3D printed tools of the trade?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Ghost_of_Dystopia

3D printed tools of the trade?

Post by Ghost_of_Dystopia » Tue May 16, 2023 3:07 pm

Ever found yourself in a situation where you've had an idea for a custom piece of gear or tool, but couldn't track it down online? If that's the case, what exactly was it that you had in mind? I'm asking cause I reckon I could try 3D printing it.

Xanatos

Re: 3D printed tools of the trade?

Post by Xanatos » Tue May 16, 2023 8:55 pm

What materials are you using? 3D printing lockpicks could be kinda useful, provided they have high tensile strength.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost_of_Dystopia

Post by Ghost_of_Dystopia » Tue May 16, 2023 9:23 pm

I can't say I've ever tried it since I've already got a pair of ordinary ones. I'm using PLA plastic and I can change the density to be pretty strong so I imagine it could work with a hook or large diamond lockpick but maybe not something complex like a slim line rake. It would also work with a tension wrench but I suppose you could use any scrap metal for that. I'll definitely give it a try because I like the idea of having a disposable lockpick that can pass through metal detectors.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed May 17, 2023 3:26 pm

Actually, if the tensile strength is tough enough you might be able to make a polymer grappling hook or something. Would certainly save on weight and possible sound.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Intruder

Post by Intruder » Thu May 18, 2023 6:12 pm

The single most useful thing for 3d printing has typically been shells and attatchment buckles for strange optics, weirder mounts for cameras and niche spacers. You have to achohol treat a lot of prints to make them stable but generally the utility is far too niche atm. You'd have to discover an issue, get filament, manage nozzles, be able to take measurements, use the printer, clean up the print, then treat it return and use it or test it with equipment. Good for a dummy swap. IE you damage a panel and intend on concealing damage of said panel. This is useful with alarm boxes.

Most of what d printing covers can still be done cheaply with found materials. IE you might be able to make a cap for covering cameras, but why not just use glue in a garbage bag? Stuff like that. It's better for equipment you are familair with and need to adjust or alter. Shells for HF radios is a really good example of a practical use for 3d printing.