Winter Gear

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Marzka

Winter Gear

Post by Marzka » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Alright guys, winter time has come. Let's see some winter nop gear!

-What's your winter tactic?
-How snowy is it in your region, will you dress in a different colour to adapt?
-What challenges will you need to prepare for with gear?
Nightops is gud, yo.

Xanatos

Re: Winter Gear

Post by Xanatos » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:13 am

Southern hemisphere. Snow is a myth. Full of spiders. :roll:
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Winter gives me many challenges due to the snow and cold as I live near Chicago. Hope to see how others are dealing with Winter. Promised my team I would try to see what others are doing.
Poltergeist
XS
Extra Stealth

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:24 am

I like winter for opping more so than summer, as it is more comfortable to cover up your skin. A face mask, long pants, long sleeve shirt, hood, and boots are pretty miserable during the summer. Where I live, there is never excessive snow, so it is usually easy to conceal tracks somehow. The nights are longer during the winter, which is an obvious advantage. Another factor that often goes unnoticed is that least people are likely to be outside at midnight on a winter night than a summer night. As far as gear, I would just add more layers. Usually the colors would remain the same, given the lack of snow. If there was heavy snow, I would probably do some sort of white speckled with muted greens and browns.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:53 am

Zerg wrote:I like winter for opping more so than summer, as it is more comfortable to cover up your skin. A face mask, long pants, long sleeve shirt, hood, and boots are pretty miserable during the summer. Where I live, there is never excessive snow, so it is usually easy to conceal tracks somehow. The nights are longer during the winter, which is an obvious advantage. Another factor that often goes unnoticed is that least people are likely to be outside at midnight on a winter night than a summer night.
That's pretty much my situation as well. Another advantage is winter fog, especially early in the mornings. Makes getting back home a lot easier.
We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each lies an irreparable truth.
What is locked, can be opened. What is hidden, can be found. What is yours... can be mine.

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:17 am

A problem I'm facing in Winter is that the frost makes the grass really crunchy to step on. Everything seems much stiller and queiter in winterm so the crunching can often make more noise than I would want.
Nightops is gud, yo.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:11 am

That and the frost also soaks through to your feet and leaves footsteps.

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:39 am

Trees, and most vegetation for that matter, have less foliage to break up your silhouette.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Damn you guys. Most winters, we've got several feet of snow on the ground. Once we get the first snow that sticks, that's generally considered the "end" of the opping season around here. It typically takes some very special circumstances to justify a winter op, as the risk of leaving tracks that will last for months is too great for casual opping.

However, there is an ancient Japanese art, perfected by ninja clans of ages past... An art that allows an operative to maneuver over any amount of snow and not leave a single footprint or track - Ah crap, I fear I've said too much already. Just ignore that bit.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Roxas

Post by Roxas » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:06 am

it shall be my first actual time opping in a snowy region, as when i started last year we had gotten no snow, i shall take this as a challenge
The problem with trying to be the bad guy, is that there is always someone worse

aaronderuiter

Post by aaronderuiter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:00 pm

About this, I'll probably have to quit opping as soon as I began because of this snow thing. I have no proper camo for it. And it looks like it's going to be a snowy winter this year, it's barely December and it is already freezing and ever so slightly snowing.
Anyhow, I got my shit ready for the first op, looking forward to it. Tonight's the night I go check out a construction site.
"I suggest you back that back-up of your back-up up, and while you're at it, maybe you could back it up once more."

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:12 pm

Looking forward to debrief.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:18 pm

Well I guess I may as well admit my shame now. I have opped in a greatcoat in the dead of winter before combined with wool socks, gloves, and cap to keep the vital areas warm. This setup has allowed me to stay out all night without becoming uncomfortable in the slightest. The idea is to only do simple, very low risk ops and if something go wrongs then I simply wait out someone who didn't dress as warmly as I have. I can do a gear list if anyone likes.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:13 am

Ok guys, might as well get this over with sooner rather then later. There is in fact a technique for opping in snowy environments without leaving a single footprint, but it's something of a site "secret". I'll talk it over with some of the veterans here, and see if everyone is ok with sharing. Keep in mind it's a little out there, but it works exactly as advertized. All jokes about "tunneljutsu" aside, this shit is real.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:30 am

Not the hoverboard thing again... :roll:

Marzka

Post by Marzka » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:24 pm

Ghost wrote:Ok guys, might as well get this over with sooner rather then later. There is in fact a technique for opping in snowy environments without leaving a single footprint, but it's something of a site "secret". I'll talk it over with some of the veterans here, and see if everyone is ok with sharing. Keep in mind it's a little out there, but it works exactly as advertized. All jokes about "tunneljutsu" aside, this shit is real.
Did you post this again because no one gave any attention the first time? :P
Nightops is gud, yo.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:45 pm

Eh, I was going to go on this huge rant about operatives running around in cotton ball ghillie suits and superman-diving into snow banks, just to see if we could convince someone to do it, but there wasn't enough interest amongst newbs. Perhaps next year.

Teutoni

Post by Teutoni » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Just so much disappointment.
Keep 'em chained, boys!

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:24 am

Teutoni wrote:much disappointment.
Such let down

Wow

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:47 pm

Many sadness

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 am

Very cry.

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:55 pm

Shiba Inu
Very overuse
Wow

Poltergeist

Post by Poltergeist » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:48 pm

Still very snowy in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. Can't wait to get the team and myself back outside oping. We're on our little "offseason" at the moment.
Poltergeist
XS
Extra Stealth

Phoenicius

Post by Phoenicius » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:05 pm

Poltergeist wrote:Still very snowy in the suburbs of Chicago, IL. Can't wait to get the team and myself back outside oping. We're on our little "offseason" at the moment.
I never recalled you posting about you and your team. You did say you would, have you gotten around to it yet? I have been waiting for months now.
Iunctos nos Sto, Tribuo nos Cado