Recommended camo

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
NewbieNinja

Recommended camo

Post by NewbieNinja » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:16 am

Just curious what kind of camo you guys recommend/are currently using.

Or if u guys use black, then just put black lol.

I currently got a multicam Jacket and pants. No experience using it though.
Wondering if there's better camo out there. Not sure if I'm gonna spend $$ on a multicam backpack and other gear though.... Cuz I just splurged $$ on black stuff.

CookieThief

Re: Recommended camo

Post by CookieThief » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:04 am

Black or dark grey matching sweats for low risk ops and BDUs of the same for higher risk . I don't use camo, much I mostly look like a night jogger unless I have a mask and gloves on. If the AO is in nature I roll around in the dirt and pat myself down, its not as good as hunting camo but it does help.
The world is dark until your eyes adjust.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:38 am

There is no "singular best camo" out there unless you develop a fully-functioning form of active camouflage. I've got a set of multicam, A-TACS Arid, a custom camo set for more lush vegetation and standard blacks (got my eye on some Kryptek patterns but those are hard to come by). Different suits for different occasions.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:24 pm

Omg! How could I forget atacs?! That's another one that caught my eye when it came out.... 2011?
If only money wasn't an issue, I'd luv to get em all!

The kryptek series looks rly cool. One of em looks a bit like a blurry multicam.

http://cqbradio.blogspot.com/2013/10/kr ... m.html?m=1

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Dang.... I just realized kryptek came out about 2013. And I've only known about it recently....

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Came out 2013 and still so hard to get. C'mon, where's mah Typhon!

Also, on the subject of camouflage, if you have multiple sets I think it'll help break up your outline more if you mix patterns up. Wear a Multicam top with A-TACS trousers, for instance. At a distance, instead of seeing a humanoid figure of a uniform texture you're seeing two unrelated textures clash instead of a recognisable silhouette. It'll also resolve any dilemmas in deciding which camo to wear - a few ops had me picking between several sets of camo depending on where in the AO I was traversing and in what method. Walking or crouch-walking works best when I'm wearing something more green to blend in with the living vegetation, but crawling on the ground my A-TACS helps me blend in better with the dead leaves. Having a Multicam top with A-TACS trousers would help solve this dilemma; having the Multicam blend in with the higher vegetation and A-TACS trousers transitioning nicely into the twigs & leaves below.

The concept needs more testing to verify effectiveness, but it makes sense in theory.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:22 am

Hard to recommend a pattern really, just whatever blends in with your environment the best.

Multicam blends in the best around here and most environments I find myself in during ops. I have Kryptek Highlander as well that works really nicely outside of the woodlands and a HECS stealth screen in Mossy Oak that accels in the forests. Frankly, a lot of this is "just because". The stated reason for most upgrades in the military is improved IR performance but none of them are particularly impressive and reflect IR as nearly a solid color most of the time. Older, cheaper patterns will do just as well if they blend in.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

NewbieNinja

Post by NewbieNinja » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:12 am

So I just caved in and bought multicam stuff.... Feeling a bit of buyer's remorse...
I think what's gonna happen is that I'll end up using multicam exclusively and black is gonna collect dust....

But ah well.... You only live once, right? Might as well have some fun. :wink:

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:48 am

You have to be able to blend with the environment and be able to adapt. If operating in a mostly rural environment, I like the digital marine camo as it blends well in Pa where I live. At night, it continues to blend in well in brush and woods. Some people think they need to switch to black at night but camo works well even at night in any brush. If transitioning from rural to urban, then dark solids are more appropriate and can either be carried with you or worn underneath. Another option is to wear a camo poncho overtop of dark solids - kind of like having a camo cape that helps break up your silhouette of a human form
Attachments
Marpat-Digital-Camo-Poncho.jpg
Marine Digital camo about 30 bucks and it keeps the rain off
Marpat-Digital-Camo-Poncho.jpg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 13473 times

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:37 am

That was the idea behind my camo veil, as a portable means of cover & concealment for either when there is none (such as crossing an open field) or for transitional environments like you pointed out. The advantage of using scrim netting is that you still have decent visibility even when your head is covered and it provides the same level of concealment as a traditional ghillie suit but with none of the weight.