Woodland camo. Woodland Hunting or Military Woodland BDU

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Dethkreep

Woodland camo. Woodland Hunting or Military Woodland BDU

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:23 pm

I'm wondering if any can tell me or give me a place where I can find out, which one (Hunting or Military) is actually better. I know both are effective, I just want to know if one is extensively superior to the other. I just bought a longsleeve "Hunting" style shirt for night ops and I hope it does better than my Black turtleneck. I live in the suburbs but I'll be mostly concealing myself in the ample forests around my town, only leaving to achieve certain aspects of the op. All my escape routes are directed at forests as I know many of them well.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:46 am

as a general rule of thumb, military is always better. instead of being used to sneak up on colorblind animals, it's intended to hide you from humans.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:02 am

:( Well I already bought a hunting longsleeve. Now my question is; since I dont have any camo pants, would it be wise or unwise to wear military camo pants and hunting camo top? Or is mixing the two still effective?

darkwolf7

Post by darkwolf7 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:51 am

Military is good if your terrain changes it is far more diverse.

On the other hand the woodland hunting camo that has the realistic looking sticks branches and leaves print, is far superior if you stay exlusivly within that type of foliage it represents but If it changes, military or just solid colors of regular clothes arranged in a way that match your surroundings work exelent.
buy ninjutsu today!

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:05 am

Yes, my terrain is suburban houses, there are tons of forests around here but I really only go to them if I need a really discreet path or am being chased. I guess the hunting camo top didn't really do much for my camo except make much less visible in the foliage, so not bad for 15 bucks. I guess Im gonna go for the military camo pants, unless its a bad idea to mix the two.

darkwolf7

Post by darkwolf7 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 am

Actually its a great idea to mix the two, it gives you double the diversity in camo, but I highly recomend using just flat solid colors in the same colors as your surrounding because if you think about it how many times do you see that much of the mixed busy print of camo in your terrain :wink:
buy ninjutsu today!

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Well I was hoping to keep some camo, because most of our ops consist of travelling to and from targets, mostly through or on the edge of forests where they are easily accesible to run to. So I was thinking I could buy specifically darker military woodland camo like the one on this site (how do I give website without hotlinking?). Its nice and dark so from a little distance it would almost look solid at night, and it would definately help with the forest aspect of our ops.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:04 pm

Traditional woodland camo is just the patches of green, brown, black, and tan that the military no longer uses. I have a set, and it gets the job done, but the newer "digital" camo patterns like MARPAT and CADPAT have been proven far superior.

A word to the wise: don't rely on camo to hide you. it should only be there as a backup for when you mess up, or for when there is no possible way to avoid a heavily lit area. I just use black a fair amount of the time myself, and save the camo for when i feel the need for that additional "safety net". If you're new to opping, or just getting into the whole stealth and concealment thing, camo can be a great backup to help cover for your mistakes, but remember that it's only a backup. Any opper here should be able to conceal his or herself using the lighting conditions and natural/manmade cover in an area primarily.

Oh, and for the link, just type in

Code: Select all

right before the url, and 
right after.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Blackcell

Post by Blackcell » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:22 am

Just to add to therins point. Alot of times you can get away with wearing black if you need to start to blend in with a urban enviroment like walking in a crowd . Camo limits you only to the woods and rural terrain, always keep in mind your possibilities of entrance and exit. Always try to wear a completely diff outfit underneath so that if spotted you can shed your shell and once again blend into the background. On a side note and from personal experience, never ever buy ACU's unless your out on a rockey, sandy area with scrub brush like nevada. Anywhere in woods or light growth ACU will make you stand out against any eviromental setting. (not bad for fall though)
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

crastmaster

Post by crastmaster » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:50 pm

darkwolf and I have worked extensively on this and we've found that urban camo shorts over black pants with a black shirt/jack make you virtually invisible at any more than 25 feet in the dark when walking on pavement more if crouched in shadow. the only variation of this I use is a mil issue green trench coat which I used to get within 5 feet of darkwolf7 undetected
the tip, the blade, the hilt, the hand, and the arm-assassin ranks death gate cycle

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:30 am

I still plan on using woodland camo alot. There is a lot of forest around here. But I think I found a deal on the perfect night-op apparell for me. I think you guys might wanna check it out, IMO it's almost perfect. The top one.
But I have a question, about 3 items down there is a BDU called midnight blue, but to me at least it looks too bright to be effetive. I don't know though, maybe its my computer screen, maybe at night it really would darken out. If I can your guys opinion on which one to get it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 am

Dethkreep wrote:I still plan on using woodland camo alot. There is a lot of forest around here. But I think I found a deal on the perfect night-op apparell for me. I think you guys might wanna check it out, IMO it's almost perfect. The top one.
But I have a question, about 3 items down there is a BDU called midnight blue, but to me at least it looks too bright to be effetive. I don't know though, maybe its my computer screen, maybe at night it really would darken out. If I can your guys opinion on which one to get it would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
i'd say stick to camouflage to match the local stuff instead of the night because it'll work when a light hits you, but night stuff only works in the dark at night, when it's easy to hide anyway.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:41 am

See my terrain can vary alot. The suburban houses, lawns, fences, all the solid colors are a probably the most common area for me. Thats why Im thinking I should stick to solid Black or That Dark blue. Camo in the main area I op in wouldnt be very effective. But the other common area I use alot, but not as much, to traverse to objectives and hide in is tall grass, bushes and forest. Now since I'm more concerned about being seen in a neighborhood rather than a forest, Im thinking I should stick to the solids. At night in a forest, even camo wouldn't make it much harder to find me I think. So I would only use Woodland camo on occasions I knew I would be near forests or other plant frugal areas. So now my dillema is between those two BDU's, the Black or the "Midnight Blue" which on my computer doesn't look dark enough to me.

