Leatherman Charge+: Gear Review

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Sicarius
Location: Possibly on a distant Mediterranean shore... one day

Leatherman Charge+: Gear Review

Post by Sicarius » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:42 am

I am reviewing a multi-tool made by Leather Man called the "Charge+". Here is a link to the page for it; https://www.leatherman.com/charge-552.html

Tools

The Charge+ offers a wide array of tools for its weight but does not have it all. The tool I have used most in the field for a practical purpose is the standard knife. The blade is much sharper than expected, as I learned very quickly handling paracord. The other tool that I used the most was the pliers. These have a strong grip for their size and have wire cutters as well. The tool that I actually used the most was the large screwdriver. I unscrewed door handles, electrical fixtures(street lamps), and more with these. I have so far never used them for anything furthering an operation, but they work well. The bit, screwdriver head, can be changed out and you can buy more bits from Leatherman's "bit kit". The other tools have little purpose, however. A can opener serves little purpose, for example.

Durability

The tool is robust, but the handles scratch somewhat easily due to their material. The blade can also take small dents, but it is made of 154CM steel and easily resharpens with a nice edge.

Weight

For its size, this multi-tool is very lightweight. This is due to the handles being polymer. However, it is still heavier than needed.

Is it practical?

It is a good multi-tool, but for operating I do not think it is well suited. It is larger than needed, heavier, and has too many tools that we will most likely never need. A small pair of bolt cutters, a flathead screwdriver, and a small knife can replace the tool with better functions. The bolt cutters can cut heavier materials, the screwdriver is insanely multipurpose(Ex, prying), and the small knife weighs less. While these options take up more space, a small multi-tool would still be superior I argue. A small knife, pliers, screwdriver, and not much else on it. I made this review short because I felt that the tool was just not well suited to what we do. What tools do you guys carry, especially of the lighter variety?
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Vengeance
Location: Every night look into the darkness and know I'm out there.

Re: Leatherman Charge+: Gear Review

Post by Vengeance » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:04 am

I enjoyed your review.
Recently i've been interested in purchasing a good multi too but I'm having trouble deciding on one.
Would you have any recommendations?
It's the nature of this beast to feed upon the will to numb it, this monster brought the seed of life, well now i have become it.

Wind

Post by Wind » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:01 am

One option could be to mod the Charge by removing all the tools that you do not want. It would definitely cut down on the weight. Doing so, does void the warranty. However, it could still be worth it, and any Leatherman you will get plenty of life out of anyway. When putting it back together, you may need to put spacers in --- something like a washer cut to fit. Couldn't find a great video on it (and I hate the music in this one), but it does show how to take one apart at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wUTMlW25kM

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Vengeance- Sorry, I have no solid recommendation. Maybe try a small lightweight multi-tool or modify this one as Wind suggested.

Wind- Make sure to mute the video lol, that music is awful. Modifying the tool seems like a good idea for someone more dedicated, I would rather modify other gear before that though. It would heavily reduce the weight of the tool though, however, the size would still be a problem. I operate very light so that is why I value it so much. Another idea, buy one or two other Leatherman, disassemble them, and then throw all of the tools you need onto one multi-tool! Still would be heavy, but at least it is heavy with the tools you need. I may not even use multi-tool in the future, and opt for the stronger variants of the individual tools inside.
"If one cannot be both, it is much better to be feared than loved" - Niccolo Machiavelli, The Prince

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:11 pm

What I'd give for a decent off the shelf multitool packed only with items I'd use. I run into the same problem in other areas I like multitools. Could make your own custom tools but at that point might as well make the entire thing custom.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Sicarius

Post by Sicarius » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:17 pm

I would give so much money for custom gear tailored to us, that would be awesome! Maybe one day we can have instructions available on how to modify gear better, I think that online orders should and would never happen though.

Necrogue

Post by Necrogue » Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:53 pm

While I think custom tools would be cool, I think learning to recognize the potential to repurpose everyday items, to be able to source materials in the field and/or ‘on the fly’ does more for us in the long run than having ‘tacticool’ custom kit. Doing more with less hones and develops our acumen in thinking outside the box, an ability which can make or break an op.

On the other hand, who among us hasn’t fantasized about having a gadget laden utility belt like Batman?

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:45 am

I'd say 99.9% of the time I don't use a single tool, or maybe a light of whatever fashion. I'm just surprised nobody has put out a customizable product where you buy the base frame with your standard crap and can change them out with various blister packs of other things. Not to derail the thread, but to emphasis "other areas" I've mentioned, I'm way more active in bushcraft and have no use for bottle openers and flimsy scissors. To that end, it may surprise some but despite my guide hyping them up I don't even use multitools for night ops anymore. If my knowledge of the target warrants carrying tools, I'd much rather carry purpose-made tools for the job. I find that any tool trying to do a bunch of things all at once tends to be not so great at any of them. Except maybe the pliers.

Multitools are still as good as they ever were though, I'm not knocking them by any means. Just not my preference.

Also, when you get access to more skills, tools, and funds you can make things as custom and tacticool as you like. :) Or low key and concealable, as I prefer.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.