Communication Methods

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
inbartizan

Communication Methods

Post by inbartizan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:00 am

Hi NO, I would like to ask about "communication methods"

Let's say, I have a team consisting a Commander, Scout and Overlord.

So, there is a need of communication between them, both pre, during, and post operative.

In my mind, I divide the communication as Live communication and Recorded communication

Live communication consists of Radio, Phone call, and Internet call (the latter two will drain battery and money, also has a chance to be eavesdropped)

Recorded communication consists of SMS, email, internet chat (BBM, Line, etc), and letter

I would like to listen to your opinion, which one works best, and are there any other ways of communication than above listed

Thanks
... it won't be easy ...

Xanatos

Re: Communication Methods

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:28 pm

I'd avoid using anything that can be intercepted, especially during the op.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 pm

I've always found that traditional methods work best. My team and I use a mixture of gestures, hand signals, and small noises to communicate when we're not in speaking range. It's the least flexible method, but it's the safest by far. When you've known your partners for years, half the time you don't need to communicate anyway, you just know what they're thinking or how they'd react.

If you do undertake something that requires realtime communication not tied to line of sight, radio communications are the way to go.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

inbartizan

Post by inbartizan » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 am

How do you speak with "small noises" ?
... it won't be easy ...

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:40 pm

I prefer radios for team communication. You can get by on somewhat budget radios with encryption ability and earpieces. Throat mics are great but in the night ops realm if you have time to chatter then you have the time to key your mic traditionally. At something like NOPCON or other situations where everyone is within eyesight of each other most of the time you can get by with gestures and huddles and taking the minimalist approach is great. If you have situations where you need to split or the experience to warrant it though, it's good to be able to speak to each other. There's zero reason to be caught off guard because the second group wasn't able to tell you something was coming your way when a radio weighs next to nothing.

So, if everyone is staying in one group keep it minimum. If there is an expected split up during the op encrypted radios are a good, inexpensive piece of insurance.

There is also getting into uber territory like BKs that can scan police freqs then talk on different, encrypted freqs but you're looking at hefty weight and price tags. Does that make it the best radio no matter? Nope. never strap yourself down with more than you really need. Especially if shelling the money for awesome stuff is going to hurt you, because then you're going to worry too much about babying it. Carry gear that you are prepared to replace when it fails.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Anthony Sykes

Post by Anthony Sykes » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Æternaeon wrote:I prefer radios for team communication. You can get by on somewhat budget radios with encryption ability and earpieces. Throat mics are great
Old thread, but as someone that used professional throat mic systems, they are not night ops worthy. Throat mics were originally designed for tankers to use in loud tanks. The mic picks up throat vibrations of you yelling over the tank, but not the tank noises. One sensitive enough for night ops will suck and be fragile. With regards to encryption, that's just squelch, and my $50 FM scanner can listen to it in a matter of seconds. Unless you know radio technology, it's not secure.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:09 am

OPSEC and COMMSEC - operational security and communications security are important when night opping with a team. If using electronic communications like radios, I advise code phrases that tell the team to escape to a pre-determined meeting area, or tell the team that Police / Security are in the area. The Navy SEALS used a sucking clicking sounds when operating in the jungles of Nam, as it mimic'd the sounds of jungle insects, did not require the use of radios or talking when close to the enemy. In WW2, paratroopers used cricket clickers that sounded like crickets - dog clicker training devices are similar and I sometimes use these but they are louder. I have also used crow calls and bird calls to conceal team communication.
Attachments
dog clicker.jpg
dog training clickers can be found at most pet supply stores and only cost a few dollars
dog clicker.jpg (5.94 KiB) Viewed 15120 times

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:39 am

Hand signals are pretty common too, but they're obviously a bit harder to see in the dark.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

NINJAHAMMER

Post by NINJAHAMMER » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:35 am

Not only are hand signals harder to see in the dark but they require movement; and as we all know, the first thing people notice is movement. I was also considering the use of lasers for communication at night time. Now of course, others nearby can see the lasers but lasers are silent and can be used quickly to send a message. Another option is infrared light which is silent and invisible ( except to some security cameras or others using night vision) but requires night vision goggles, scopes or perhaps a digital camera. As seen in the movie 13 hours, Spec Ops used a laser pointed to the sky to pinpoint their location to arriving support. The use of IR light and lasers is usually safe as Police and Security are not commonly equipped with night vision, however, if you notice that a helicopter is in the area, you should refrain from using light and lasers as the FLIR equipped copter will easily detect it and it will pinpoint your location.