Layering Up For Winter

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Psychlonic

Layering Up For Winter

Post by Psychlonic » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:32 am

With the majority of users here currently dealing with the fun and joy of a cold winter, it's easy to just want to settle down inside near heat. Night ops aren't even in the back of the mind at times like this, but in fact this can be optimal weather for night ops provided you have the right clothing.

The key here is to select clothing that isn't going to add more bulk than is necessary. Close fitting layers that trap just enough air while keeping you mobile.

Your expenses here don't need to be high. I keep to a pretty cheap formula that keeps me warm in temperatures down to -10F. Basically I use surplus thin polypro undergarments over top knock off underarmor, and then if need be I can layer the thicker polypros over the top of all of this - this is almost never needed. Then I simply wear whatever clothing I'd wear in warm weather over the top, making me feel unrestricted but warm and feeling like it's just another night instead of freezing ass cold.

It sounds basic, but if you're miserable about the cold give it a try. Basically, get knock off underarmor as your base layer and then any cheap undergarments that are good at keeping you warm. I love wool in general, but for night ops I'd stay away. It's too heavy and you'll feel restricted. Stick to synthetics, but it doesn't need to be surplus. Standard wear over the top and you're set.

Also, I like to wear thin, form fitting gloves as a standard below thicker insulated gloves of any sort. The thicker gloves (we're not talking big snow mitts here) give me enough dexterity to problem solve through terrain and I can temporarily remove the thicker gloves when more dexterity is needed.

Thrift shops, junk stores, salvation army, and big name superstores will carry what you need all for a price accessible to anyone on this forum.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.

Xanatos

Re: Layering Up For Winter

Post by Xanatos » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:18 am

Bamboo fibre is a decent alternative to polypropylene. A few guys I work out with wear bamboo fibre thermals and not only do they suck moisture from the body, but they dry really quickly.

Protecting the core of your body in the cold is the most important. You can wear multiple vests or singlets without restricting mobility to your arms since they're sleeveless garments. Although keep in mind that on ops you're gonna warm up a lot simply by moving around, so don't overdress either.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Psychlonic

Re: Layering Up For Winter

Post by Psychlonic » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:33 am

+1 on overdressing, that can be objectively worse since if you have to remove a layer to not overheat, you then have to carry that layer around in some manner which is a potential liability. I've always ran with the theory of going out just a tad bit chilly and then you'll be perfect as you move along throughout the night.
Knowledge alone is not power, it is the potential for power. That potential can only be unlocked through applying that knowledge and realizing the skill.