Masks?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Pontifleviticus

Masks?

Post by Pontifleviticus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:39 pm

Anyone wear a mask when Oping? I can see both positives and negatives to wearing one and its heavily dependent on the nature of the op itself.

Anyway post your masks and opinions on masks.

Xanatos

Re: Masks?

Post by Xanatos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Masks as in a general form of head covering to conceal one's identity or are you talking specifically about masks related to breathing? Gas masks, painter's masks, etc?

If it's the former, a face covering of some kind should be mandatory for night ops, not only to better hide your face in the dark (if you have paler skin) but on the off chance you do get spotted you won't be able to be identified.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Pontifleviticus

Post by Pontifleviticus » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:52 pm

I was thinking as a general form of consealment or for a specific use (such as keeping the face warm in cold or wind) But I see no reason to exclude gas masks and resps from the discussion.

While I agree masks are probably a rule of thumb they could be more of a hindrance in situations such as infiltrating live buildings or if the only mask you have impairs your vision. Id argue a good "mask" alternative is a hat and sunglasses. A bandana works in a snap but I am partial to the head wraps such as ninja or shemagh (spelling?).

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:56 am

If you're infiltrating a "live building" (a building with active occupants, I assume?) then a proper face covering is even more important. You seem to be working from more of a social engineering angle of 'blending in' during the day, which lies outside of the realm of night ops. Night ops is about pure stealth at - you guessed it - night time, where a hat & sunglasses would be more of a hindrance than a benefit. And there's really no excuse to not having a mask for night ops. Got a pair of bandannas? Congratulations, you have a mask. Got a dark t-shirt? Congratulations, you have another mask. Got an old scarf/towel/large piece of cloth lying around? Congratulations, you have yet another mask to choose from. It's quite easy to improvise a total head covering that doesn't impair your vision of hearing at all.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:31 am

Masks are standard gear for me, I'd never be out without one.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Enfaded1990

Post by Enfaded1990 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Definitely love to wear a mask when operating on sensitive operations, usually a balaclava , however a well tied bandanna and hoodie always does the trick!

AkioSoao

Post by AkioSoao » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:15 pm

I have like a neck sleeve thing. It can easily go over your mouth and nose, or right over your ears and it comes up just below the eyes.
It is made of merino wool so it doesn't get sweaty even if you are sprinting with it on. Under heavy exertion, it makes it harder to get air,
but that is just good cardio training.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:11 am

'Neck gaiter' is what you're thinking of. They're mighty handy, I'll tell you that.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:31 am

I have worn the standard ninja mask but am unhappy with it's limitations. One of the best features of two bandannas is that there is no loss of peripheral vision. Most balaclavas interfere with peripheral vision because the eye slit is too small. If you use a ninja balaclava mask I recommend widening the eye opening. Another thing that I do is cut out ear holes so as not to limit hearing. Here again is why the two bandannas is more practical. Lastly, two bandannas found in your pocket , even though they are black, is less incriminating as a ninja hood.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:53 pm

Your standard 3-hole acrylic balaclava works well for the most part. Warm during the winter, breathable during the summer. Less of your face exposed to light. Unless you're black, in which case wear anything or nothing.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:18 pm

I went ahead and got a nice neoprene balaclava with small breathing holes, the eye slit offers plenty of room that does not impair my vision. Valid point on a three-hole covering more skin surface, but I feel like the center piece between the eyes would drive me crazy.
Stay in the shadows.