Some gear i found...

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghost

Some gear i found...

Post by Ghost » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:24 pm

So everyone's heard plenty about the whole load bearing vest vs. backpack vs. utility belt vs pockets thing, so i'm not going to elaborate on that too much, but here's the deal.

Normally i use a gear belt with pouches/holsters for all of my equipment. I tend to travel light while opping, and i like having my gear easily accessible. Unfortunately, the problem i find myself having with gear belts is that stuff tends to shake around a bit while i'm running or climbing, and it also gets in the way nearly every time i do parkour. Granted, some of this could be solved with a fanny pack or whatever you want to call it, but then you lose the speed at which you can deploy your gear, and you have to go through more trouble to make sure it won't shake around/make noise.

I'd just chalked this up to "nothing is perfect, who cares" because the belt setup i use now really isn't too terrible. But i was browsing thinkgeek yesterday, and (at the risk of sounding like a kidiot with a new tacticool toy) i found something that looks like it would answer all gear-holding disputes.

Picture, if you will, a hybrid between a fanny pack, a leg holster, and several belt pouches. Or, just paste this into your browser and prepare to shit some bricks due to amazement.

Code: Select all

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/9190/
It's sleek, it hugs your body, the storage space looks pretty much perfect to me, easy access to all your gear, won't bounce around... the list of why this thing looks awesome goes on and on.

Now here's the catch - it does not say how the pouches are fastened, nor does it say what material the thing is made out of. If it turns out that the answers to both these questions are suitable, i personally will shell out the $50 for it in a heartbeat and write up a full review. But i really don't feel like spending $50 on what may very well be a piece of tacticool felt on steroids, so tell me: anyone have experience with this thing?

Oh, and if that's not enough, they also make a shoulder holster version.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

hiro

Post by hiro » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:32 am

that looks so useful... :shock:

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:08 pm

It really does. It just looks a little expensive for me atm.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:22 am

It looks slick, I'd say it's probably durable but I really don't know, just basing my experience on their other stuff that I bought. Here's the shoulder holster

Code: Select all

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/918a/
Not sure I like it as much, I feel a tactical vest, back pack or even a jacket with pockets is a better choice of upper body gear storage imo.

Ghost

Re: Some gear i found...

Post by Ghost » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:43 pm

I've never really been one for upper body gear storage, mainly because i feel it constricts my movement considerably. I'd probably go with a vest or some sort of tactical rig though... it would need to be something that would still allow me to squeeze into tight places and perform basic parkour stuff as well.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."