escape tool

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Gsxisx

escape tool

Post by Gsxisx » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:18 pm

I've been playing around with an idea of an escape tool that I wanted to pass by everyone for opinions. It's only theory, and I've never tried it.
My idea is like a sort of caltrop but rather than sticking in boots it would cause a fall. Long story short my idea is to place ball bearings in a film canister and to possibly add lubrication to the canister.
When fleeing one would open and deploy behind behind them. I'm thinking about 3/8" to not get caught in boot treads. I'm not sure if the lubrication would get gummed up on surfaces or if a film canister would contain sufficient ball bearings to encompass a followers path behind you. Another possible idea for a canister are those M&M canisters which are a little bit longer. The canister would have to have a pop top for easy deployment.
Would the ball bearings be sufficient, or do you think lubrication would help?
Another concern would be noise discipline. I'm thinking that perhaps you could fill it to the brim and place a piece of tape to hold it shut. If one were to not use lubrication, then a piece of cotton could possibly help with noise discipline.
What is everyone's thought on this?

https://a.co/d/0lg9Ryo

https://a.co/d/fhCwoma

https://a.co/d/8jsKgfm

Psychlonic

Re: escape tool

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:39 pm

It's an interesting idea, I assume you're thinking for concrete and asphalt? Seems like an idea you would want to test to dial in what all you can get away with. I know you can buy anodized BBs that might be harder to see and would probably be of enough quantity that the person would slip even if many were caught in their boot treads. Especially out of an M&M canister.

Hard to weigh in on lubrication, but for what it's worth I can say that given a smoother surface, regular granulated sugar becomes as slick as ice. I've never tried dry graphite lube this way, but that might work even better.

This is all speculation as far as operations go, I've never used such a system. Let us know if you find anything interesting out!
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:59 pm

I use M&M/Skittles tubes for my metsu-bishi (blinding powder) since they're a lot easier to get a hold of (who uses film these days?), have greater volume and the pop-tops are easier to use one-handed. You could easily sound-proof them by stuffing some cloth or even a tissue on either end of the tube, similar to wadding for black powder firearms.

Another alternative would be having them on a string, like the pearl necklace in Home Alone 2. Of course that would entail having to actually bore through each individual ball bearing, so it's up to you if it's worth the effort. Might be a neat idea though if you want to turn it into a bracelet or necklace of sorts for social stealth purposes, similar to those paracord bracelets that allow you to wear something "tactically advantageous" but discreetly.

Another alternative is using speed-loading tubes for guns with tubular magazines (shotguns, lever-actions, etc). You could get a .22 caliber loading tube and load it with ball bearings instead.

Or have them in a pull-cord zipper pouch that you wear on the back of your belt, packed tightly and padded on the inside.

I dunno, the idea has merit. There are multiple solutions to this problem, just depends on your needs & resources.
Of course this method only works if you're on a smooth, hard surface such as floorboards or concrete. If you're on grass, sand or gravel it's gonna be pointless. Bur for us urban operators, I like the idea overall.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NoLongerLocked25

Post by NoLongerLocked25 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:14 pm

It all depends on the surface. If your throwing 3/8 ball bearings with lubricant in a grassy environment like a park or rear of a building to escape, they may not be much of a hindrance to someone or a group of someone's chasing you on foot. On smooth surfaces, like tile floors, smooth carpet, or stairs, hell yes. Fill the bottle with (Black) ball bearings and pour in some automotive (liquid) lubricant. Auto lubricant is some of the slickest stuff iv'e ever walked on. You are walking and all of a sudden have to balance yourself as you walk into it..

Heres a scenario to imagine.

You are about to enter a data room which you know will trip an alarm. You are going into this room to sabotage valuable information. There are guards in the adjacent rooms and outside. Cameras littered around the premises(Monitored offsite) and sophisticated access control with badge readers to every room.

Under a false identity, you get a "job" as a guard. You get a badge to the front door of the building and get familiar with the layout.

Before taking down the employee with the badge to the data room in the employee restroom, you quietly deploy this "tripping hazard" onto the surfaces guards may run on and slip as they gather to the scene of sabotage.

They slip, they fall, and you are already away from the area. This is a purely hypothetical scenario but you get the point..

It all depends. But if you need to trip people up, your probably entering an area with "unusual intent" which may or may not be what we are into.... HAHAHA

NoLongerLocked25

Post by NoLongerLocked25 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:14 pm

It all depends on the surface. If your throwing 3/8 ball bearings with lubricant in a grassy environment like a park or rear of a building to escape, they may not be much of a hindrance to someone or a group of someone's chasing you on foot. On smooth surfaces, like tile floors, smooth carpet, or stairs, hell yes. Fill the bottle with (Black) ball bearings and pour in some automotive (liquid) lubricant. Auto lubricant is some of the slickest stuff iv'e ever walked on. You are walking and all of a sudden have to balance yourself as you walk into it..

Heres a scenario to imagine.

You are about to enter a data room which you know will trip an alarm. You are going into this room to sabotage valuable information. There are guards in the adjacent rooms and outside. Cameras littered around the premises(Monitored offsite) and sophisticated access control with badge readers to every room.

Under a false identity, you get a "job" as a guard. You get a badge to the front door of the building and get familiar with the layout.

Before taking down the employee with the badge to the data room in the employee restroom, you quietly deploy this "tripping hazard" onto the surfaces guards may run on and slip as they gather to the scene of sabotage.

They slip, they fall, and you are already away from the area. This is a purely hypothetical scenario but you get the point..

It all depends. But if you need to trip people up, your probably entering an area with "unusual intent" which may or may not be what we are into.... HAHAHA