Lock Bypassing Tools

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
chillythingy

Lock Bypassing Tools

Post by chillythingy » Thu May 15, 2008 8:39 am

From what I've heard, bump keys are the most efficient way to bypass a standard lock. I've never used them and was wondering how they compared to lockpicks. Before it was confiscated, I had a small lockpick set that I always kept in my wallet. I've used it many times, but with it I had a very low success rate (mostly because I become impatient after about 10 minutes).

Anyways, I was going to look for a new lock-bypassing tool pretty soon. I know where to buy the right-sized picks that will fit in my wallet, but I was also considering the bump keys. However, I don't know where to find bump keys for sale, nor do I know how to make them. And I also don't know if I could fit them in my wallet, which is the most important factor for me.

Any suggestions?
When I was young, I was afraid of the dark.

Now that I'm older, it is the light I fear.

KolmeK

Post by KolmeK » Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Code: Select all

http://www.bumpkey.us/
sells bumpkeys. I have purchased the eleven key set from them, but that was almost a year ago and their prices have risen steeply judging by a quick browse through the website. It used to be around a dollar a key. Selling bumpkeys are illegal, so all they do is set the keys up to correct profile, then you still have to file down the collar. Once you get the collar spaced right they work awesome.

The issue with bumpkeys is that you have to have the right key for the lock. Most households and stuff use about five different keys, but there are 20+ different key vareties in common use, this doesn't even count the 100+ obscure keys around. This is where the advantage lies in lockpicks, you can open anything with a few tools. With bumpkeys you need to carry lots of keys. If it takes you 10 minutes to pick a lock your not doing it right and need to practice more in a controled environment. Nuff said.
KØÏmêK
Admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof. Consider making counter-accusations.

"Tell them of us and say,
For their tomorrow,
We gave our today."

-- The Kohima Epitaph

Evil_0ne

Post by Evil_0ne » Fri May 16, 2008 9:50 pm

in my opinion lockpicks>bumpkeys because if you are good enough (practice) you can get one in around a couple of minutes if it is a common lock type that you have had experience with. Also lockpicks are smaller and with a small set of 14 or so pieces you can open about anything. I have not had too much experience with bumpkeys but I just like the picks better...

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:59 pm

Don't bother with bump keys on ops. The reason should be obvious. Practice manual lock picking. Silent, quick, reliable and can be used on almost any lock. If you really want a quick lock bypass tool, try a cylinder puller. You screw it into the keyway and use a counterweight to break the cylinder from the lock. BANG! Open. I was being sarcastic.
Fuck off.

GothicNiNjA

Post by GothicNiNjA » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 am

but also consider that if you have a specific target area/building/whatever to find out if you have a key that fits into that door, i have hundreds of keys ive collected from all over the place and a ton of different brands and some that ive never seen before or since the one, but if you can find one for those set of doors, make a bump key then you quick access for that whole building then keep that key just in case you need to go back there someday
Chaos is Beauty

lnsurgent

Re: Lock Bypassing Tools

Post by lnsurgent » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Seems to me a lock set would be the best way. Especially for an op. Speaking of which, could someone direct me to a good starting set? I'm looking to use the last $50 of my PayPal account. Ive always gotten my way through ducts or windows, or getting through the number pad on a door. Too easy.

SteamPunk

Post by SteamPunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:32 pm

Any good place to get lockpicks in the states? It's kinda illegal here.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:11 am

I'm sure other members know of some good sellers. I personally think the best sets are homemade, and any operative really wanting to get serious should get a grinder and some metal stock, be it saw blades, brick strapping, or street sweeper bristles. You can find templates all over the internet, and having the tools and know-how to make more picks is always a good insurance policy on your equipment. In many places, a good bench grinder can be bought second hand cheaply.

On bump keys, the technique is not always quick and easy. Just because a bump key works on a lock at your house well does not mean it's going to work just as well on any lock just like it. It can be very tedious, and while ultimately effective, why not just learn to use a more flexible technique? Just my two cents.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

stealththief

Post by stealththief » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:11 am

Don't forget about carding and shimming. Also a lot of padlocks will pop open if you throw a cloth through the top and give it a yank.