CRKT Provoke: For the Karambit People

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

CRKT Provoke: For the Karambit People

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:39 pm

I'm not big on karambits but I did find this particular design to be sort of neat:

Code: Select all

https://www.crkt.com/provoke.html
Very low profile capable with quick deploy and overcomes the issue of a folder potentially closing on your fingers.
While he didn't do the best job on the world with his mods, Joerg Sprave showed at least an interesting proof of concept mod here:

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj7m5PChTHc
This would allow the user to carry the karambit in hand without anyone noticing and be able to quickly deploy in a high risk area. Not that I'm advocating their usage on ops but hey. I know we have some fans.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Re: CRKT Provoke: For the Karambit People

Post by Sicarius » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:47 pm

They had one of these in the shop where I got my 25 dollar karambit, and this knife handled really nicely I must say.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:04 pm

That's pretty fuckin' dope. Would be hard to get one here though. I carry a folding karambit as my standard EDC these days, but that one looks much nicer in quality.

Wouldn't mind a Fox599 Karambit myself. Has the Emerson Wave feature that makes it quick & easy to deploy from the pocket.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Couldn't resist.
provoke1.JPG
Pretty sure I got the last one in the country too.
provoke2.jpg
Comparison with some of my other EDC karambits.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:27 pm

Does Australia put restrictions on karambits?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 pm

They're prohibited to import (with exceptions) but not illegal to 'own' (with exceptions).

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:20 pm

Xanatos wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:01 pm
They're prohibited to import (with exceptions) but not illegal to 'own' (with exceptions).
Thanks

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:58 pm

I find the mechanism interesting on it, what did you two think of it as far as strength goes? What's the weight like? Balance? It's hard to tell in the picture but it seems to really hide in a palm nicely as well.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm

In the palm it fits nice & snug when collapsed and in the pocket it's practically invisible (thanks to the 'no-profile' clip). It also comes with a Kydex sheath and multiple mounting options if you wish to wear it externally on a belt, vest or other mounting platform. Weight wise I say it's perfect for what it is - heavy enough to use as a knuckle duster with the finger ring or ceramic glass breaker - although the few people who I've showed it to say it's rather heavy (albeit they aren't knife experts or aficionados like us). The locking mechanism is definitely superior to most of my other folding/collapsible knives, although this is a fairly recent purchase and I haven't carried it enough to properly verify its longevity.

The main crux I've found is in its ease of opening - it seems too easy to open, and often deploys when drawing it from the pocket. I've already cut myself on the hand once and put a hole in another pocket when trying to draw it, so it definitely takes a bit of practise to get the hang of. Granted this is part of the overall design (similar to the Fox 599 karambit with its Emerson 'wave' feature) but definitely requires an expert's touch to make full use of it. You have to handle it rather gingerly if you want to take it out of your pocket without deploying the blade.

Also, while it's dead easy to deploy one-handed, it's a bit fiddly to close one-handed. It's possible, but not nearly as convenient to close as my balisong or other folding knives. Makes it just a bit more impractical as an EDC knife if you want complete one-handed operability.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:55 pm

Nice, it definitely seems like a great concept. Should be great for insta-karambit if the situation calls for it. I still swear by a Frenzy, here. Maybe someday I'll give in to the dark side lol.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:14 am

Over a year of carrying & deploying later I can safely say the CRKT Provoke is worth its weight in gold. Edge has held up beautifully and the locking mechanism shows no signs of loosening. Definitely worth the money (if you like this sort of knife) but be wary of Chinese copies which I suspect aren't as well made.