Help With Starting Gear.

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Lynx

Help With Starting Gear.

Post by Lynx » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:48 am

Currently, i have some leather fingerless gloves, a paper thin black hoodie (no warmth whatsoever) and a pair of black sweatpants.
Well, It's pretty shitty, no pockets at all, so i have to have a belt around my waist with my multitool (Gerber, sorry). I also have a headlight, a dark blue beanie, black-ish running shoes and a really colorful multibandana that i pull over my neck and face to conceal my identity and keep me warm. The problem is that it's fucking rainbow colored in really bright colors. So yeah.

I have a really small budget, too. So i found some of the cheapest things and i would need some help deciding which to get. Here goes. (Websites are Swedish)

Gloves:
STEALTH Combat Gloves with Reinforced Knuckles
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/handskar/st ... ealth-4405
I'm a fighter, so i would enjoy the reinforced knuckles. It's not a weapon per se, but it would give me a considerable advantage.

Black Kevlar Combat Gloves
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/handskar/ha ... vart-20185
I read Psychlonics guide on starting gear and read that kevlar provided the best protection. They cost a little more, but if i save up for two months i can get them.

Cargo Pants: (I have a fetish for them)
Black ACU Pants
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/faltuniform ... vart-15908

Nightcamo Stonewashed Cargo Pants
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/klader/sten ... camo-10896

Headgear: I usually have the dark blue beanie, my multibandana, headlamp and the hood from my black hoodie. Replacements?
1-Hole Simple Black Balaclava
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/mossor-och- ... svart-7421

Simple Balaclava with breathing mesh
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/mossor-och- ... vart-27071

That's all of my budget, really.

Also, i live in a nordic country, as you may have guessed.
I'm opping for fun, exploring the woods, climbing rooftops and so on. Buying black clothes and gear from a military shop could be considered as "suspicious".
How do i avoid getting vanned? Will the cops come knocking on my door if i buy these clothes?

Thanks in advance guys. I just need some help picking.
Don't take it too seriously, you're not coming out of it alive.

Xanatos

Re: Help With Starting Gear.

Post by Xanatos » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:29 pm

I and many others on this site buy military stuff all the time, there's nothing suspicious about it. The vendors will probably think you're using it for camping, paintball, airsoft or a photo shoot - anything but crime. The police won't care either; it's perfectly legal to own anything military that's not directly a weapon (so no firearms, grenades, etc). The only people who are going to bother are your parents/housemates however, so focus on hiding stuff from them.

As for the gear you've selected I'd go with the balaclava with the breathing holes, the stonewash cargo pants (better material, pattern and more pockets - just try to remove the white markings on the right leg) and... I'm undecided on the gloves you chose there, your preference.

Alternatively, you can try making your own gear or re-purposing existing gear. Dying 'civilian' clothes to a darker shade, making your own headgear out of spare bits of fabric, etc. Experiment!
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:18 pm

Xanatos wrote:I and many others on this site buy military stuff all the time, there's nothing suspicious about it. The vendors will probably think you're using it for camping, paintball, airsoft or a photo shoot - anything but crime. The police won't care either; it's perfectly legal to own anything military that's not directly a weapon (so no firearms, grenades, etc). The only people who are going to bother are your parents/housemates however, so focus on hiding stuff from them.

As for the gear you've selected I'd go with the balaclava with the breathing holes, the stonewash cargo pants (better material, pattern and more pockets - just try to remove the white markings on the right leg) and... I'm undecided on the gloves you chose there, your preference.

Alternatively, you can try making your own gear or re-purposing existing gear. Dying 'civilian' clothes to a darker shade, making your own headgear out of spare bits of fabric, etc. Experiment!
Alright, thanks. I'm a bit paranoid.
I settled for Mesh Balaclava, Stone Wash Cargos and Kevlar gloves.
I got a kid who can buy the stuff for me, so my parents won't notice too hard. Thanks for the help though!

By the way, do you have any experience with kevlar gloves?

EDIT:
Just found this
http://www.rodastjarnan.com/klader/trop ... vart-18299

Will i have use of it in the future? I currently have a simple military belt that i have my binoculars, multitool and camera on. It snags a lot. Will an LBV be easier?

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:15 am

In my experience, belts are typically the least cumbersome option, unless you are carrying large amounts of gear. For those not used to wearing a vest or plate carrier, you'll notice it snag a good bit, as well as feeling unnatural and restrictive.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Lynx

Post by Lynx » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 am

Ghost wrote:In my experience, belts are typically the least cumbersome option, unless you are carrying large amounts of gear. For those not used to wearing a vest or plate carrier, you'll notice it snag a good bit, as well as feeling unnatural and restrictive.
Hmmm, then i should get a better belt. It's a plain green one and it sits weird on me.
Perhaps in the future when i may be into relieveing people from the burden of their posessions i would need some more storage...
I'll stick to the belt so far, but I'm not happy with it.

Any suggestions for an alternative? No, seriously, It's an ordinary belt which i put around my waist, not through my pants. Can't have it otherwise.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:34 am

Get a different belt then and use the belt loops on your trousers.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

What Xaxa said. You deffinitely want pants with belt loops, and as for the belt - try a riggers belt or an instructors gun belt. They are both wide and rigid, very good for holding gear.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."