm

I like bandannas or hoods or some combination of both. Like a shemagh or a knife the bandanna does a ton of different things. It's easy to tie and doesn't restrict hearing or vision. Grab a second one (or couple it with a hood in colder weather) and you have your whole head covered, pull it down without untying it if you have trouble breathing (which you shouldn't because it's really thin). The one problem I guess is that you need to experiment with it a bit before you take it out, make a good fit around your head/hood. What I do is put it on my face with a hood on or tie the bottom one on then the top one over the bottom knot and then retie the bottom one for a sturdy mask you can take apart without taking off (idea cam from Hatsumi's book "Way of the Ninja: Secret Techniques").

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I've actually gone over to a really cheap cotton balaclava as it's comfortable, light, and doesn't really impede hearing since the material is stretchy and loose knit. The method I use to test hearing is to gently rub my fingers together next to my ear so I can just barely hear them. Then I put on my headgear and do the same thing. If I can still hear my fingers, I'll be able to hear anything else.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

The Soldier

Post by The Soldier » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:48 am

i use a neoprene/microflleece face mask that covers the bottom half of my face. it was 20 bucks its light breathable and multifunctional as far as cold and hot weather. they are also sold as a baclava style mask. then just camo facepaint. and i have dark hair so i'm all set
"Every man dies, not every man truely lives"- William Wallace

"If it ain't rainin' we ain't trainin' "- U.S. Army Rangers.

"It is not enough we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required"- Winston Churchill

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:00 am

"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:07 pm

I use black balaclava, just like this one: http://www.military-kit.co.uk/images/3_ ... va_hat.jpg

I used a white paint marker to give it some faint patterns and lighten it up a little because as we all know, jet black isn't of much use when you sneak around at night.
Fuck off.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:57 pm

Biohazard wrote:I use black balaclava, just like this one: http://www.military-kit.co.uk/images/3_ ... va_hat.jpg

I used a white paint marker to give it some faint patterns and lighten it up a little because as we all know, jet black isn't of much use when you sneak around at night.
Thought pink would be more your colour....

I on the otherhand, want my shemagh back. I expect I'm gonna have to buy a new one. :roll: They're definitely worth the investment though; their dirt cheap considering all the stuff they can do!
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:14 am

I now own 2 shemaghs...

Olive-drab:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/shemagh/trv1911/CN-SHEMAGH-OD-2.jpg
Desert tan:

http://scorpionsurvival.com/store/images/isimages/MOPF61035.jpg
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

nooner

Post by nooner » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:44 am

Very nice, I like the olive drab, looks like it would go well with woodland MARPAT
Eat your veggies...

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 am

The OD one is thicker than the desert one, so I'll save it for when the weather cools down a bit (why they give us 6 weeks holiday in the summer, I don't know).

Speaking of MARPAT, I'd like to get some multicam...

Brain

Post by Brain » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:48 pm

My personal experience, I prefer baseball cup and not so long light scrap. Cup wont allow to see you on camera. Scrap help me to cover my face during the ops, other time it is not suspicious.
Scrap also used as wiper or cleaning tool.(erasing fingerprint,)
Sorry for my bad English, try to understand my posts. Happy to share exp.

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 pm

AVE...

I have a little problem with head covering. Since I was born I don't have a full-grown left eye(damn doctors fucked up epic). I can't remove damaged eyeball and replace with prosthetic eye(damn money shortage). My question is this: should I cover it up with black eye patch? Or leave it as it is, since from the distance it doesn't really stand out so much, especially in poor light?

Currently for cover I'm using black officer's jacket with hood and black bandanna. I thought about making something like black surgical mask or even hardened leather mask(also for protecting face from injury, mostly caused by some asshole's fist)...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

Xenia

Post by Xenia » Sun May 09, 2010 12:59 am

I use an actual ninja uniform. I don't care if it's childish, it works. The head covering is as you may imagine it.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun May 09, 2010 1:53 am

Dark Kaiser is/was a fairly prominent opper, and he used the traditional ninja gear as well. +1 for style points and comfortability/ease of movement, but -1 for lack of pockets.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Urgon

Post by Urgon » Sun May 09, 2010 2:24 am

AVE...

Just add belt or tactical vest with all the pockets you would ever need...
But in case of SHTF and you end up in trap this outfit would be quite suspicious. You can dump the vest, hide equipment, but you just can't take off this ninja suit. Unless you like running naked...
"We sleep peaceably in our beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on our behalf."

Airship pirate...

mib

Post by mib » Sun May 09, 2010 2:56 am

What ever happened to that guy...

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun May 09, 2010 5:06 am

He's alive and well, but he only logs on here once in a blue moon.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed May 12, 2010 6:13 am

This thing. I got it as a gift. It's super-breathable, and relatively cool because it's made for running. It has some reflectors on the top so I put on a dark green beanie over it.
I really like this setup.
-Gollum

Brain

Post by Brain » Thu May 20, 2010 2:01 pm

Dethkreep wrote:
This thing. I got it as a gift. It's super-breathable, and relatively cool because it's made for running. It has some reflectors on the top so I put on a dark green beanie over it.
I really like this setup.
oh shit, this is so cool, I wanna order one.
Exactly what i looking for.
Sorry for my bad English, try to understand my posts. Happy to share exp.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 am

It's sweet dude give it a try
-Gollum

CokeCanNinja

Post by CokeCanNinja » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:54 am

I use this: http://www.warriorquest.com/TrainingArt ... kin01.html most of the time, but in a pinch I use a under armor t-shirt to make the t-shirt ninja mask.

Blue_Social

Post by Blue_Social » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:18 pm

Black hat and a black hood.
Blocks my white kid complection!
"Eat healthy, exercise often, die anyways. Oh well, you might as well make your life as enjoyable as possible." ~Anonymous

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:46 am

Looks like that could get a little bit hot, best used for cooler months.