Sai

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
V-S

Sai

Post by V-S » Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:00 am

I am curious if anyone here has any experience with the sai? And do you think they could be useful as a tool outside of martial arts?

I was climbing up a steep bank on a op the other night and thought how useful it would be to have some climbing picks or some tool to dig into soft dirt to climb it easier and couldn't help but to think of the sai.

I'm not familiar with traditional eastern weapons but I can imagine there to be a heap of uses for some of these weapons beside combat.
The Sun is down, time to go to work.

Xanatos

Re: Sai

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 22, 2023 1:26 pm

I had a pair lying around here somewhere but never really thought of bringing them on ops. Not sure what I'd use them for.

They make good seed dibbers though, if you're into gardening.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Gsxisx

Post by Gsxisx » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:18 am

Climbing pitons would be better suited and easier to leave behind than a sai

Intruder

Post by Intruder » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:30 pm

Alright I'm gonna give you one of my oldest secret climbing techniques. You ready for this absolute gem that I have sat on for near a decade?

That's right. Weightlifting hooks. Still the best safe way to blind hook a solid but sharp fence, still the best for not having to care about condition and it wont get you arrested because, hey it's gym equipment. It's also cheaper to get the pic related ones. On top of that unless you are heavier than the most loaded up barbell, even a falling weight of your own body mass won't make them give. But fence edges will so watch that.

Try em out. Takes a bit of getting used to.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:38 pm

Hmm... reminds me of ninja shoku (climbing claws).
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Intruder

Post by Intruder » Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:39 pm

Teah they are a little better than that because they are actually for obscene weights and holding up heavy lifts. Some are rated for the impossible for normal people weights too so no problems with reliability. The thing is as they are wrist mounted they tend to be really easy to hide until it's go time and you can tuck them back into a sleeve easy enough. It's as close to a practical climb multiplier as I have ever found that isn't just insane mallninja stuff.