Thoughts on Padlock Shims

Tools and equipment to get the job done.
Æternaeon

Thoughts on Padlock Shims

Post by Æternaeon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:10 am

Padlock shims are devices intended to slip into the shackles of padlocks with loose tolerances, forcing the lockers inward and releasing the shackle. It's the same idea as carding a door where you're attacking a different part of the lock besides the cylinder.

As most familiar with the devices know, you can make improvised versions out of aluminum cans. Rather than be awesome and give you my own instructions on making them, I'm just going to send you this link instead:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Padlock-Shim

The thing is that these are very soft and very difficult to use. They make great practice because of this, but you do NOT want to depend on them for an operation. Sure, they can work and if that's all you can get then go for it. But be prepared for failures and carry a lot.

The better option is just to cough up a paltry sum for the steel ones you can purchase instead (or manufacture your own if you have the equipment to do so). These wear out too, but they are far more rigid and are less infuriating to use. They won't make you magically able to bypass padlocks, you still need to practice.

Speaking of padlocks, once again these only work with models that have loose tolerances. If there's no room to slide shims in, the option is toast. Furthermore, many designs have a case that wraps a considerable length up the shackle preventing you from using a shim. These are very common on storage units here, as an example.

So let's consider the realistic application of these. Getting into low security areas. Not to say it's useless! Lots of neat places or buildings with potential loot will use Masterlocks that can usually be shimmed as another example. But the skill is limited in scope. Again if I may compare with carding a door. It's a method that if you can use it, awesome. It's faster than picking if you're practiced in the skill. But you can't realistically expect to carry a set of shims and blaze through all the padlocks out there.

Because of the light weight, I would recommend anyone to go out and buy a set -they're dirt cheap - and carrying them on any operation you suspect you might need them. But have a back-up option, expect them to fail. Carry a pick set, some good wrenches, and if you're on one of those one-in-a-lifetime OPportunities where you cannot fail maybe consider a pair of bolt cutters as a last resort guaranteed method to brute force through - you will leave evidence though. Fail the mission completely or fail somewhat as an operative by leaving evidence... up to you.

Anyways, for your consideration. Because of the ability to make them from cans, it's an option I think we ALL have. If you have tin snips you can make your own much more rigid ones really easily. File the edges to smooth. During the operation, you might also encounter a padlock without the proper gear on you but you may just find a can you convert to some shims to attempt to expediently get through. It's a skill I think all operatives can benefit from having in their toolbox, just don't rely on it.
Sacrifice the body, not the heart.

Ghost

Re: Thoughts on Padlock Shims

Post by Ghost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:49 am

That's a great write up on shims, and the first bit pretty much sums up my experiences with them. I've attempted to make my own out if aluminum cans many, many times, and they always seem way too soft. I end up with a 1/10 success rate at best, and obviously they are only one time use.

I keep telling myself I'll buy some professionally made ones, just because they take up almost no weight/space and could save a lot of time when getting through padlocks without destroying them. Of course I've yet to put an order in for any...

Procrastination Ho!
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:05 am

Ghost, if you have a pair of those cut-anything scissors, try using a food can with a large enough flat area to make a couple shims. They're miles ahead of the aluminum ones. Use some kind of flat hammer to smash everything flat into place but otherwise construct the same as you would an aluminum. You can decide from there if it's worth ponying up for the dedicated ones.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Ooh, that's a good idea. I'll have to give that a try next weekend. Hopefully I'll remember to pick up some "real" ones as well, they are relatively cheap.
"A man's greatest treasures are his illusions."

Zerg

Post by Zerg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:58 am

Along the lines of not attacking the lock itself... If you don't have any luck with picking or using a shim, then ignore the lock completely. Even with a 200$ top notch lock, often there will be a thin and weak, even rusting hasp to which the lock is attached. You can often just use tin snips, or anything you can get your hands on, with a little coaxing.

Æternaeon

Post by Æternaeon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 pm

I've found that to be the case sometimes. It boils down to whether or not the operative wants to leave evidence of a break in or not. On the other hand, sometimes the idiots mount the hasp in a manner that gives you access to the screws, giving you the ability to open it up without leaving evidence (assuming you reattach it afterward).