So I need a solid dark color BDU for Neighborhood oriented ops.
I need a good option, and right now I'm leaning towards the classic black BDU on that page I posted above. But I still wonder if that "Midnight Blue" is a better bet.

I'm almost leaning towards this just because it's dark, and covers everything, and looks flexible. I wouldn't wear the shoes that came with it, I think I'd stick to my ski mask as well.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 am

stay away from the midnight camo.
There is a reason the military doesn't use it.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:58 pm

I feel outdoors black is better because you can go prone to vanish or silhouette into a bush or a rock. You don't fear light as much in black but blue is better indoors when blending is pretty much the only option besides staying out or a field of vision because quarters are so close.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:35 am

Yeah so Im gonna either go for that Black Bdu, or the Ninja thing. Most likely the BDU.

Borninshadows

Post by Borninshadows » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:44 pm

you mean a shinobi shozuko? I'm gonna try using one on an op, and see what happens.
Legal Disclaimer: Everything I have written in the above post is most definitely hypothetical or written by a totally bored person

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:51 pm

Borninshadows wrote:you mean a shinobi shozuko? I'm gonna try using one on an op, and see what happens.
Not enough pockets in my opinion, but the design is good if get caught just say martial arts training, which is kinda true if you think enough about the word martial. Get a utility belt or tactical vest for the shinobi shozoku, for faster access to gear, secret pockets are good but they're slower that easy access pockets.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:22 am

^^ For the pocket issue. I was thinking maybe get just a pair of dark Blue gi pants. The ultra flexible Martial art pants. And then getting that Black Bdu top (or any BDU top for that matter). 4 more pockets, and a good and dark, durable shirt.

These are a good and cheap pair I think Im going to buy soon.

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:10 am

The Tabi are actually really good...

I would say to get some multicam...
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 am

I don't know maybe I'm missing something but Multicam has always looked way too light for me.

Btw this thread is old so to update you guys. I'm gonna buy some flecktarn BDU's as soon as I get a chance. Really dark and still super effective in vegetation.
"They do not see what lies ahead, when Sun has faded and Moon is dead."
-Gollum

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 am

The best advice I can give is ridiculously simple: use whatever works.

Some people might have long periods where they'll be doing a lot of movement through dead grasses, so lighter tones would be better. Some of us are in greener areas, and some of us are smack in the middle of heavy urban areas where the only green is in someone's pipe. Consider your area of operations, think about what schemes look the most similar, and that's what you wear.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:24 am

Sounds stupid but it took a long time for me to realize that. Theres so much variation in the area I'm in so it's been hard to figure it all out. Now I've figured most if not all of the main aspects of my area and no one thing is going to be perfect, but after finding flecktarn, I'm in a lot better situation than I thought I was.
-Gollum

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:17 am

Dethkreep wrote:I don't know maybe I'm missing something but Multicam has always looked way too light for me.

Btw this thread is old so to update you guys. I'm gonna buy some flecktarn BDU's as soon as I get a chance. Really dark and still super effective in vegetation.
Fair enough. The pattern actually blends really well.

But depending on where you live and the vegetation just do what works.

EDIT: Just saw the flecktarn patterns. Are you going to get the german flecjtarn pattern?

M84 camouflage looks sweet. :lol:
Valdravulfr (Me) -"One who is not at one with himself, is not at one with nature."
Valdravulfr (Me) -"Around lots of eyes, it is easier to go seen but unsuspected, than not seen at all."

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:59 pm

Yeah I'm gonna go for the German Flecktarn.
-Gollum

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm

It looks really good aye.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:04 am

Yeah. I posted this in resources but I feel it's being underused there. Check this site out Vald, it's where I compared all kinds of camo. A great resource.
EDIT: Forgot to mention it's all in German. You can translate the page, but it really isn't that big of a deal.
-Gollum

Valdravulfr

Post by Valdravulfr » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 pm

Woah, sweet. That site is awesome!

Yeah, pictures are the most important.

SOPIT

Post by SOPIT » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:59 am

Honestly id say woodland hunting. Most hunting clothes are designed to look like the enviorment your in. whereas military camo is built for multiple environments although it can be very unsucessful at doing this. the reason soilders dont wear mossy oak or other patterns is because the army can't and/or won't pay for a different camo loadout for every different environment.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 pm

I agree with you, for specific situations I would definately prefer just hunting camo, but I'm compromised between alot of vegetation (forests) and a lot of solids (Suburbia). So I think I need really dark camo. Camo that would look like a dark solid from a little distance. So I could hide in shadow well, but also disruptive to vision in case light was cast across me. Unless I am moving I will always be near vegetation so that's why I'm bent on camo.

Ksk Flecktarn or Danish m84 flecktarn seem like the best choices for me. Both are expensive =[.
-Gollum

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:57 am

For a cheap alternative though Im looking at just buying some cheap american camo and spray painting the tan parts black, and maybe shading the green parts to get them a little darker.

Spray paint on BDU, good or bad idea?
-Gollum

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:36 am

Look for spray on ink instead. It's an actual dye type substance you can spray on - I can't think of the exact name. But it's more an ink than a paint. Use that instead.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Dethkreep

Post by Dethkreep » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:57 pm

I saw that doin some research, there is some actual spray on clothes dye that they use to make t-shirts and hats for mexicans who want there name on there clothes. I'll get some of that in black I think.
-Gollum