Unusual gears

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Shade

Unusual gears

Post by Shade » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:45 pm

So something I'd like to know is cool/handy-dandy gadgets you guys use or have seen that aren't exactly cookie cutters(must haves).

Something I'll start off with is a handcuff-shim http://www.trueswords.com/handcuff-shim ... -6440.html
The way this shim works is you can keep it in your back pocket or clip it to the back of your belt, and if worst meets worst you can unlock handcuffs with it for a surprise getaway. It's tiny, hard to see, and weighs very very little. (like a paper clip) I understand nobody who ops well will need this, but it's better safe than sorry.

My favorite distraction gadget is a kid's firework known as pop snaps http://www.amazon.com/Purim-Snaps%C2%A9 ... B004ZSZNXM
These are little paper bags with sand or gravel and gunpowder in them. You can take a couple and throw them at a hard surface and they'll make a little snap, for lack of a better word. The thing that's amazing about them though, is it isn't really alerting. If you threw a whole firecracker or glass bottle, whoever hears it will be looking for you. These are loud enough to make people check it out without scaring them.

So, what do you guys have? I'll update more if you guys are interested.

Xanatos

Re: Unusual gears

Post by Xanatos » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:36 am

That shim only works on single-lock handcuffs. LE handcuffs are usually double-lock. And those poppers only work when you throw them really hard at your feet; if you try throwing them any great distance they lose momentum and won't pop. Great for drawing attention to yourself, but not much else.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:26 am

You ain't throwing hard enough.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Shade

Post by Shade » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:22 pm

You could probably use a slingshot if you need to throw it farther than 50 feet.

Another useful gear is a flashlight taser http://www.budk.com/product/Cheetah-10- ... 176938.uts
Hopefully you won't need a flashlight on an op, but there are a lot of times where nobody's gonna see you and you need to inspect something closer. Now, the taser. It's 10,000,000 volt, so if you need to use it it should keep your opponent down for quite a few minutes. Best of all, if you get caught and have your gear searched, they probably won't look twice at your flashlight.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:43 pm

Damn, that looks useful. And that's cheap as hell too. I wonder if I can still attach a red filter to it, if I get one...

Shade

Post by Shade » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Oh yeah. I just found one less sharp, 3x as powerful, and like 60% cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ATVI2K0/ref ... 3QMEM4H3ZE
A red lens could be added fairly easily with some sanding and some tape. :P

Shade

Post by Shade » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:24 pm

Today I found this http://www.amazon.com/Brite-Strike-RID- ... =flashbang

"Tactical balls". I'm already happy with my balls, but these are cool too. XD

Basically it's a waterproof deploying flashlight that's really bright and wobbles around. It's perfect for a visual distraction, and that's what it's made for.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:56 am

Those could be useful, although not for their intended purpose.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:00 pm

What would you use them for?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:15 pm

Illuminating a space evenly, such as in an abandoned house or drainage tunnel. It'd make it easier to explore tunnels and the like since you can throw them ahead of you; they're basically like really bright glowsticks. Obviously for ops more in line with urban exploration rather than night ops, since the amount of light would be easily noticeable.

Oh, and make sure to throw some bolts ahead of you as well for spotting anomalies.

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Yeah, that's what people tend to use em for. XD Still, just a generally handy dandy gadget. Do you know of/use unusual gadgets?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:53 pm

Nothing springs to mind.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Well, flash grenade. Unusual and probably never used.
Jesus christ that will destroy anyone's night vision, and probably seriously confuse any pursuers. I've tried something like it on myself. Spent 20 minutes in the woods at night, then took a powerful LED flashlight and flashed myself in the eyes.
For a good 15 seconds I couldn't see jack shit. At all. Imagine what a flash grenade would do...

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Yeah, stealththief's guide gave me the idea of stuff like that to screw with a guard's vision.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Shade wrote:Yeah, stealththief's guide gave me the idea of stuff like that to screw with a guard's vision.
Whut? He has a guide? I skimmed through his posts before, probably inattentively. Got a link?

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:14 pm

He is normally known as urban nokizaru, no idea why he's stealththief here. http://nightops.net/doc/mov_stealth/Ste ... kizaru.pdf

Do you have any idea where he went? It doesn't say he's done a thing since like 2011.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:20 am

Last I heard from him, which was several years ago, he was living in Montreal, Canada and was attempting to start up his own ryu of ninjutsu. He fell completely off the grid shortly thereafter. It's a shame, because he was a good friend on here and really would have enjoyed NOPCON.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:52 pm

Welcome back!

Now onto unusual gear. I'm working on upgrading my LBV, and I'm thinking of adding a shotgun scabbard to the back to act as something to carry bolt cutters.
Thing is, most bolt cutters have wide handles, and aren't super long. The scabbard is about 74cm long. Which is a lot for a bolt cutter.

