Hard knuckle gloves?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
NewbieNinja

Hard knuckle gloves?

Post by NewbieNinja » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 am

I keep seeing hard knuckle gloves online kinda like these :
http://tacticalgear.com/oakley-si-tacti ... oves-black

Are the hard knuckles really useful for NOP/ black op? They have a tendency to cost more than other gloves.
I heard that they protect knuckles from bumping into objects (not punching someone).

But I wonder if they'd make a loud noise when bumped into something.... Like a "thud!" Or something like that.
My opinion right now is that they aren't necessary, but they look rly cool!!

What R ur guy's thoughts?

Illusion

Re: Hard knuckle gloves?

Post by Illusion » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:54 am

It may be worth looking for "NI Gloves" - which were issued to the British Army during The Troubles - they have padded knuckles and not the hard shell. In theory, this should prevent any noise and you can also pick them up pretty damn cheap. Alternatively, if you do prefer the look of a hard shell over the knuckles - perhaps look at motorcycle gloves?

Gloves are definitely important - I've often hurt my palms; to the point I began using weightlifting gloves. This changed a few years ago (4 or 5?) when a good friend of mine cut his finger up pretty badly climbing over a fence to access a railway tunnel. I think there's even a few photos of a bloodied first aid kit on these forums from that night. Hand protection is pretty under-rated at times.

I can't say I've ever really hurt my knuckles out and about, but I'd probably feel a tad safer with knuckle protection at times. I may pick up a similar pair myself at some point, from a self defence point of view I'm very much reliant on using a torch/laser pointer as an improvised kubaton - so that's an issue I worry about with gloves, and not having enough grip. However that's not a big issue if you have knuckle protection as a back-up.
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:59 am

I have a pair (you can see them in my Top-to-Bottom op video) and they pose no restrictions on movement nor do they make any noise. The knuckles themselves are made of a sort of rubbery plastic, meaning they won't scrape very loudly like a water bottle or something. The added protection is a great comfort, I use them for construction sites and other areas where I might need to wedge my hands into something rough.

As for punching someone, like I said the knuckles aren't made of very hard material, but they'll work like a boxing glove in protecting your knuckles from damage when hitting someone. So if you do need to Jackie Chan some sucker in the jaw you won't have to worry about any of his teeth getting lodged in your fist.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Zip Guns, Grappling Hooks & Hard Knuckle Gloves... I thing you're turning NewbieMallNinja.

That said, I don't see all too much value for hard knuckle gloves, or any heavier gloves along those lines. Even when It's freezing outside, I prefer something thin and flexible.
I've never had the problem where I put my hands to "fast use", i.e. doing handstands on gravel and fighting off attackers with my bare hands. It's a hell of an advantage to not have to reach for a weapon, but to have it on you without impediment, but some crevices and cracks are only accessible when you have the least amount of garments on your hands.

Picking locks or doing any fine tasks with heavy gloves on doesn't fly too well. Climbing slowly requires a lot of feeling in your hands. Ever felt the difference in your grip strength when you did pullups with a towel on the bar? By that principle, unless the gloves are coated in superglue, it makes it a bit harder.
Speaking of fine tasks, reaching for gear is a cumbersome task in thick gloves. Reaching into pockets is hard (getting the glove in), and then feeling for the item? Small items will elude your grasp like Cosby avoids his lawsuits. When hanging off a wall or a bar, it feels like you have sufficient 'feeling' in your hands - perhaps, comparable to not wearing any. That's because there's the weight of a human body hanging off the gloves, pressing them pretty hard against your skin. That doesn't happen with small items. Anything less than a few pounds or a kg will be hard to handle in tactical knuckle gloves. Lockpicks, shims, binoculars, electronics...
If you need heavier gloves, e.g. for rappelling, keep them separately in your gear and use them when needed, if you have the luxury of time.
That's why I always wear thin gloves for most of my ops. I bought myself a good pair of Kevlar gloves, thinking I'd need them for climbing over fences and barbed wire. Perhaps sifting through broken glass? Never happened. Barbed wire is easy to get past by simply climbing, you can do it naked. Depending on the fence, by all means - if you need Kevlar gloves to be able to climb it, you need Kevlar everything to keep you from looking like a 110 pound kid who got molested by Ice Cube when he's angry. As in, messed up.
This is my experience, I'm very sure that most others find a lot of uses for gloves that withstand more of a beating.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:55 am

Lynx wrote:Zip Guns, Grappling Hooks & Hard Knuckle Gloves... I thing you're turning NewbieMallNinja.

Yikes!!! Haha
Wait a sec... Aren't we all ninjas here? ;)

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:57 am

Xanatos wrote: So if you do need to Jackie Chan some sucker in the jaw you won't have to worry about any of his teeth getting lodged in your fist.

This made me lol
:D

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:24 am

Lynx, I really like the idea of using two sets of gloves! Thx!!

I'm currently using Brigade QM's Nomex gloves
http://www.brigadeqm.com/GS-FRP-2-Nomex ... p/nfg2.htm

I got them mainly cuz of their dexterity. They're also fire resistant, but hopefully I won't be needing that feature anytime soon.... Lol

I was concerned about tearing them up, as they aren't that durable. (Which led me to browse for other gloves lol.) It seems like theres a tradeoff between dexterity and durability with gloves.

What I'm thinking of now is using my leather work gloves for the tuff stuff. These are pretty much the opposite of my Nomex ones. They're tough and have basically no dexterity. And they're cheap too, 3 for $20. (Costco thing)

Dang I wish I thought of this idea lol. I'm sure glad to have come to u guys for tips. Just saved like $50-$70!
Thx guys!