Defeat Padlocks with pair of Wrenches?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Xanatos

Defeat Padlocks with pair of Wrenches?

Post by Xanatos » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:09 pm

This video popped up in my feed recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jJP0CcuJyE

I'm sceptical about the quality of the locks used in that video, not sure this method would work too well with your traditional gold/brass-coloured padlocks. Anyone got a pair of wrenches and some spare padlocks to give this a try?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NewbieNinja

Re: Defeat Padlocks with pair of Wrenches?

Post by NewbieNinja » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:07 am

That lock in the video looks plastic.... :/
Gonna look for a lock N 2 wrenches. Very doubtful though

Someone

Post by Someone » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:40 pm

Well, I've tried it on a brass padlock and it works great !
Actually, you don't need too much force to break it, which is surprising.
My padlock was kind of a cheapo but it had quite a decent size, so I think it would work on Abus padlocks too.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Found an old padlock in the laundry - grey metal one with a brass "F.H.P" plate on it. Pretty heavy and of a decent size, also has "HARDENED" engraved on the shackle. If I can find a pair of suitable wrenches I'll give this a try.

Will post results.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:24 am

I got curious and tried my hand at this too. I used an older hardened Masterlock and two 19mm wrenches. I didn't succeed, but the force produced was actually surprisingly impressive. I tried it on a cheaper padlock I had no key for and ended up busting through the side after warping the shackle a great deal. If I had better purchase on the masterlock shackle, perhaps with a speed wrench, and some kind of cheater bars I bet I could bust the masterlock open.

The real problem is real world application. The lock will typically be on a hasp in a way that gives you far less room to slip wrenches in, if it's even a lock that has excess space in the shackle at all. Plus as I found, for a really tough lock you need tons of leverage. I'd rather just carry bolt cutters. Still, it's cool to know another method of skinning a cat.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Someone

Post by Someone » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Yeah, I think it works best on brass padlocks.

CookieThief

Post by CookieThief » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:35 am

Still prefer shims or just raking the padlock. Again most pad locks are very easy to bypass, this is a less effective alternative. Interesting though ,could be useful in a pinch.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:02 am

I've always had trouble picking padlocks, especially the smaller ones where my pins can't even fit in the lock. This seems like just the trick to bypass them.