Chest rigs and how to use them effectively

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
FeartheNight

Chest rigs and how to use them effectively

Post by FeartheNight » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Over my past few ops, I have been using a chest rig that looks a lot like this one.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... DYQMygEMAQ

With a few pouches added on, I've been able to keep flashlights, knives, radios, and other equipment on hand extremely easy without using a pack or having to cram everything in pockets. While many companies produce a chest rig designed for military use, the ones I have found that work the best are the smaller, light weight ones which can be gotten for around $30-50 USD.

All in al, using the chest rig is a simple and easy way to store operation essentials and things you find on the op that you deem worthy to take. Used in conjunction with a backpack, you have effectively allowed yourself to store any number of other things in your backpack because all your essential tools are mounted right on your chest and stomach. This piece of gear is a very good way to increase your carrying capacity on ops and I highly recommend using one for longer ops and exploring buildings.

Xanatos

Re: Chest rigs and how to use them effectively

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:35 pm

There's been some talk a long time ago on the subject of LBVs and the like, the main problem I see with them is the amount of noise they make and restrictions on manoeuvrability. Have you encountered any drawbacks to wearing your chest rig? Does it make a lot of noise as you move about or something?
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

FeartheNight

Post by FeartheNight » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Xanatos wrote:There's been some talk a long time ago on the subject of LBVs and the like, the main problem I see with them is the amount of noise they make and restrictions on manoeuvrability. Have you encountered any drawbacks to wearing your chest rig? Does it make a lot of noise as you move about or something?
Mine is mostly made of fabric and nylon and the pouches I have mounted on it are much higher right about where my kings and diaphragm are so I can still curl up. I play airsoft as well in the same chest rig and have done so for a few years so it hasn't really affected my movement. If you are new to using a rig, then I can see it sort of restricting some movement, but it's nothing you can't get used to. If your rig is cinched down tight and doesn't move around a whole lot, it will not make much noise.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:15 pm

Alrighty then. I don't typically carry much gear and the gear I do carry is usually mounted comfortably on my belt, but I can see the advantage of a chest rig or LBV.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

FeartheNight

Post by FeartheNight » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Xanatos wrote:Alrighty then. I don't typically carry much gear and the gear I do carry is usually mounted comfortably on my belt, but I can see the advantage of a chest rig or LBV.
The belt idea is good as well

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:45 pm

A belt or tiny book bag work great if you need to carry any decent amount of gear. If you're willing to spend just a little money though, a drop leg MOLLE panel and a pouch of choice makes an awesome carrying device that'll carry whatever you need in a location that's both comfortable and won't get in the way navigating tight areas. As a piece of advice, modify the inside of the panel with a piece of cotton to completely silence it from rubbing against your trousers.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.