RF Audio Assets (bugs)

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
MustacheOperator

RF Audio Assets (bugs)

Post by MustacheOperator » Sat May 22, 2021 3:14 am

I can't believe there isn't any posts on listening devices here!

A quick search on e-bay will reveal dozens of consumer grade "bugs" that enable short-to-medium-term persistence and a transmission distance limited only by the number of repeaters you use. My favorites are the 400MHZ UHF variety made in Israel. They are commercial grade and completely untraceable when basic opsec is followed.

Cheap, COTS UHF radios (UHF penetrates better than VHF, VHF gives somewhat longer TX distances when clear LOS is achieved) such as those made by Baofeng can be used with a standard audio patch cable to record the listening device's loot to XYZ medium. In this setup, I typically can achieve a ~3000ft transmission distance from the device to the UHF receiver/recording device. Using a UHF->VHF->UHF repeater scheme, I have achieved over 3 miles in real world conditions on actual operations.

Finally, if you are into small unmanned aircraft systems, these can be outfitted with a UHF receiver to orbit overhead and collect (and relay) the data this way. My favorite method is to use a Raspberry Pi on the audio interface, SSH into the raspberry pi (very secure comm link) and pull the data down in real time.

*Always try to use Commercial Off The Shelf (COTS) for plausible deniability.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: RF Audio Assets (bugs)

Post by Sicarius » Sat May 22, 2021 4:50 am

Espionage like Splinter Cell is something that has interested me for a while, but all of the spy bugs on the internet seem crappy and useless. I have considered building my own bugs though, I have it in my notes but there is some service/retailer that as audio devices and cameras which are small and easily connect with other electronics. I never considered monitoring them in the field though, I think the safety of base would be better for that. Would you happen to have any links to this stuff or explaining it? Thank you! Also consider USB's and software for digital espionage, there are even sabotage USB's available for sale to the general public
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

MustacheOperator

Re: RF Audio Assets (bugs)

Post by MustacheOperator » Sat May 22, 2021 10:10 pm

Sicarius wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 4:50 am
Espionage like Splinter Cell is something that has interested me for a while, but all of the spy bugs on the internet seem crappy and useless. I have considered building my own bugs though, I have it in my notes but there is some service/retailer that as audio devices and cameras which are small and easily connect with other electronics. I never considered monitoring them in the field though, I think the safety of base would be better for that. Would you happen to have any links to this stuff or explaining it? Thank you! Also consider USB's and software for digital espionage, there are even sabotage USB's available for sale to the general public
I would be honored to do a little write up on this, along with some gear recs. I will get that up ASAP.
but all of the spy bugs on the internet seem crappy and useless
Most of them are. A few are professional grade, and at least good enough to remain undetected by non technical targets. I have picked up a few that include a remote to turn the listening device on and off, very useful when someone is running TSCMs. The best I've managed to get was the UHF variety made in Israel, they are around the size of a dime, although the microphone itself is only the size of a match head (https://www.ebay.com/itm/373497959207). I also like the VOX capabilities of this one (https://www.ebay.com/itm/254012313895) as it makes detecting via intermittent TSCM much more arduous

In general, stay clear of the FM variety. Sure, they are easy enough to listen to but anybody with an FM radio can potentially threaten its mission. A few do at least give you the ability to tune below the commonly used freqs, but UHF bugs will give much better range especially through obstacles such as homes.

The UHF radio itself acts as the receiver, although they make duplexers that let you hook two radios (even of different bands) together as an impromptu repeater. Add a nice 25W-50W amplifier in-line and you have yourself a very powerful, short term repeater.

I'll give a much better write-up with photos later on today.

*As far as the USBs go, Hak5 makes some excellent products in this respect. Their "rubber ducky" and "bash bunny" among others do exactly what they promise. :D

Also, here is a set that includes the UHF 2 way already programmed to the correct freq: https://www.ebay.com/itm/373487033355