Op Recording Devices

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
V-S

Op Recording Devices

Post by V-S » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:53 am

Thread dedicated to discussing video/image recording devices (cameras) for NightOps used for either recording ops or for operational use. Also tips and tricks for recording your ops or uses for the devices.

Action Cameras
The small cameras that can be attached to a head or chest rig. Of course the most desired camera for POV of Ops/training. Some can also take decent low-light images, though this does mean keeping the device completely still for a few seconds. Most common is the GoPro, though unfortunately it's low-light capabilities are poor. Recently the DJI Action 4 was released, and to me it appears to be the best action camera to deal with low-light currently available. However, I'd be cautious about any DJI devices due to highly likely being Chinese spyware. PERSEC should be considered with these cameras as well as they do typically have GPS and potentially other tracking features. The only other action camera I can recommend is the Sony RX0II, though the main problem with it is it does not support head or body mounts, so it's hardly an actual action camera.

Best settings for the lowest-light environments with the GoPro are: FPS (30), LENS (Linear), ISO min (100) max (1600)

Camcorders
Usually better in low-light, due to bigger lenses and better senors. Some do come with "nightvision" mode, which emits an IR (Infa-Red) light from the camera. Which means the camera will have an IR senor as well, which is incredibly useful for detecting IR light coming from security cameras. Scanning an area with this feature before entering may reveal any unseen cameras, if they are IR cameras that is. Downsides to camcorders are they can be cumbersome you'll have to keep a hand free to use it. Also likely to break if dropped. So it's best used for recon purposes.

Night Vision Monoculars/Cameras
The most well known is the SiOnyx Aurora. I don't know a lot about and it's seemingly restricted in my country but from what I can gather it is the best non-IR light digital night vision camera. Cons are that it records only to 720p and that it has no real zoom.

The newest device from SiOnyx is the Opsin, though it is more tailored as helmet-mounted monocular.

DSLR
Expensive and professional cameras that are king when it comes to low-light level photography and filming. The best one I have researched so far is the Sony A7IV.

Thermal Images
Mostly used to detect a persons thermal signature. Though also could be used to detect heat from vehicles to determine if it has been recently used. Apparently thermal images don't see through glass well, though you may be able to to tell by thermal signature of the window to determine whether someone is inside a vehicle. Could potentially work on buildings as well. Assuming you are working at night with it, it should be easier to detect unnatural heat sources. Some metal surfaces don't show any temperature signature as surface can reflect the thermal energy. Thermal Imaging can see through smoke, but not fog. Thermal images are still expensive for decent devices. I have no personal experience with thermal images yet, and welcome other peoples feedback on it.

Snake Cameras
AKA: Endoscope or Inspection Cameras. Used to see under doors, through gaps, or around corners. They are easily available as attachments for smart phones. Do be cautious that most will have a light at the head which is not ideal for covert use. Try to find one with a light toggle, or modify it to remove the light.

Smart Phones
A device that almost everyone on earth has. Despite it's multi-feature capabilities, it is not advisable to take it on any serious ops because of how easily track-able it is and if you did lose it during an op, it'll likely be full of your personal info. The camera on is best used for grey-man style recon.

Hunting/Trail Cameras
The most useful purpose I can think of would be to act as a portable detection camera. Set it up on the most likely path someone will take to get to you and have it give an alert to your phone when something is detected. The cons with that is you would need to have a phone with you. Also you need a trail camera with that feature, a lot of cheaper trail cameras don't have any wireless network connectivity and record locally inside the unit. Still could be useful to gather intel such as seeing if there is any activity in a certain area. Of course the placement of the device would have to be hidden enough lest it be nicked.

Drone Cameras
The eye in the sky. The technology for drones is becoming greater every year. I don't know of any commercially available "stealth" drones. Though ideally you want it to be as quietest as possible, and have with a starlight technology camera. It will cost a fortune though. Consider the night sky's tone when using them. If it's a dark night, black or dark blue is probably going to be the best color, though if it's a cloudy night in the city, grey might be a more suitable color to lessen the silhouette. You can probably just ass light weight tape to the underbelly of it to change the color.

A general rule for filming in low light is that there is going to be a trade off between frame rate and image brightness. The lower the frame rate and shutter speed are, the more light that is let in. Having a low frame rate or shutter speed, however will cause the video to become blurry/laggy. So you'll have to adjust it depending on how dark the areas you'll be filming in. Also note frame rate and shutter speed are not the same thing.

I am by no means a photography/videography expert, this information is what I have researched and experienced.
Last edited by V-S on Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Xanatos

Re: Op Recording Devices

Post by Xanatos » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:02 pm

I'm against using anything with a built-in GPS device, although it is possible to remove the properties of photo & video files so nobody can track when, where or on what device it was shot on.

And while the IR feature on camcorders can be handy, I can attest trying to perform an op while recording with one is a HUGE pain. Occupies a hand, spoils your nightvision from looking at the viewfinder and makes it hard to navigate & perform in the dark when you're looking through the camera's perspective rather than your own eyes. Use with caution.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

V-S

Re: Op Recording Devices

Post by V-S » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:22 am

I've updated the post with more info^
The Sun is down, time to go to work.