Here's what it looks like:

I always carry wire cutters/pliers with me in a smaller pouch, but I need something with more bite. Is having a scabbard like that a good idea? Any alternative uses, other than having a shotgun there?
Will it make me look more operator?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:24 am

That's not a bad way of carrying them, provided you can strap it down to reduce noise as much as possible. It may make you look a little too operator though - someone might mistake it for a firearm and open fire.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Yep, that's a risk... But the area of operations with my vest is quite different. In my vest, I am usual innawoods or close by, where I know I'm mostly alone, except for target building. Anyone wanting to find me off the bat would have a hell of a time getting through.
The scabbard has full MOLLE attachment, too, so it wouldn't flail around.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:36 am

On the idea of firecrackers, I've never actually employed them but instead of the throwing poppers, the ones with the strings you pull instead would make great door alarms for you to place quickly after entry to make sure nobody follows you in. It's just a quick thought I'm not thinking TOO hard into, but I'm envisioning a method of quick deployment and subsequent retrieval. Use would be very situational as there's a risk of leaving behind evidence if you have to evade in another direction and can't recover alarms. Shouldn't be too hard to place on a trip wire system either if the situation warranted.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 am

How about a non-contact voltage detector? They can be invaluable when you're scouting for alarms, or checking to see if an old building still has power running to it. Yoi can even get them with "silent" modes that make no noise when they detect electricity.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:47 am

You can usually improvise door alarms out of whatever's available - some cans and a piece of string will do. Position the cans in an elevated place and have the tripwire stretched across the doorjamb above eye level. Someone opens the door, trips the wire, knocks the cans down which produce a lot of noise in the dead of night, gives you opportunity to escape.

Shade

Post by Shade » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:34 pm

If you want a reliable door alarm and have time/money, you could easily rewire a smoke alarm to set off when a thin cord is removed. It'll scare the daylights out of whoever opened the door (including police) and you'll hear it from across the house.

Illusion

Post by Illusion » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:10 am

Shade wrote:If you want a reliable door alarm and have time/money, you could easily rewire a smoke alarm to set off when a thin cord is removed. It'll scare the daylights out of whoever opened the door (including police) and you'll hear it from across the house.
Rape alarms often have pull-string mechanisms for setting them off - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minder-PAL003-P ... B008VT0L4W - and have keyrings attached. Using a lanyard and two karabiners you can alarm a lot of things using these.

Not to mention as Psy mentions above, party poppers with the pull string are cheap and disposable and can be used in a similar fashion.
Shade wrote:You could probably use a slingshot if you need to throw it farther than 50 feet.

Another useful gear is a flashlight taser http://www.budk.com/product/Cheetah-10- ... 176938.uts
Hopefully you won't need a flashlight on an op, but there are a lot of times where nobody's gonna see you and you need to inspect something closer. Now, the taser. It's 10,000,000 volt, so if you need to use it it should keep your opponent down for quite a few minutes. Best of all, if you get caught and have your gear searched, they probably won't look twice at your flashlight.
Funnily enough, I caught a discussion today that suggests that these will also let you fry your way through some electrical entry systems too: https://www.reddit.com/r/lockpicking/co ... lly_works/
"I'm not worried about this because I am too strong, too good, too intelligent, but I want to say to the others 'don't follow the stupid'."

Giraffe

Post by Giraffe » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:01 am

Illusion wrote: Rape alarms often have pull-string mechanisms for setting them off - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minder-PAL003-P ... B008VT0L4W - and have keyrings attached. Using a lanyard and two karabiners you can alarm a lot of things using these.
Haha,, I have one of those. Another potential use of that is as a sound grenade of sorts. Pull the pin and chuck it, and you have a fucking deafening noise. It would make a good distraction, and would cover any sound you made.

wfff024

Post by wfff024 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:26 pm

http://gearward.com/collections/frontpa ... s/a-k-band Anti-kidnapping watch kit! WATCH NOT INCLUDED!!!!
-"The Anti-Kidnapping Band is designed to allow you to carry escape tools in your watch band. It's a wearable insurance policy for military personnel, foreign aid workers, and journalists in conflict zones, as well as for travelers in countries with a high risk of kidnapping for ransom."
-"The A-K Band allows the wearer to escape from rope, duct tape, zip ties, and handcuffs."
This is actually very cool although maybe not nightops

http://gearward.com/collections/frontpa ... cape-knife you can also just get a ceramic knife you can slip into little spots on your clothing.

http://gearward.com/collections/frontpa ... flashlight Watch with a small led attached to it. LMAO product image has a guy picking a lock with it!

Or maybe get one with a giant light on it http://www.surefire.com/illumination/wr ... light.html These wrist light things look pretty neat, I'd like some feedback on what you guys think! :-------------)))) would be fun for blinding people--- also i hate carrying things in my pocket

ALSO FIRST POST IN AWHILE,,,,, I LOVE THIS THREAD!!!! I LOVE NIGHTOPS
Fear is a reflex. Courage is a choice.

fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:40 pm

That is some stuff you're talking... I hope I'll never need to defend myself, especially not against cops, but you guys are actually prepared to assault cops/guards in order to get away? That brings a question to mind though, did you ever have to?
Myself, I'm not ready. For my first 'baby steps' op my plan for civilians is the ol' sneaking, but if there's cops I'm gonna stuff the gear in my pockets and deny everything. I'm not doing anything illegal yet, so I can't be charged. I suppose if I do ever get into more... Ehm... Unscrupulous activities, I'd best make sure I'm ready to resist arrest as well.

