Any interest in a powerful GPS/Google Map combo for <100USD?

Tools and equipment to get the job done.

Would you have need of a powerful, low cost GPS electronic device?

Yes
90%
No
No votes
Fuck Frogs
10%

Total votes: 10

Psychlonic

Any interest in a powerful GPS/Google Map combo for <100USD?

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:28 am

Just wondering if anyone here thinks it's worth putting together a guide to assemble a cheap but very powerful GPS unit with multiple functions and even Google Earth. The system wouldn't be traceable nor rely on cellular service making it secure. The entire thing could be assembled for under $100. For operators like me it's useful because of having to travel vast expanses and the possibility of having to leave establishes routes in E&E, but I don't know if anyone else wants the liability of such a gadget. I thought of it last night and it would be very easy to assemble the parts, inexpensive, and lightweight. The system could be mounted on the forearm and would have an automatic LED off feature.

Asking because it will take some time to explain how to do this. Just me know if it's something you'd use.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Ghost

Re: Any interest in a powerful GPS/Google Map combo for <100

Post by Ghost » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:21 am

I would certainly be interested in such a device, provided it could be made water/frog piss resistant.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:07 am

I'll do a write up as soon as I can. I'm going to build the device here on my end too so I think I can include step by step photos. It won't require any special skills, just parts hunting and I'll even explain where and how to find what you need. The hardware pieces together fine and you just do some firmware updating via USB. You'll dig it lol. You can use it for much more than just night ops as well if you want, so the money isn't solely going toward ops.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:56 pm

This would be amazing to have, yes. You can't go wrong with something like that on your forearm.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Absent

Post by Absent » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 am

Pretty much what everyone else is saying, that would be awesome.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:13 am

Definitely something that would come in handy for some targets I've wanted to check out, but can't get to due to rough terrain.

If only we had one of these at Dundas.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Rex

Post by Rex » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:14 am

I can think of many uses for such a tool.
If it is not traceable and uses Google earth you can count me in for (an attempt at) the build.
I need a good GPS and the price sounds right.
Let's face it. We aren't getting any younger, and nighttime ops never gets old.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:08 am

Stay tuned, guys. I'm in the process of testing the system. It's easy to build, you don't need 1337 skills for this. Or any. If you can plug shit into a wall outlet you can probably handle this. Shopping savvy is the biggest asset and I'll cover that for you guys.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:21 am

Can't wait for results.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:43 pm

The worst kind of cliffhanger.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am

I'm still here, just haven't had time to do a proper field test for the system yet. If the delays continue I'll do a quick version but it won't include all the ideas to make it the best asset at night. This hasn't been abandoned by any means.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:50 am

Fast tracking this for this weekend. Keep an eye out, I'll have something here by Sunday night. Promise.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:06 pm

I'm like a kid the night before Christmas now.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Well, be on the lookout for St. Ninjalous. Provided he doesn't chloroform you first.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Ho ho ho.

Alright guys, prepare for some WTF moments and bear with me.

So the foundation of this particular project is none other than the Sony PSP. It is the perfect candidate for this task because the slims are lightweight enough plus have massive value for the price you pay. You can find these on ebay with some scouting around for 40usd or less. Don't worry about ones with flaws such as missing analog stick, you don't really need that and you might save $10 without it. Nomenclature for the PSPs are 1000/1001 being the original "fat" PSP, 2000/2001 being the first slim, and 3000/3001 being the revised slim packing more memory and higher resolution screen. The latter is the most ideal with the fat being least, but any will work.

Your second necessity is the PSP GPS receiver. Nomenclature PSP-290. This is a Japanese part but works in any region PSP. Example:

Code: Select all

http://www.amazon.com/PSP-GPS-Receiver-Sony/dp/B000JDSBN6
You can find these for $30 or less pretty easily. I picked up mine for ~$25.

Right, so now your PSP can be used as a GPS device but you're going to need software first. If you don't already have one included with your PSP purchase, you need a USB cable to connect to a PC to modify your system and download needed software.

Now you need MapThis mapping software, found here:

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/mapthis-0-5-20-with-holux-support-for-slim-psps-79825.html
Here is the installation guide to help you out, since the next steps will depend entirely on your firmware.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!/Installation_and_setup
There is also the option of custom firmware. An example:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070622160357/dark-alex.org/index.php?Dark_Alex=firm
Secondary reading material:

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?topic=2950.0
Here is a back up source of the PC tool for downloading maps you'll want for your PSP:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/90i8iu
And so by now, you should get the idea. You download maps as needed onto your PSP, effectively caching them and when you run Map This! it will bring up these maps with your position on them shown via GPS. It doesn't have the name per se, but it's functionally Google Earth with no connectivity needed in the field.

Now I mentioned functions like LED off. The PSP firmware can adjust the timeout needed for the backlight to turn off. This can be a very short time and I would recommend using the lowest number possible both to help ensure you don't give yourself away but also to preserve the battery life. I would also recommend downloading a dark background/theme for your PSP so that if you need to access your dash it shows the least amount of light possible while it's on.
This system can be carried in the pocket or you should easily be able to use a solution such as a buttoned clamshell that straps to your forearm and can be closed to more immediately hide the backlight. It can also be used to hide the backlight from a distance by viewing with it up. As a bonus you can also operate the PSP inside of a watertight bag if wanted so rain won't cause you any problems.

A final recommendation I might add would be to purchase a bigger battery pack for the slim models to extend lifespan in the field. This is also quite cheap online. The whole system should cost you less than $100 easily. You can also buy GPS cables that will let you run your GPS receiver farther away from the PSP instead of having it come out of the top if you want. Further, there are other peripherals available such as a camera system should you decide you want to take some pictures. In addition, we also know the PSP can connect to the internet ONLY when you want to so it can be used to take advantage of hot spots.

I think it's a fantastic piece of field kit in closing with lots of ideas I still haven't explored and I'm sure some of you will think of even more. You can probably even use a cable to extend the camera function to peek around corners, up in high places, etc. without sticking your face there. All of these things that can fit into a pocket.

I apologize for the abrasiveness of this write-up, but time has been short and in writing I realized that the model of PSP and firmware will make it difficult to do a definitive write up. If there are any problems please post them and we'll try to work them out.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:53 am

It... it's really that simple? Have you tried this yourself? Seems like this is a start for a true DIY OPSAT. Discount Sam Fishers everywhere would be proud.

I wonder what's next - probably making NVGs out of a Fisher Price keyboard.

Psychlonic

Post by Psychlonic » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:49 am

It's that simple. I had mine up and running and was using it in my car for laughs as a navigator plus used it for my tunes too. Took it on a few camping trips to try out the maps in unknown terrain and some goofing around at night, but I haven't actually taken it out on an operation yet. Haven't needed it so far.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 am

Well, that's good to know. You should put this into a PDF format and add it to the Library. This info is invaluable.