TRY OUT KEYS

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
NINJAHAMMER

TRY OUT KEYS

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:29 pm

Wondering if anyone has used "try out keys" for ops or any tips they may provide. Try out keys are sets of keys that are used to try to open a lock. Back in my Liberating days, I had a padlock that I just couldn't seem to pick - I only rake locks and this little Masterlock padlock thwarted my efforts of some loot. Now, of course, I could have just cut the padlock, replaced it with a similar lock and poured some glue inside the key hole (this way the lock owner may assume that someone didn't enter the area and just sabotaged the lock to be an ass) however, that leaves a trace and I strive to be invisible. So I started collecting keys from lost and founds at local stores, malls, places where I worked, etc Sure enough, after getting about 30 Masterlock keys, one of those suckers worked to open the lock - with some twerking, playing, shaking of the key. Now, I have a number of Schlage and Kwickset keys but haven't tried this same technique of trying a number of keys; but for a padlock, it can work with a set of say 50 different keys. Now a set of 50 keys is noisy, heavy, and doesn't fit in your pocket too easily but if your picking skills are not expert level and you can't afford an electronic vibrating pick yet - it works. I also know that it can work for car keys, as I have accidentally (yes, accidentally - . . . . do you think I'm some kind of criminal?) opened the car door of a car that looked just like mine in the parking lot (Goddamn work parking lot cameras . . . if they didn't have em, I could have checked the glove box, found the owner's address with the registration and then had access to his car if a mission ever required one).

Psychlonic

Re: TRY OUT KEYS

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:54 pm

The vast majority of Masterlocks out there are simple 4 pin locks with quality control issues, so a smaller number of keys should work. However, practicing picking them will yield fast results. This is where SPP is king because it always works in a short amount of time, sometimes raking won't because the same QC that makes them either super sloppy or really tight if weathered can make it a bear. It's random. 9 out of 10 times you can open a Masterlock in under a minute but that 1 in 10 will fuck you if you rake or zip. SPP will open even the most stubborn Masterlock in under 3 minutes, usually far far less for a less abused one. And this is assuming there's not enough slack in the shackle - which there typically is - for a good shim set. Some Masterlocks are also vulnerable to a knife tool being ran in and manually moving the locking mechanism in the back of the cylinder. And I'm no picking wizard, I'm practicing more lately but this is novice level. If you can commit to practicing and not going for the instant gratification raking can yield it will pay off in a matter of weeks for Masterlocks.

Many older car locks and even some imports as recent as the 90s use few pins in their locks and should be more vulnerable to try-out keys as well. Older American car locks are also usually quite sloppy these days with enough pins binding just from putting any key in that even less tries should be required.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:26 pm

Thanks for the info: Back when I opened this lock with the try out keys, I wasn't aware of padlock shims. Also, I only became aware of opening a padlock with a knife tool after your above post which is kinda cool as I try to stay up on infiltration methods. I mean, I've heard of hitting padlocks with a hammer on its side to unlatch the internal hasp / catch, I've heard of using nut crackers to work on padlocks, but didn't know about manipulating a padlock's catch through the keyhole with a knife pick. Thanks. And, you're correct about the car key mentioned above. The car I mistakenly opened with my own car key was a 2000 year model ( not a key with a chip or advanced technology) and as I was in my employer's parking lot, I didn't try the key in the ignition but I'm sure it would have worked as the key opened the car door. One of the nice things about having a real key that works in someone else's lock or a gate lock (after you tried the try out keys and found one that works) is that you can leave the lock picks at home and if stopped by the police, you have a key that you can claim was given to you. Of course, if you are wearing a ninja hood . . . well, . . . your screwed. Anyway, for those of you who didn't know what a knifetool is or who may have got one in the lockpick set but didn't know what it is . . . here is a pic.
Attachments
P-KNIFE.jpg
knife pick tool
P-KNIFE.jpg (4.23 KiB) Viewed 9246 times

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:44 am

That's a good point on just having a key on you, especially if it's somewhat of an anonymous key amongst many on your ring. Not every lock bypass situation will be on an op. I should also throw in that sometimes small wafer locks are used, usually on smaller ATVs, UTVs, or even RV doors/camp trailers and such. These are usually susceptible to what's called an "overlifting" attack with a blank key or similarly - I can't think of the name of the attack off hand but basically you put in the wrong key and just start jiggling the key clockwise and counterclockwise violently and the same thing happens as does with the overlifting attack. Easy as cake since any wafer key of sufficient length will work. Sometimes even certain multitool parts can do this job depending on their size, in the past I had a smoothed awl on mine to access RVs and camp trailers. But beyond that, just another key on your ring will suffice. Obviously jiggler keys work here as well.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 am

+1 on single pin picking. Masterlock No. 3 is one of the locks I trained on after I bought my Southord newbie set and it's turned into somewhat of a joke. I'm not even shit, either!
Stay in the shadows.