Let's talk camera work for Dare Ops.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

Let's talk camera work for Dare Ops.

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:33 am

I've been combing over the various dare ops and thought it would be comical to hammer a bunch out since I've never formally done so with pictures. My only wonder is coming up with a clever way to take the pictures so that they show me, the sign, but don't alert everyone that I'm there. I'd prefer to avoid the flash completely, just seems a horrible idea. Taking the damn picture seems harder and more risky than the dares, so does anyone have a good method to mitigate this?
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Re: Let's talk camera work for Dare Ops.

Post by Xanatos » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:47 am

I always try and choose a place where the flash is least likely to be noticed by outside eyes (the inside corner of a building, behind a wall, etc). Sometimes for more 'exposed' shoots (such as on top of a crane) I can just count on the fact that it's unlikely anybody will be staring straight up at the top while I'm there, and if they do the flash will be a cursory glance at the corner of their vision that they won't be able to pinpoint the source of. Other than that you can try and pick areas with some artificial lighting to illuminate you & the sign clearly (such as my last dare) or even set the ISO on your camera really high under the light of a full moon (you'll have to be very steady for the shot to turn out clearly). Other than that you can always use your flashlight if you can find some way to control the spread of the beam.

On the off-chance my photography is noticed, I usually explore the target first and then take pictures once I'm ready to leave. That way if someone does come to investigate, I'm already on my way out of the vicinity.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:55 am

Are you worried that the pics could compromise you in any way? What are some things you do to prevent that, beyond wearing a mask.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:48 pm

What, you never opped in leather before?

That one was done a few years back on my way home from uni. Stopped over by a cemetery for a quick op while everything was closed.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:09 am

Hey - if you got it, flaunt it.

Giraffe

Post by Giraffe » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:04 am

I've seen some cameras, especially on phones, pick up infrared light. You could try using an infrared torch instead of a flash. Might work, might not.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:02 am

Giraffe wrote:I've seen some cameras, especially on phones, pick up infrared light. You could try using an infrared torch instead of a flash. Might work, might not.
Now that would be a good idea. I had considered the idea of using a faint red light in conjunction with the camera as well.

I'm not concerned with my identity or anything like that so much as creating a momentary flash of super bright light. That's what I want to avoid. In many areas around here, that's not something people just brush off. It's instant suspicion. And also for many areas, ambient light will be extremely minimal so obviously you'd need to see me, the sign, and the objective.

I honestly think this issue is what holds most people back from taking pictures on the dares. I know many members who'd be all over the list, but snapping a pic is a huge pain in the ass. Currently, I'm still on the side of the fence where it's too big of an annoyance without a proper "fix".
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:04 am

IR is the way to go then. You won't get as good a range as a traditional flash and you'll lose a lot of detail (particularly on the sign as bright surfaces tend to get washed out) but I don't see any other sure-fire method.