Cheap rugged backpack!

Tools and equipment to get the job done.

Would you use it?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

dfnd

Cheap rugged backpack!

Post by dfnd » Tue May 20, 2008 10:41 am

Code: Select all

http://www.redsoldier.com/Black-Star-Backpack?sc=2&category=1604
Just as the subject says....
Peace and War, like Yin and Yang...Cant have one with out the other.

Beathe...Take in the sights sounds and smells...Your free now.

hX_

Post by hX_ » Tue May 20, 2008 2:59 pm

No, as it's not THAT cheap, doesn't look very rigid and the shoulder straps don't look greatly padded. Personally I go for things such as
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... CKPACK.htm
Because they are less identifiable (non "army" look) and cheaper. They're quite good to mod too, as there are usually several sections that secret pockets can be added, and the shoulder straps can be opened to add padding.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Tue May 20, 2008 5:31 pm

That's not too bad. I used a similar one for a couple years. My only complaint was the time it took to access the main compartment. Your best bet with these is to loosen it up and get it ready before getting up close to the target, then tighten the top flap as quickly as possible. When you get a decent distance away again, properly secure everything by closing the top tie string.

You could probably find one cheaper if you've got a local surplus store.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

dfnd

Post by dfnd » Wed May 21, 2008 12:37 am

@Hx_
Yes it is cheap, its in dollars not pounds. I like to stay away from civvy bags, because the look cheap and the cops associate that with theft, as i have had that experience.

As a hijack of my own thread, what do my fellow NSO members use to carry gear at the moment? a use a laptop hybrid bag. i want to try a maxpedition gear slinger, but costs lots of $$$$

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Wed May 21, 2008 1:09 am

Pockets or small bag, (type doesn't matter because usually cache it somewhere before near are of operation). It's lighter and quieter that way and lets me climb better and quicker.

dfnd

Post by dfnd » Wed May 21, 2008 3:06 am

what do you guys think of drop-leg type arrangements? like milspec type

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed May 21, 2008 4:50 am

Those are great. You can carry a multitool, flashlight, picks, a card, and some wire almost without noticing it's all there.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

hX_

Post by hX_ » Wed May 21, 2008 8:44 am

I know its in dollars, there it's £15. Ok its not realllly expensive, but I find a "civ" bag less conspicuous where I live and with my appearance; most young males wear a rucksack when out, a lot of the girls do too.

The only time I've been hassled about my bag is while carrying two 3L bottles of cider in it, which made a clearly visible bulge (I'm too young to legally drink). Thankfully, as the bottles were fizzed up from being in my bag for a couple of hours, when the police opened them to tip them onto the grass, the pressure in the bottle caused them to be sprayed in the face with cheap cider! Made the loss of £5 worth of booze slightly more bearable lol.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Fri May 23, 2008 6:05 pm

I stick to civvy bags, don't like military kit at times - can look out of place.

Don't get me wrong, I own all kinds of military kit - infact I lent my PLCE webbing out to someone last night and I feel like I am missing a friend! Its just it rarely gets used for NightOpping.

I managed to get one of these; without the labelling for free..

Code: Select all

http://i25.tinypic.com/keypom.jpg
The features it has are:
  • Cheap - How could it be cheaper?!
  • Dark - Yet casual
  • Pouch at the front for bits you may need in a hurry - I put my first aid kit in there, a minimag and a hi-viz vest.
  • Small "wallet" pouch inside on the top - I keep spare batteries in there
  • 2 mesh bottle holders on the side - I keep my tripod secured in one and a water bottle in the other [although I do have a camelbak]
  • 2 clips that you can use to keep the size down - Very useful for getting through small spaces - or even securing things onto the bag itself.
I will try and get a picture of my one, when its been fully loaded.

Over all though, the things I look for in a rucksack are:
  • Looks - I want a casual but darker one
  • Durability - I normally keep to ripstop; although I had a ripstop bag fuckup mid-op one night
  • Weight - I want lightweight material preferably
  • Water resistance - I've been in rivers and drains; so I want a bag that is going to resist water to a decent level.
  • Modularity - maybe not the best word, but I want a rucksack that can have things hooked onto it and clipped on.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat May 24, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm a big fan of rigging all of your gear onto a belt, it just seems so much more convenient that way. Quick access, doesn't get in the way, and doesn't shift around much.

I've used a small shoulder bag, which works pretty well, i just don't like the time it takes to open up a bag and fish around in it for your gear. Gear tends to shift around a lot in a bag, and it makes a bit of noise too. At the moment i'm working on a shoulder rig for my gear, when i have some time i'll post some pics of the gear belt i use and my standard load out.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Sun May 25, 2008 3:45 am

I'll post a pic of my rucksack tonight, its 4:40AM and its all packed for what looks to be a busy day!
Therin the Hand wrote:I'm a big fan of rigging all of your gear onto a belt, it just seems so much more convenient that way. Quick access, doesn't get in the way, and doesn't shift around much.

I've used a small shoulder bag, which works pretty well, i just don't like the time it takes to open up a bag and fish around in it for your gear. Gear tends to shift around a lot in a bag, and it makes a bit of noise too. At the moment i'm working on a shoulder rig for my gear, when i have some time i'll post some pics of the gear belt i use and my standard load out.
You're right - there is no alternative for a utility belt really. Your kit is just.. there. Its just nice to have a rucksack for walking in certain areas though - as a belt can look out of place with lots of pouches. [Often I stow away a simplistic utility belt in my rucksack, and get it out prior to approaching the target]

I generally have a general purpose pouch [a glow stick or two, first aid kit, minimag, multitool and spare batteries], a maglite holder and maybe a small utility pouch containing items dependant on my exact task. Everything else would still be in a rucksack; just the items I want to get quickly/alot/at the worst of times, go on the belt for ease.

I have used a grappling hook to get a line upto a roof before, tied the rucksack onto the line, climbed up myself and then pulled the rucksack up though. Im not quite sure how I'd feel climbing with a utility belt - a rucksack isn't too bad depending on the weight. [Although, I have climbed onto roofs to be greeted by a railing, and have got stuck in the railing before as I forgot to take my rucksack off. Being stuck on a railing on the edge of a 5 storey building was pretty shitty - had it not been for the girl I was opping with, I would've absolutely shat myself!]

If you get a rucksack that has the supports that go around your hips and clip together, I often put my belt pouches on there. Obviously you can only get half the pouches though.

buc33s

Post by buc33s » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:55 pm

What happened to the good ol' fanny pack for small loadouts?