Magnetic Field Viewer Film

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Someone

Magnetic Field Viewer Film

Post by Someone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:22 pm

Does anyone have ever heard of magnetic field viewer film ?
It basically a thin piece of plastic of around 2 inches by 2 inches, it's flexible and it allows you to view magnetic fields even if they are behind surfaces (not too far away).
I thought this might be interesting to try it on a magnetic door alarm, it would be much quicker than the compass method.
I think I'll buy it to test its capabilities.
If you guys have ever tried it, let me know how well it performs :)

PS : Sorry for my bad English :D

Xanatos

Re: Magnetic Field Viewer Film

Post by Xanatos » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:28 pm

First time I've heard of it. Where do you even get it? They don't seem to stock it at my local Walmart.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Someone

Post by Someone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:33 pm

I think you can get it only from Ebay, there is actually some good Chinese suppliers of this thing on Ebay, so you can get it for less than 9 bucks a sheet, I think.
It's not super cheap but still it seems to be great. If you go on Youtube, I'm sure you can find demos of it working :)

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:03 pm

Here's a good demonstration (as far as I've seen).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slVL5nbTXd4

First concern would be practicality. For detecting magnetic switches, or any smaller magnets around entrances, a compass would seem more practical - it's easier to see and read off.
But for each purpose it's own tool, I suppose magnetic viewer film would be really handy in some situation. I wouldn't carry it on me regularly though.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:33 am

Yeah, I'd say a compass would be more practical for magnetic door alarms. Still, neat bit of kit to have around for other applications.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Someone

Post by Someone » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:55 pm

Thank you guys for your replies :-)

noone

Post by noone » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:55 am

Looks like a neat thing, but from the video it seems like it might not be sensitive enough to detect magnetic door alarms, not to mention the fact that it'd be fairly harder to see one on this thing in the dark than on a compass (unless you can convince them to coat the little bits of metal with fluorescent paint, but that still leaves the sensitivity issue).

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:33 pm

Some compasses have tritium markings on them too, allowing you to read them in pitch black without a light source.

Someone

Post by Someone » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:48 pm

Wow I didn't know that kind of compass exist !
That's interesting :)