For now though, let's keep the ops low-risk and be sure I can get away with plausible deniability :)
Yesterday, upon the stair
I met a man, who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish, he'd go away

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:14 am

Some of those gadgets look pretty neat, actually. Wouldn't mind some for myself. That luminous watch with the LED on it would be pretty good for NO actually.

Too bad they're sold out though.

Shade

Post by Shade » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:22 pm

Woops, forgot about this thread. XD I actually got some sick new gears, some weird.

A little less weird, my little brother got me a camo knife. It won't glare much in light, so as long as I don't drop it it's handy.

I got a portable lamp, which is amazing for picking locks without a flashlight in your mouth

Next, I got this weird pen-screwdriver. Good if you want to be subtle, or plan to get caught, but it works great in general.

I actually got a taserlight, but it isn't a subtle one.. It works great as a light or taser, but that's it's down fall. It isn't both at the same time.

EDIT: Sorry, my phone flipped the photos upside down. XD Just tilt your head and pretend it worked.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Shade on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:29 pm

I've been considering getting one of those collapsible lanterns. What's the range on them though? Like, in a pitch-black area, how far can you see in front of you?

Shade

Post by Shade » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:34 pm

It's LED, so not too powerful, but I don't want to illuminate a whole house with it.

If you put it in any normal room, it will let you see clearly enough to do whatever op stuff you do, but it will leave dark corners. I'd whole heartedly recommend it if you're going somewhere abandoned.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:38 pm

That's the idea. I'd like one for exploring vast, cavernous spaces so I get 360 degree clarity without having to flick my flashlight all over the place. Also lets me set it down on the floor somewhere while I focus on something else with my hands.

Shade

Post by Shade » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:42 pm

I've brought it camping, and it was handy enough people kept trying to steal it. XD I'd say go for it, they're pretty cheap. Do keep it tight, though. It unfolded in my pocket a couple times.

How 'bout I go opping and get a couple no-flash photos of it in action?

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:45 pm

Yeah, that'll work.

Shade

Post by Shade » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:47 pm

Alright, I'll stop on my way home from work and go to this awesome dark hill nearby.

Shade

Post by Shade » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Alright, the photo is a bit unclear, I'll work on getting it up though.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:43 pm

...well? Where's the photo?

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:36 pm

Sorry, our internet was screwing with us. Here:
Attachments
image.jpg

Shade

Post by Shade » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:38 pm

So thr photo doesn't really show how far the light goes, but you can tell around how bright it is and estimate from there.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:41 pm

I think I get the gist. Ordered two lanterns myself (this one and this one) so I'll soon see for myself.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:59 pm

Lanterns finally came in, and damn they're powerful for what they're worth. The little collapsible round one can light up virtually any average-sized room with ease and the longer tubular one can light up my whole backyard as bright as day. Far more light than I'd reasonably need on an op, but it has two dimmer settings to cycle through. And I think that's my biggest gripe with these lanterns; both have strobe modes on a cyclic switch meaning you can't just turn them on & off so easily without having to cycle through all the different modes. The collapsible one only has one standard and one strobe mode so that's easy enough, but the long tubular one has 3 brightness settings (100%, 50% and 25% luminosity) a rapid strobe setting and a slower strobe setting that you have to cycle through entirely to switch it off.

On the plus side they were quite cheap (although took an eternity and a half to arrive) and are very small & lightweight (the collapsible one folds down into a 2.5x1.5 inch disc and the tubular one is a measly 7.9 inches in length). I also noticed that the tubular one only shines light from one half of its surface lengthways - the other half is a completely opaque metal cover, meaning the light isn't shining directly into your eyes. While the collapsible one is notably dimmer I still got night blinded a lot more by it because of its 360° luminosity - I had to carry it such a way that my hand/arm would be between my eyes and it. The smaller one is also a lot noisier to deploy, as extending its plastic, accordion-like cover generates a loud ripping/rapping sound. However if I'm exploring a small, enclosed space I can just set it down in the middle of the area and work hands-free. The tubular one offers a similar liberty, although would be more effective propped up in the corner of a room instead of the middle.

The little one runs on 3 AAAs while the tubular one recharges via a USB cable. Can't put songs on it though.

Shade

Post by Shade » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:42 pm

Yeah, it should have different buttons. XD

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon May 30, 2016 7:34 am

What's the rope for? Seems like an awful lot of bulk to be pressed under the wrist, might be better to wear a separate paracord bracelet.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon May 30, 2016 11:44 am

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't know kevlar was that tough.