Recording while phone screen is off/locked? (Android OS)

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Descreet

Recording while phone screen is off/locked? (Android OS)

Post by Descreet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:22 am

Hello oppers. Not to turn this place into a tech support forum but, I figured some of you might know how to record via the phone's original camera app while the screen is off/locked.

I've tried some applications, which did actually work, but they lack many features the original cam app has. (like wide fov, 60fps, etc.)

Xanatos

Re: Recording while phone screen is off/locked? (Android OS)

Post by Xanatos » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:22 pm

Don't know much about smartphones, but if you're thinking of using it for opping I suggest not using a device with a GPS & user ID on it.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Descreet

Post by Descreet » Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Oh... Well I'm dumb. Thanks. :D

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Post by Vengeance » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:47 am

I'm in agreement with Xanatos. Don't want law enforcement being able to see where you've been, or find it in the event you accidentally leave it behind.
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:08 am

Old digital cameras are pretty cheap nowadays, you can probably find used ones online for peanuts that still take decent pictures.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Descreet

Post by Descreet » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:12 pm

Buying used stuff (which are in decent condition) is a skill I don't have. I'll try though, thanks.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:46 pm

While it shouldn't need to be said but we'll say it anyway, smartphones that are registered to you or ones that you have a plan with is how many people are tracked or arrested after they do naughty things . However, I like the idea of an operator using and having smartphones on certain ops but the smartphone must be a burner phone or one no longer on a plan. With a smartphone, an operator has a camera, a video camera, a back-up flashlight, a distraction sound effects device (cricket sounds, voices talking or whispering ), and with enough memory or with an adapter that can read usb / backup hard drive the smartphone gives an operator access to information on lockpicking, escape, survival etc. Getting caught with a harddrive or usb with that same info while on an op would not be advantageous however. Many phones can still make 911 calls even if not on a plan, allowing an operative the ability to call and mislead authorities (which is illegal). I'm not a tech guy but I've heard of burner phones, cloned phones and even repeater type devices . perhaps another option is to use a small tablet that is not able to make calls and is not registered to you .

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:29 pm

Even if they're not registered to you, most phones have GPS devices in them anyway, meaning authorities can still trace them straight back to you if you bring them home. I never carry anything traceable with me on ops as a given rule.

basewatcher

Post by basewatcher » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:50 pm

Dont do it bro. Just creates evidence. Unless your device is encrypted and has a quick kill switch dont even consider it.