Knives

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Kaze

Knives

Post by Kaze » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:30 pm

Knives are an extremely important tool, but CAN land you in a lot of trouble if you're caught with one.

Most of the time one wouldn't carry them for combat purposes but for the severing of rope, prying of doorways/windows etc etc.

What knives do you all recommend, this can be seen as a good list people can go to for help on the subject, I hope.

-salutes-

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:17 pm

I would get a swiss army for the tools is contains or a multi tool for the same reason and also something bigger and sturdier like a survival knife or a fighting knife. It really depends on preference and availability but no matter what type you get that you know how to use it, that it's sturdy' and that you don't mind losing it too much.

Blackcell

Post by Blackcell » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:16 pm

Id go with any full tang blade, theyre good for prying doors and plywood without having to worry about it breaking. I sometimes use my 5 inch kabar, its tough, pretty cheap, sharp and durable. For other purposes I use a crkt folder.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:45 am

In all honesty, i usually just carry one of those cheap mtech daggers. The only real thing i need a knife for is self defense, it's easy as shit to either find or bring something to use as a tool for any other needs.

And why spend an assload of money on a cold steel knife, when your $15 one is just as lethal? Either way, my main reason for using them is because they're dispensable. If it breaks? buy a new one. If you need to ditch it? buy a new one. Need to treat it like shit because you can't find any other daggers that will suffice? so what. Buy a new one later. You don't need to be concerned about a dagger like that, and the conveinience of not needing to worry about your knife, and knowing that you can get as many as you need for a very low price is a good thing.

Oh, and i'm pretty familiar with that design of knife, and my sticking distance with it is about 9 feet. Not bad for a fighting dagger.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:01 am

While I'm not a big fan of dagger designs, I agree that on 99% of my operations, I prefer a cheap but reliable knife.
I happen to use a $10 Fury most of the time that's basically a big slab of stainless steel, full tang, drop point, and essentially has all the qualities of a good operations knife. So you might be able to pry a bit harder with a Ka-Bar before it snaps. Big deal, you shouldn't be prying that hard with a knife anyhow.
I know that with all the heavy crawling, running, and jumping around I do, I can easily lose a field knife. Like Therin said, if one bites the dust, I can get one just like it easily.
Granted, I've got some really expensive blades that I'll use if I'm doing something I deem extremely difficult. But the bottom line is, 99% of the time we're coming back home the same night as we leave, so we have no need for the expensive, super durable materials when we can just restock in less than 24 hours.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:22 pm

Fury is a pretty good brand for the cost, too. My girlfriend has a nice one that's just a little bit too big to feel comfortable in her hand, so perhaps i'll start using that one for cutting/prying, and keep around a dagger simply for shtf situations.

heh, almost forgot, the little pocket knife i carry around on a regular basis is fury, also. not going to lie, i'd put one of their knifes up against anything cold steel puts out.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm

If you take a close look at mine in the Gear Pics! thread, you'll notice the tip of mine is snapped off. That happened while chiselling away at some material, which my Ka-Bar would have stood up to. Cold Steel knives would have fared even better. Another crappy thing about it is the velcro on the sheathe is barely sewed on, so you might want to reinforce that.
Stainless is simply more brittle in general. Even so, I still think these things make great knives to abuse the shit out of. I'd just be really careful using one to pry open say, a stiff window, as you might snap the blade in half and eat the top end.
The CRKT in that same picture I can't recommend enough. To me, that's the biggest bang for your buck, you can pick those up for around $15. It's razor sharp right out of the box, high quality black leather sheath with a black, heavy duty snap, and ultimately makes no noise or shine. The blade's durability is incredible for stainless as well.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Evil_0ne

Post by Evil_0ne » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:49 pm

i have a fury 12in Armada it has served me well on around 30 ops and a crkt which i think is the best $20 i have ever spent

Relentless07

Post by Relentless07 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:43 am

I carry a swiss army knife for utility and I carry one of about seven easily disposable knives that I've stolen from various outdoor shops. Nothing really fancy because you'll eventually either end up breaking/damaging or loosing the knife.

Warrussia

Post by Warrussia » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:10 am

I carry my ka-bar on night ops now, I got it for Christmas. Its 11 6/8" long with a 7" blade that is thick enough to pry with.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Quote "Ben Franklin"

stealththief

Re: Knives

Post by stealththief » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:35 am

I recently lost my small Swiss Army Knife dumpster diving and my pocket knife (not sure how I lost it though). I'm wondering what a good cheap pocket knife you could recommend is. I usually cut through plastic bags, cord and in the warmer seasons small sticks. I want something relatively small since I carry this everywhere (school, work, etc...) that has a clip (so I won't loose anymore knives), possibly with a serrated section. Whatever you think is good though, doesn't need to fit all the things I listed, just wanna see what you guys would get.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:23 am

Full-tang, sturdy, 440 stainless or other strong mineral, blade length no shorter than 5 inches but no longer than 7, it needs to have a good, versatile sheath, preferably double-edged and black. My two main opping knives can be found in the 'Gear Pics' thread, in the first pic. I want to get a black SOG Pentagon though, looks like a superb blade.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 am

I ended up getting a knife today from the mil surplus place nearby. I got a stainless steel Olympia folder. The blade is partially serrated (that's what I prefer) around 3 inches long, with a little peg thing so you can open it one handed or swing it open. I'm probably gonna practice opening it quickly and taking it out quickly and that sorta thing.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:51 am

Wow, just read my post up above and man that's old. I can't say i carry a cheap mtech anymore, now it's evolved into an equally inexpensive but much better quality smith and wesson. i'm thinking about switching to two knives on my standard opping loadout - my smith and wesson for utility, and a more expensive one that stays sheathed unless i find myself in an SHTF situation.